What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Needs To Be Proactive

http://stadium.berkeley.edu/

south-view-at-night.jpg

34B_University-Club_HNTB.jpg

Spurrier was just one facet of the Gamecock's improvement. he was an investment just like the facilities were.

Woopdy doo. Doctored pictures of other stadiums.

Folsom actually looks as good or better as it currently is:

folsom2.jpg

folsom_field_exterior.jpg

Woopdy doo. Doctored pictures of other stadiums.

Folsom actually looks as good or better as it currently is:

folsom2.jpg

folsom_field_exterior.jpg
I love Folsom but it needs renovations. Bathrooms are falling apart, Balch is a dump and needs to be redone, bleachers need to be fixed. We're going to fall behind in the arms race like we did in teh big 12 if we're not proactive.

I agree - it's time to really start kicking the facility upgrade plan into gear.

I love Folsom but it needs renovations. Bathrooms are falling apart, Balch is a dump and needs to be redone, bleachers need to be fixed. We're going to fall behind in the arms race like we did in teh big 12 if we're not proactive.

I totally agree. I think facilities and coaching salaries need to be heavily invested in.

I totally agree. I think facilities and coaching salaries need to be heavily invested in.

Hopefully, this will come as major pay increases to reward our revenue head coaches (Embree & Boyle) and retain their top assistants (or be able to attract top replacements as guys leave for promotion opportunities).

Let's take out a loan from the university for all this. Then default on it. We should then be eligible for modification.

I thought at some point there was talk of putting the indoor practice facility where Franklin Field is now? I'm not sure how viable it is to build a large facility north of Dal Ward. That is one steep hill.

Anyway, I agree that now is the time for a facilities makeover. There is no reason we can't be a premier program in the Pac-12 as it is currently constructed.

Last edited:
I thought at some point there was talk of putting the indoor practice facility where Franklin Field is now? I'm not sure how viable it is to build a large facility north of Dal Ward. That is one steep hill.
Franklin Field seems too small as well IMO. It's a steep hill but could add a cool design element although I doubt the environmental freaks would be too happy about knocking out those trees and building something above Boulder Creek.

Not sure I agree that indoor track facilities are an imperative part of a permanent indoor facility. It is throwing money down the drain because we are never going to premier meets in Boulder, so why try to make an indoor facility to match Arkansas or A&M? It would be like trying to renovate Potts to compete with Hayward Field.

At the beginning of this thread, those posting sounded like the previous PAC-10 commissioner, Hansen. He advocated all was well, no need to change. WRONG! CU MUST be Larry Scott like and move forward quickly, dramatically, thoughtfully, and smart. We have been granted a window and now must think like the "big boys" we all aspire our Buffaloes to be. We cannot wait for 10-15 years for advancements, we're already very far behind. We need to quickly elevate our revenue coaches pay to attract and retain the very best. We also must modernize and expand our facilities to attract the cream of the crop athletes to attain the success we all desire. This, in turn, will generate the revenue to sustain success. We have a guaranteed revenue stream coming soon that should allow our AD to be creative in planning and implementing major changes in the way CU athletics does business. Money attracts more money and we should be able to attract more major donors. Boulder and the University provide us with a major advantage over most other institutions. The time to leverage this advantage is NOW!

Agree that things must start happening right away. I expect (hope)

1. New video boards and speakers by next football season.
2. Balch absolutely must be redone. It is a total cluster**** there during pregame/halftime, especially during cold games. It's a mass of humanity. You've got lines 200 people long to take a piss. There's like 4 places to get lemonade and those lines go all the way across the fieldhouse. On top of that, I think the old press box and the wall of fame look super sh$tty. We could upgrade that at the same time and put some luxury seats in there as well. Extra $$$$. If we could put offices or something around the Carlson gym area, that would just be an added benefit. I want this renovation project to start by spring 2013.
3. A permanant indoor facility is CRITICAL! We need to get that going too. Start summer 2014.
4. I think we need another multi-level parking structure somewhere near the stadium. Hopefully by this time, we're kicking ass and taking names. Improve parking options. 2015.
5. Expand stadium, 2015-2016
6. Profit

At the beginning of this thread, those posting sounded like the previous PAC-10 commissioner, Hansen. He advocated all was well, no need to change. WRONG! CU MUST be Larry Scott like and move forward quickly, dramatically, thoughtfully, and smart. We have been granted a window and now must think like the "big boys" we all aspire our Buffaloes to be. We cannot wait for 10-15 years for advancements, we're already very far behind. We need to quickly elevate our revenue coaches pay to attract and retain the very best. We also must modernize and expand our facilities to attract the cream of the crop athletes to attain the success we all desire. This, in turn, will generate the revenue to sustain success. We have a guaranteed revenue stream coming soon that should allow our AD to be creative in planning and implementing major changes in the way CU athletics does business. Money attracts more money and we should be able to attract more major donors. Boulder and the University provide us with a major advantage over most other institutions. The time to leverage this advantage is NOW!

How? Who is going to lend us money right now? Funding is getting slashed for Higher Ed every year in Colorado - and we're going to go beg someone for some money to build facilities? The economy is in the tank, yet we're expecting people to turn around and donate large sums of cash to build facilities?

Those things may happen in another football crazed city or state, but not here in Colorado where the Buffs are 5th or 6th on the sports entertainment food chain.

This is going to be a slow-build using the influx of cash from the media contracts - unless a big donor steps up somewhere.

agree that things must start happening right away. I expect (hope)

1. New video boards and speakers by next football season.
2. Balch absolutely must be redone. It is a total cluster**** there during pregame/halftime, especially during cold games. It's a mass of humanity. You've got lines 200 people long to take a piss. There's like 4 places to get lemonade and those lines go all the way across the fieldhouse. On top of that, i think the old press box and the wall of fame look super sh$tty. We could upgrade that at the same time and put some luxury seats in there as well. Extra $$$$. If we could put offices or something around the carlson gym area, that would just be an added benefit. I want this renovation project to start by spring 2013.
3. A permanant indoor facility is critical! We need to get that going too. Start summer 2014.
4. I think we need another multi-level parking structure somewhere near the stadium. Hopefully by this time, we're kicking ass and taking names. Improve parking options. 2015.
5. Expand stadium, 2015-2016
6. Profit
7. Resume selling beer at the stadium

fify

Not sure I agree that indoor track facilities are an imperative part of a permanent indoor facility. It is throwing money down the drain because we are never going to premier meets in Boulder, so why try to make an indoor facility to match Arkansas or A&M? It would be like trying to renovate Potts to compete with Hayward Field.
Why not try to though? Unless you're talking from a money point of view but Arkansas' new facility cost $28 million.

By next year we should see the Video boards and sound system, and we can increase coaching salaries to competitive levels with the new media contract. Everything else is going to take some time to raise funds for

Hmmm, I seem to remember a proposal along these lines . . .

Goal: Provide facilities for year-round practice and competition with prior access and scheduling to intercollegiate athletics.
Status: The cross country course is near completion while skiing has an adequate practice and competition venue. Football, basketball, track, tennis (indoor) and volleyball were determined to have inadequate or limited venues for practice while soccer and golf were limited.

Goal: Sky boxes and club seating.
Status: Phase I groundbreaking is scheduled for April 16 with completion by Aug. 1, 2003.

Goal: Build South Campus Sport Complex.
Status: Cross country course is near completion with tennis moving to the property in the fall of 2002. the master plan has passed the campus approval process.

Goal: To build a new fieldhouse with northeast seating and underground parking.
Status: The success of this goal is dependent on Phase I of Folsom Field Expansion (suites/boxes) and contributions received from fundraising efforts.

Goal: To provide state-of-the-art academic support facilities.
Status: There is no progress as it is dependent on Phase II (fieldhouse) of Folsom Field Plan

Goal: Expand and remodel the Coors Events/Conference Center for practice facilities, meeting space, ticket operations and concessions.
Status: There is no progress as it is not on the current 3-5 year plan.

Goal: To develop our facilities with financial integrity and ensure that our facilities will provide revenue opportunities.

Goal: To collaborate with the campus and community to establish facilities sharing.
Status: Our facilities are currently used by the Boulder and campus communities and all future plans take into consideration community involvement.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=31791&SPID=274&SPSID=4460

Why not try to though? Unless you're talking from a money point of view but Arkansas' new facility cost $28 million.

We have been through this before. It is a waste of money that could be going elsewhere. Big meets would warrant really nice track facilities, but those meets are not coming to Boulder.

How? Who is going to lend us money right now? Funding is getting slashed for Higher Ed every year in Colorado - and we're going to go beg someone for some money to build facilities? The economy is in the tank, yet we're expecting people to turn around and donate large sums of cash to build facilities?

Those things may happen in another football crazed city or state, but not here in Colorado where the Buffs are 5th or 6th on the sports entertainment food chain.

This is going to be a slow-build using the influx of cash from the media contracts - unless a big donor steps up somewhere.

I believe that with Benson raising $1.5 billion for funding of academic facility upgrades focused on the East Campus, that forces relocation of some athletics facilities from that site. Therefore, we have some facility money coming in from that source already. When I see what was able to get done with the Basketball & Volleyball practice facility for under $20 million, I'm confident that we have the revenue streams coming in to make a lot of exciting things happen with facilities going forward.

Back