What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado & Utah To The Pac10 ? hmm ?

no ****ing way UT turns down the Pac 10. If they do, their regents should be SHOT. I mean, the amt of money they would make from the sswitch is ridiculous.

yup, other teams from different conferences play each other every year, it's not that hard. plus, the holy war doesn't sound like something you can just end.

They have before and why leave a conference that they have all to themselves?

I think he means UTah, not UTexass... I wouldn't say Utah has the MWC all to themselves at this point. And I'm not aware of them turning down the Pac-10, but I could be forgetting that...

I think he means UTah, not UTexass... I wouldn't say Utah has the MWC all to themselves at this point. And I'm not aware of them turning down the Pac-10, but I could be forgetting that...

Dammit I thought he meant UTejas.

Carry on......

The article makes sense in that the conference wouldn't be interested in any of the California schools (SDSU, Fresno, SJSU) because they wouldn't bring in any new TV markets. UNM and UNLV are interesting and realistic possibilities if either CU or Utah doesn't work out, if the Pac-10 is willing to take their typically subpar football programs that don't draw well. But Vegas already gets Pac-10 games when it comes to ABC regionals so that could make UNM a more likely candidate than UNLV.

EDIT: They would be very wise to find out what value a Pac-12 would have to ABC/ESPiN or to some other network, then look to land a nice chunk of that additional revenue in return for making this happen...

Some other network would be Fox Sports. Currently you'll see almost as much PAC 10 Football/Basketball on FSN Rocky Mountain than you would Big 12, and definitely more than the Mountain West(which could be due to the Mountain Network). A lot of national broadcasts in there. It'd be interesting to see how a PAC 10/12 network would fit in to all of this.

Some other network would be Fox Sports. Currently you'll see almost as much PAC 10 Football/Basketball on FSN Rocky Mountain than you would Big 12, and definitely more than the Mountain West(which could be due to the Mountain Network). A lot of national broadcasts in there. It'd be interesting to see how a PAC 10/12 network would fit in to all of this.

Fox was my first thought as well. I really would hate to see CU in a conference that relied entirely on regional cable for their TV package, but if Fox itself wanted to get into the CFB game during the regular season and tie that to their regional cable nets, I could see that happening.

I have a feeling that ABC/ESPiN might pay pretty nicely to have a Pac-10 title game to broadcast, too... But in their case they really don't gain as much, because the Denver market is already pretty much tied to their CFB package through the Big XII....

I have a feeling that ABC/ESPiN might pay pretty nicely to have a Pac-10 title game to broadcast, too... But in their case they really don't gain as much, because the Denver market is already pretty much tied to their CFB package through the Big XII....

Good point. You'd think they'd be all over this though. A PAC 12 would be the only big dog around in the west. Pretty much every big tv market from border to border, and Front Range to Cali would be theirs.

a p10(12) network deal would be a part of the equation. all the non-rev sports, plus coaches' shows, replays of big games, etc. would be on it.

one of the big networks will shell out a fortune for the football and probably a lot of the bb rights. and the ccg rights, of course.

@everyone bitchin' about my use of "@"-- i am bored with always quoting and this is a way to shorthand to whom i am specifically speaking. thus: @everyone bitchin': :finger:

:lol:

Junc!

As always your insight is an inspiration. I regret that I will never be able to even dare to hope to achieve such dizzying heights of intellect

You're right. That does work pretty damn sweet!!!! :thumbsup:

Big 12 By-Laws

In case anyone is interested, Section 3 of that document regarding "Membership" discusses the penalties for leaving the conference. Looks like you can give 2 years notice and take a 50% reduction in your share for 2 years or you can make a clean break but owe damages. I think I read that right. Be good to know when the current agreement term ends, because that also factors into it.

being in the Pac 10 won't change the fact we suck out loud.

i'd be honest, i'd be shocked if this happens. like #6 Jeff Lewis wins a Super Bowl shocked.

Last edited:
I think a good portion of the fans that want us to move are doing so because they think it would somehow end our suckage. It won't.

We've been with Oklahoma and Nebraska for a long time. I see no reason to leave now.

I think a good portion of the fans that want us to move are doing so because they think it would somehow end our suckage. It won't.

We've been with Oklahoma and Nebraska for a long time. I see no reason to leave now.

Where in this dialogue did you see evidence of that sentiment?

Reasons why BYU won't be invited:

Utah might not be as popular a draw as BYU but that gap would close quickly with Pac-10 opponents filling the schedule.

The main issue (aside from the Sunday scheduling) would be the academic one. The presidents want high-profile research institutions, and Utah fits that mold and BYU does not. BYU is a great school for what it does aim to serve (undergraduates).

"Politically" there are some issues as well:

In 1992, the university drafted a new Statement on Academic Freedom,[70] specifying that limitations may be placed upon "expression with students or in public that: (1) contradicts or opposes, rather than analyzes or discusses, fundamental Church doctrine or policy; (2) deliberately attacks or derides the Church or its general leaders; or (3) violates the Honor Code because the expression is dishonest, illegal, unchaste, profane, or unduly disrespectful of others." These restrictions have caused some controversy as several professors have been disciplined according to the new rule. The American Association of University Professors has claimed that "infringements on academic freedom are distressingly common and that the climate for academic freedom is distressingly poor."

Stanford, Cal, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, and Arizona are all prominent members of the AAU, with Stanford being a founding member of that entity.

The move would not end our suckage. Our suckage will remain until Hawkins is gone. But we'd have a new coach before the move anyway, so that's not really the point. The point is that I think this would be a great move, financially. It would re-connect a lot of alumni with the school.

Let's face it, does it really matter if we're getting our heads bashed in by Southern Cal or by Texas? Same difference, IMO. However, if the money afforded the CUAD by a move to the Pac 10 would allow us to bring back a few sports and gain better exposure, I'm 100% behind it.

Big 12 By-Laws

In case anyone is interested, Section 3 of that document regarding "Membership" discusses the penalties for leaving the conference. Looks like you can give 2 years notice and take a 50% reduction in your share for 2 years or you can make a clean break but owe damages. I think I read that right. Be good to know when the current agreement term ends, because that also factors into it.

Section 3.3 requires that proper notice is 2 years prior to the end of the current "additional term", which ends on July 1, 2011. In order to be considered a "withdrawing member" and the 50% reduction, we would have had to give notice prior to July 1, 2009.

If proper notice is not given, then the withdrawal would classify us as a "Breaching Member":
If notice was given by January 1, 2010 then we would have a 70% reduction in revenues.
If notice is to be given by July 1, 2010 then it would be a 80% reduction.
If notice is to be given by January 1, 2011 then it would be a 90% reduction.
If notice is to be given by July 1, 2011 then it would be a 100% reduciton.

The move would not end our suckage. Our suckage will remain until Hawkins is gone. But we'd have a new coach before the move anyway, so that's not really the point. The point is that I think this would be a great move, financially. It would re-connect a lot of alumni with the school.

Let's face it, does it really matter if we're getting our heads bashed in by Southern Cal or by Texas? Same difference, IMO. However, if the money afforded the CUAD by a move to the Pac 10 would allow us to bring back a few sports and gain better exposure, I'm 100% behind it.

This. And....

In the once in a while that we would win the conference, do you want to go bowling at the:

Fiesta Bowl - or - Rose Bowl ?????

The idea of watching the Buffs in the Rose Bowl is highly attractive to me. It may never happen in my lifetime, but we'd have a one in 12 chance of it happening every year. Right now, we have a zero in infinity chance of it happening.

The idea of watching the Buffs in the Rose Bowl is highly attractive to me. It may never happen in my lifetime, but we'd have a one in 12 chance of it happening every year. Right now, we have a zero in infinity chance of it happening.

Yeah. Imagine a Rose Bowl vs Michigan!?

Holy crap that would be ALLSOME!

How about the possibility of going to San Diego to watch CU play Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl.

a move won't end our current state of suckitude, but it would arrest the fall. here's why: new conf. = new enthusiasm among beaten-down boosters. presume a better $ package from the p10 (or we wouldn't move). presume more donor $ because of renewed hope due to the change. presume better recruiting out of the gate on the west coast.

also, this staff will likely be gone when we start up so it will be like a whole new fresh start. there is rebuilding that must be done, but i think a move the p10 sets a better foundation for a turnaround.

Whatever they do I hope they get the TV contract fixed from this Big12 crap so that every CU game is televised in the Denver area. No more of this being stuck watching a two other teams from our conference play while our Buffs don't even get televised locally.

Now lets get this move done!

Oh yeah, one more thing as far as the travel goes... I don't think the football team has done it, but I know the basketball and smaller sized teams like that fly out of Jeffco usually. There are more ways to travel than ****ty airlines.

Back