What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40pm MT

RealTimeRPI prediction is up, gives Buffs the slightest of edges, predicting a 66-65 Buff win. Buffs with a 50.7% chance of victory.

http://realtimerpi.com/bin/rtr/rpi/scouting?team1=185&team2=143&gender=1&home=vs&date=03-22

I come in peace. Well sort of.... I've seen a couple of Buffs posters dogging on the Illini's sub-.500 record in league play. These numbers shed some light on why that isn't really a good barometer of our league record. Pac-12: RPI Ranking Average - 90 SOS Ranking Average - 62

Big 10: RPI Ranking Average - 68 SOS Ranking Average - 31 The Big Ten teams beat up on each other during the course of the season. I don't think the Pac-12 can say that. The strength of schedule comparison alone shows you how tough a league the Big Ten is. We had some close wins and lost a few we shouldn't have, but I'm guessing your Buffs struggled with some teams they shouldn't have and probably lost a few games to teams you shouldn't have. All in all I think it will be a good game on Friday.

We did beat 2 #1 seeds. And they both (at one point) were ranked #1 in the country.

Dude, we know. I thought you of all people were smarter than this. However, you're a 7 seed (and frankly a team that should be an 8 or 9). I don't know where this segment of your fan base gets this idea that we should be worshipping you and thinking we have no chance. There's a lot to like about our chances as opposition. You've played some downright mediocre (or plain bad) basketball, and more often than you'd like to admit. We don't sit here pretending we're a 1 seed, so don't counter with anything about CU. We know what we are. However, chances are you're going to be in for a rude awakening if you expect a stroll.

I come in peace. Well sort of.... I've seen a couple of Buffs posters dogging on the Illini's sub-.500 record in league play. These numbers shed some light on why that isn't really a good barometer of our league record. Pac-12: RPI Ranking Average - 90 SOS Ranking Average - 62

Big 10: RPI Ranking Average - 68 SOS Ranking Average - 31 The Big Ten teams beat up on each other during the course of the season. I don't think the Pac-12 can say that. The strength of schedule comparison alone shows you how tough a league the Big Ten is. We had some close wins and lost a few we shouldn't have, but I'm guessing your Buffs struggled with some teams they shouldn't have and probably lost a few games to teams you shouldn't have. All in all I think it will be a good game on Friday.

The P12 all went on a collective vacation and skipped the regular season. Most of the games were auto-simulated too. Stanford figured out a program to accurately predict each possession outcome.

Guessing you haven't seen many P12 games! They're mostly on the P12 Network, outsiders not welcome. Also, some of us can't get access either.

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread

We did beat 2 #1 seeds. And they both (at one point) were ranked #1 in the country.

You're joking. By that logic we've beaten the #16 team in the nation BAILER, the #3 team in the nation Arizona. #10 Oregon. #19 CSU.

Dude, we know. I thought you of all people were smarter than this. However, you're a 7 seed (and frankly a team that should be an 8 or 9). I don't know where this segment of your fan base gets this idea that we should be worshipping you and thinking we have no chance. There's a lot to like about our chances as opposition. You've played some downright mediocre (or plain bad) basketball, and more often than you'd like to admit. We don't sit here pretending we're a 1 seed, so don't counter with anything about CU. We know what we are. However, chances are you're going to be in for a rude awakening if you expect a stroll.

I think you misunderstand me. I think the Illini got the seed they deserved. 7 is about right. My point is that the Illini can play with any team in the country and have proved it. So commenting on playing down to their competition only really helps your point if you think the Buffs are an inferior team. I'm not saying that the Buffs shouldn't feel they can win this, but they should definitely understand that they are an underdog for a reason. They're not as good. Can they win? Sure. Will they win? I don't think so.

I think you misunderstand me. I think the Illini got the seed they deserved. 7 is about right. My point is that the Illini can play with any team in the country and have proved it. So commenting on playing down to their competition only really helps your point if you think the Buffs are an inferior team. I'm not saying that the Buffs shouldn't feel they can win this, but they should definitely understand that they are an underdog for a reason. They're not as good. Can they win? Sure. Will they win? I don't think so.

I don't think you understand me. I don't feel CU is the worse team. I think it's essentially dead-even (you're favored by 1 in Vegas, a site I heavily rely on gives CU a 50.7% chance of winning). The truth is, Illinois was in the 8-9 range, and CU was technically the 36th team of the tournament and dropped down to the 10 line for adjustment purposes. You're kidding yourself if you think there's any serious margin between a 7 and 10, in this of all seasons. It's not you "playing down" to competition if it's a close game. I know you're sitting looking at the Oregon State game on our schedule with a grin on your face not understanding circumstances. I'll let the surprise come to you on Friday.

Last edited:

What's worrying me is how much more veteran your team is than ours. We have 1 senior and he is a former walk-on. We're starting 2 frosh and 2 sophs. I honestly don't know if the Buffs will take a while to figure things out in this game or if they just won't know any better, play loose, and rise to the moment. We have been very good in neutral site games this year (4-1) and have generally played our best against the best teams on our schedule (except for a couple road disasters - Kansas and Cal). I think CU is more likely to play well. I'd actually be a lot more worried if we were playing a mid-major. They'll respect you guys and probably all saw at least highlights of you taking down Indiana. So they'll be fired up for the challenge.

Not sure your point. But our best wins are better than your best wins.

This is cute. We've garnered basketball trolls. Taddy has our bb team all grown up!

Now, on to the troll at hand: your wee wee is way smaller than ours and you attended the midwestern safety school of choice. Arizona state feels your rage.

How lame it is to tout being a favorite by 1 friggen point. This just rivaled "we beat Minn" as the saddest reason an Illinois fan has to feel good about themselves. I'd like us to be seen as the underdog. Highly doubt this team gives a **** though.

I don't know what you guys are pissed off about.

I'd like to keep this fun. It's not like the Buffs and Illini will ever be rivals. Let's just enjoy the tourney week, learn a bit about them, and keep it light. Some of you seem a little thin-skinned to me. I'm not sure what that's all about. If you're going to go after the Illinois fans, at least try to be funny.

lets see two top 25 teams, regular season champ with a record of 13-5 and a massive drop off from top to bottom in conference, and under-performing team in UCLA wins the regular season championship and a conference record of 10-8 gets you the five seed in your tournament

as compared to the big ten...

5 top 25 teams, regular season champ is a number 1 seed in tourney, 5 wooden award finalists, the top 5 spots are decided by 2 games and an overall fantastic conference tournament with great competition/coaching/and skill level

B1G>P12

B1G was sick this year.

Would have had another team in the Dance if Iowa had realized before the season that they would have a tourney-caliber team and needed to schedule some warm bodies in the noncon.

Interesting because as I see it, Big ten has the more prominent academic schools in Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State and Indiana al rank in the top 50 schools in the US (can't take anything away from Stanford/USC/UCLA which are fantastic schools), the big ten has far better endowment than the Pac 12 seeing as we have 8 schools in the top 50 in endowment and you have 3and I will give you climate theres no arguing I'd rather live in SoCal than in central illinois

Let's not do the academic rankings smack. FLounder's a high school kid. Ignore it from him. Neither conference has anything to apologize for in regards to academic reputations, achievements and financial resources. It's a silly thing to talk about in a basketball tourney thread and I've got about zero patience for this devolving into an argument over whether we should be using USNAWR or ARWU ratings or some other criteria. :smile2:

Tell me about Illinois.

I've seen you twice this year (Mizzou and Indiana). My impression is that you guys kind of live & die by whether you're knocking down jumpers because your defensive intensity feeds off of that.

I don't know what you guys are pissed off about.

I'd like to keep this fun. It's not like the Buffs and Illini will ever be rivals. Let's just enjoy the tourney week, learn a bit about them, and keep it light. Some of you seem a little thin-skinned to me. I'm not sure what that's all about. If you're going to go after the Illinois fans, at least try to be funny.

What we've learned so far is they are really excited about playing in the same conference as top 10 teams Indiana, and Michigan. And that win over Minnesota was a big deal apparently. They also beat Gonzaga. But where's the personality? Humor? Self-effacing works best. We're getting none of that.

Thanks I needed that, and the live and die thing is reasonable to say because statistically true but I wouldn't say it is because we can't drive the ball or work it inside more often but rather because we force the issue at times. As a senior led team we shouldn't be making mistakes like that but to be honest it could be worse. The biggest games we've won this year (Gonzaga and Indiana as just a few) were won because we shot the three at a high percentage and we shot it consistently. So yes we live and die by the three but I can't argue with our system because when its right we've beaten two top 5 teams. One thing i think we have to our advantage is that our HC John Groce took Ohio to the sweet sixteen and they were very undersized. So when the rebounding debate comes to play it is concerning but Kelly Olynyk,Elias Harris and Zeller all had below average games against us so I think i were right we can handle Roberson. Plus if Brandon Paul is on his game....WATCH OUT

With all due respect, there's no "handling" Roberson. He's going to get his boards. There's really no stopping that. He's a freak of nature, a truly unique player.

With all due respect, there's no "handling" Roberson. He's going to get his boards. There's really no stopping that. He's a freak of nature, a truly unique player.

And it's Andre playing in front of his home crowd.

But fair enough ini96. However, fair to say when any team gets hot from 3pt land, they're tough to beat. I'm glad we don't run a 3pt dependent type of offense.

If he's such a unique, unstoppable freak of nature why haven't I heard of him and why isn't he even in contention for at least Pac 12 POY? I'm just asking is it because he's "quiet" and just kind a work horse or is it just simply a blatant lack of exposure?

Nations leading rebounder, and P12 defensive POY.

If he's such a unique, unstoppable freak of nature why haven't I heard of him and why isn't he even in contention for at least Pac 12 POY? I'm just asking is it because he's "quiet" and just kind a work horse or is it just simply a blatant lack of exposure?

Leading rebounder in the nation. you'll hear from him on Friday. In fact, he'll be playing on his home turf. Utter freak of nature when it comes to rebounding.

And yes, we're in the west and play late. Larry Scott is drastically increasing exposure, but the fact is your average Big10 Joe is simply not aware of the lots of the talent in the West. I live in the East, I know how it is. Just don't be shocked when there's far more talent on CU than you probably expect.

Last edited:

If you haven't "heard of him" ... then you know very little about college b-ball. He was the leading rebounder in the nation all season until the very end when a guy from Siena passed him because Dre had to miss two games with an illness. And as Gold pointed out, he was named the Defensive POY in the conference.

Maybe you should just stick to academic smack after all ... although as cnbuff410 pointed out, apparently you're not very good at that either. But at least you won't expose your total lack of b-ball knowledge as egregiously.

Well on a personal level Illinois ranks 47th while Colorado ranks 97th so Illinois ranks higher than Colorado in both basketball programs and academics

There's really no real difference. Both are solid schools. Get over yourself.

What you did in the 90s or whenever in basketball has no bearing on this game.

The fact is, you're favored by 1. My personal favorite computing prediction site gives CU a 50.7% chance of winning, and predicts 66-65. Expect a dogfight. One team may have one of those days -- maybe your 3's all fall. Maybe Askia Booker (hint: if Booker gets going, you will lose) gets hot and destroys you. It's possible, but chances are we're headed for an extremely close game.

I'm sorry I'm not an avid follower of the an average program in a mediocre conference. And wow I'm glad you've informed me of him because obviously he's a big-time player. And honestly just because you have superior factual evidence to me on the team you follow fervently doesn't mean I don't follow college basketball because i am almost positive that Andre Roberson isn't a huge name outside of the Pac12. In response to the academic smack, I just don't understand how anyone from Colorado-Boulder can honestly talk academic smack at illinois because clearly they are on two different spectrums.But to keep this basketball related, once you guys play the 9th strongest out of conference schedule followed up with the strongest conference in the nation with a brand new coach and system and still receive a seventh seed in the tourney you can talk smack.

You were doing okay until this. No one is confusing Illinois-Urbana/Champaign for Cal or Virginia academically. Sorry, they just aren't.

However, we aren't having a library battle, we're playing basketball. Speaking of average teams, how about you tell us about your own? I see your horrible losses, poor shooting percentage, a couple games where you've been on, and most where you've been ho-hum average. I see you favored by 1 in Vegas, with other computations based on statistics saying CU will win a close one. Sorry we aren't bowing down to a team that should have been an 8 or 9 seed. The fact is, CU should have been a 9 too (CU was 36th, bumped to 10 for adjustments). It's a pretty close to even match up on paper, buddy. Keep fantasizing about your walk in the park. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much about a 30 point Illini win. It clearly worked out well for both of us, we'd rather be facing you than North Carolina, NC State, etc. And clearly, you seem to think CU is a light weight that your mighty Illini, for all of their inconsistency and downright mediocre play for so much of the season, will crush.

I'm sorry I'm not an avid follower of the an average program in a mediocre conference. And wow I'm glad you've informed me of him because obviously he's a big-time player. And honestly just because you have superior factual evidence to me on the team you follow fervently doesn't mean I don't follow college basketball because i am almost positive that Andre Roberson isn't a huge name outside of the Pac12. .

That's fair. I don't know a single player on your team. I haven't followed college hoops as closely as normal this season, but I'm very knowledgeable on the sport. There are a ton of good players I haven't heard of, that's just the way it works.

Maybe this overconfidence from their fanbase is a direct reflection of how their team views playing CU. Should be fun on Friday.

Leading rebounder in the nation. you'll hear from him on Friday. In fact, he'll be playing on his home turf. Utter freak of nature when it comes to rebounding.

And yes, we're in the west and play late. Larry Scott is drastically increasing exposure, but the fact is your average Big10 Joe is simply not aware of the lots of the talent in the West. I live in the East, I know how it is. Just don't be shocked when there's far more talent on CU than you probably expect.

What it will boil down to is this. Illinois wins the majority of it's games if it hit over the 30% mark in three point shots. That normally occurs when the reverse the ball offensively or thru fast break opportunities. If that does happen, look for Paul and Bertrand to drive the basket from the top of the key. If Richardson's trey is on, it will be a long afternoon for you guys. If it isn't, it could go either way.

It will not be a blowout by either side.

I'm looking forward to Friday's game if for no other reason to play a team NOT in the B1G. The saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" is fitting in this case. While I respect the other B1G teams, I've had my fill of them.

I'm looking forward to Friday's game if for no other reason to play a team NOT in the B1G. The saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt" is fitting in this case. While I respect the other B1G teams, I've had my fill of them.

I don't know if I agree with your saying; for instance, I'm not all that familiar with you guys.

Back