What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Illinois - 2013 NCAA Tournament First Round Game Thread 3/22 2.40pm MT

Nor am I with you guys. The "familiarity I was talking about were the other teams in the B1G.

Thanks--that was quite clear.

I was simply suggesting that you had my contempt without familiarity. It was a joke that clearly missed its mark.

One thing is for sure, if Egwu gets an early foul or two, which happens too often, we'll be in a load of hurt. We're not exactly powerhouses in the paint to begin with...and have virtually no depth.

Another thing, if Tyler Griffey's name isn't heard very often, that's trouble as well. Illinois has its best success when Griffey is active.

Thanks--that was quite clear.

I was simply suggesting that you had my contempt without familiarity. It was a joke that clearly missed its mark.

Probably my fault. When you're as old as dirt like me, you don't catch on very quick.

One thing is for sure, if Egwu gets an early foul or two, which happens too often, we'll be in a load of hurt. We're not exactly powerhouses in the paint to begin with...and have virtually no depth.

Another thing, if Tyler Griffey's name isn't heard very often, that's trouble as well. Illinois has its best success when Griffey is active.

Interesting on the depth. CU started the season with virtually no depth at any position, and then mysteriously--in the last month or so--our freshman and sophomore starters were suddenly getting spelled by their freshman and sophomore backups who produced some quality minutes (at least in my uninformed observation--I'm pretty new to this basketball thing). I'm not saying we've got an uber-deep bench, but there have been some pleasant surprises recently.

Tad's ability to coach up players and engage them confidently in a system in minimal time has got me excited for the future of CU basketball.

Interesting on the depth. CU started the season with virtually no depth at any position, and then mysteriously--in the last month or so--our freshman and sophomore starters were suddenly getting spelled by their freshman and sophomore backups who produced some quality minutes (at least in my uninformed observation--I'm pretty new to this basketball thing). I'm not saying we've got an uber-deep bench, but there have been some pleasant surprises recently.

Tad's ability to coach up players and engage them confidently in a system in minimal time has got me excited for the future of CU basketball.

It sounds like Buffalo fans feel about your coach in the same fashion we feel about coach Groce.

Unfortunately, coach Groce inherited a Bruce Weber team (Kansas St, just wait...you'll get use to nothing but 6-4, 6-5 guys) that is ions away from the type of team John likes. But he's done a very good job coaching 'em up.

I think the same could be said for the Buffs as far as Roberson, Dinwiddie, or Scott getting into early foul trouble - it will be a long day. We just don't have the quality depth that is necessary to overcome injuries and/or foul trouble. I just pray that Askia Booker has a mediocre to good day shooting. If he shoots 30% or better, I think the Buffs will be successful.. Hopefully he bags himself a nice slump buster this week.

I have to say, I'm embarassed by a certain poser on here that claims to be an Illinois fan. People like him think they are being witty. All he does is sully (since I'm sure he'll not know what sully means..."to make soiled or tarnished") the reputation of the U of Illinois.

I had to jump on here for the same reason. This is a horrible representation of our school and I was hoping someone could come on here and have a reasonable basketball discussion rather then insulting the education level of another school.

as far as this game...I must admit when I first saw Colorado pop up I thought it was a great draw. I have seen CU play several times as I do a lot of gambling and have picked them here and there. After doing some more reading about them since last night I can already say I may have undervalued them and can easily see this game going either way. Illinois really hasn't played a solid game in almost 3 weeks. Some of our key players ( Abrams, Bertrand, Richardson) are going into this game ice cold recently, although Brandon Paul seems to have found his groove a little bit. If Illinois plays like they did earlier in the season on neutral courts I like their chances. If they play like they have in the last few weeks they are going to lose.

Should be a good game...and unlike other people I'm not ready to say the winner of the game is just fodder for Miami. Think either school could give them a game/loss.

I am firmly convinced that this will either be a CU win by 30 points, or an Illinois win by 30 points. I just don't know which one it'll be.

I am firmly convinced that this will either be a CU win by 30 points, or an Illinois win by 30 points. I just don't know which one it'll be.

Sounds like Illini hopes are largely based on going a collective Heslip on us, but they don't shoot particularly high % much of the time (in fact, it's a bad percentage)

Tyler Griffey...

Illini fan here.

Not usually one to comment on other's boards, but one Buff fan had a spot on assessment earlier in the thread: this team goes as Tyler Griffey goes. Brandon Paul may be our best player, and DJ Richardson and Tracy Abrams have their games where they can lead the team. However, it is Tyler Griffey that really determines how this team does. If Tyler Griffey is shooting well, this Illinois team is impossible to defend. He spreads the floor and when his three falls the entire team's threes then begin to fall. If he misses his first shot or two, he becomes tentative and afraid to shoot. He becomes very easy to defend and that carries over to the rest of the team. And when he is not scoring he is not making up for the fact that he is a huge defensive liability. In this case, Illinois looks like a complete mess on offense (completely stagnant offense with little ball movement) and can be beaten by anybody. Brandon Paul then typically takes it upon himself to do something with the struggling offense. This usually ends with wild shots with the shot clock winding down or frantic out of control attempts at drawing contact... shots and plays he is definitely capable of making on of his good days - but that Brandon Paul shows up far less often than one would like.

Quite honestly, if I see Tyler Griffey stroke a couple threes from deep early in this game I will feel great about the Illini's chances, and there is a very real possibility that will continue carrying over into the following rounds. Of course, the opposite holds true as well.

The other thing about the Illini is that they play far better outside of the B1G, and has been true for this group of players over their entire tenure here. B1G refs tend to let defenses be a little more physical (for better or worse), and these players for whatever reason really struggle with that. The difference between their shooting in and out of conference is truly remarkable. I am by no means saying Colorado's defense is lackluster, but the fact there will be non B1G refs might play no small role in the outcome of this game.

Illini fan here.

Not usually one to comment on other's boards, but one Buff fan had a spot on assessment earlier in the thread: this team goes as Tyler Griffey goes. Brandon Paul may be our best player, and DJ Richardson and Tracy Abrams have their games where they can lead the team. However, it is Tyler Griffey that really determines how this team does. If Tyler Griffey is shooting well, this Illinois team is impossible to defend. He spreads the floor and when his three falls the entire team's threes then begin to fall. If he misses his first shot or two, he becomes tentative and afraid to shoot. He becomes very easy to defend and that carries over to the rest of the team. And when he is not scoring he is not making up for the fact that he is a huge defensive liability. In this case, Illinois looks like a complete mess on offense (completely stagnant offense with little ball movement) and can be beaten by anybody. Brandon Paul then typically takes it upon himself to do something with the struggling offense. This usually ends with wild shots with the shot clock winding down or frantic out of control attempts at drawing contact... shots and plays he is definitely capable of making on of his good days - but that Brandon Paul shows up far less often than one would like.

Quite honestly, if I see Tyler Griffey stroke a couple threes from deep early in this game I will feel great about the Illini's chances, and there is a very real possibility that will continue carrying over into the following rounds. Of course, the opposite holds true as well.

The other thing about the Illini is that they play far better outside of the B1G, and has been true for this group of players over their entire tenure here. B1G refs tend to let defenses be a little more physical (for better or worse), and these players for whatever reason really struggle with that. The difference between their shooting in and out of conference is truly remarkable. I am by no means saying Colorado's defense is lackluster, but the fact there will be non B1G refs might play no small role in the outcome of this game.

Interesting comment on the refs. The Pac 12 refs enter any game with a committment to facilitating an event in which things spiral out of control until there is a culminating assault and major injury (and then usually call a foul against the player who's most unconscious). At that point they retreat to ticky-tack calls--until the final minute, where it again becomes a free-for-all.

We're anxious to escape Pac 12 officiating as well.

Unless both play good (intentional use of "good," grammar peeps), or both play like ****. S/S, G/G, S/G, G/S. I think there's a 50% chance you're right.

Last edited:
Unless both play good (intentional use of "good," grammar peeps), or both play like ****. S/S, G/G, S/G, G/S. I think there's a 50% chance you're right.

If Ski doesn't show up, and the Illinois offense reduces to jacking up desperation 3's (missing) and out of control drives (sound familiar at times?), this could turn into a slop fest around 50

Dan Dakich (I believe it was him) chose Colorado from the East region for a team that could make a run that's lowered than the 7th seed.

It's interesting that Illinois also seems to do better when the refs aren't allowing the aggressively physical play and manhandling that has become typical in the Big 10. I was worried that we'd be facing that type of B10 play and officiating since we have struggled with that type of game this year. Sounds like both teams prefer a more traditional style game, likely due to each team's reliance on guard play.

If Ski doesn't show up, and the Illinois offense reduces to jacking up desperation 3's (missing) and out of control drives (sound familiar at times?), this could turn into a slop fest around 50
I think we are capable of playing well without Ski. But Dinwiddie and/or XJ would have to play above their averages. I think we can beat anyone if Ski is at his best. I guess there's nothing monumental about that statement. Many good teams have gone down in the Tourney from a hot hand at the 3.

Just shoveled 9 pages worth of crap out of this thread. From this point forward, please try to keep this thread for basketball discussion. If Illini trolls show up, just use the "report post" button (the little triangle thingy at the bottom of the page) to let us know and we'll banish them off to that thread, where you may play with them to your little black hearts' content....

I had to jump on here for the same reason. This is a horrible representation of our school and I was hoping someone could come on here and have a reasonable basketball discussion rather then insulting the education level of another school.

as far as this game...I must admit when I first saw Colorado pop up I thought it was a great draw. I have seen CU play several times as I do a lot of gambling and have picked them here and there. After doing some more reading about them since last night I can already say I may have undervalued them and can easily see this game going either way. Illinois really hasn't played a solid game in almost 3 weeks. Some of our key players ( Abrams, Bertrand, Richardson) are going into this game ice cold recently, although Brandon Paul seems to have found his groove a little bit. If Illinois plays like they did earlier in the season on neutral courts I like their chances. If they play like they have in the last few weeks they are going to lose.

Should be a good game...and unlike other people I'm not ready to say the winner of the game is just fodder for Miami. Think either school could give them a game/loss.

I agree with that. Whoever wins our game is automatically playing well (by virtue of getting a neutral site win over a Top 40 RPI). Miami should beat either of us if they bring their "A" game, but will be in serious danger if they don't.

I agree with that. Whoever wins our game is automatically playing well (by virtue of getting a neutral site win over a Top 40 RPI). Miami should beat either of us if they bring their "A" game, but will be in serious danger if they don't.

If you look at it this way, the other #2 seeds are Duke, Ohio State and Georgetown. We drew the weakest #2 seed. If those other 3 teams are on their A game, we likely get routed. But I actually think our A game would match up well against Miami's.

I dont know if this is a valid worry or not but for the last couple games of the season it seems as if our half court offense has really stalled out. I hope that the guys dont let the moment get to their heads and slow down their thinking. I think we are going to have to execute our offense very well to beat a team from one of the best conferences in the nation. Defense doesnt worry me so much, but if Ski and Dinwiddie shoot a low percentage we could be in trouble.

Back