What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado vs Air Force: Official Game Thread

Miller and Collier are quite a class in terms of upside. Both really fit team needs.

A step in the right direction tonight. Keep it going.

Night all.

This team's tendency to just get really lazy is very troubling. I'm not sure which team is the real one. The first half team or the second half team.

Kind of a meh game. Second half was sloppy.

Dom will be starting by conference play. No doubt.

Ski looked so much better when he isn't the distributor.

XJ has improved. That next step we were all hoping he would take... he has done it.

Scott even with AFA filling the paint and doing everything they could to stop him, got 13 pts.

Good coaching game. Solid individual performances, lots of teaching moments.

6 assists in limited minutes. Beautiful passes.
The behind the back pass going down the lane was pretty awesome. I just kind of think he's being careful. Maybe hesitant to do too much or something. I'd like to see him be a bit more aggressive.

The behind the back pass going down the lane was pretty awesome. I just kind of think he's being careful. Maybe hesitant to do too much or something. I'd like to see him be a bit more aggressive.

He is not going to be a Dinwiddie type PG. He is pass first, there will be some games where we wish he shot it more, but there will be many more where he doesn't show much in the score column, but we run a team out of our gym. He makes the team better by being on the floor.

What did he do to make you think that? I mean, I think he's the real deal too. But he didn't show much tonight other than being cool and calm.

He made his teammates better by making textbook PG plays on offense.

Buff fans haven't seen this thing called an "Assist" much these past many years. We need to learn to appreciate it.

We've got plenty of scoring firepower. Someone needs to get guys the ball in the right spots and keep things flowing. Someone needs to think pass first. Dom does that (and the cool thing is the extra pass becomes contagious, which makes for beautiful team basketball).

6 Assists
0 Turnovers

Gorgeous performance.

He made his teammates better by making textbook PG plays on offense.

Buff fans haven't seen this thing called an "Assist" much these past many years. We need to learn to appreciate it.

We've got plenty of scoring firepower. Someone needs to get guys the ball in the right spots and keep things flowing. Someone needs to think pass first. Dom does that (and the cool thing is the extra pass becomes contagious, which makes for beautiful team basketball).

6 Assists
0 Turnovers

Gorgeous performance.
I think my deal is that we need outside shooting. 31% from down town just doesn't get it and teams will do to us what Wyoming did. If he, or somebody, can become dangerous from outside, it'll open things up inside. I guess, since no one else seems to be giving us that, Dom might.

I think my deal is that we need outside shooting. 31% from down town just doesn't get it and teams will do to us what Wyoming did. If he, or somebody, can become dangerous from outside, it'll open things up inside. I guess, since no one else seems to be giving us that, Dom might.

Over 40% tonight. Part of that was due to Dom going 1/2 and also him getting XT open looks he could take in rhythm. XT's a much better shooter from off the ball than when creating his own shot.

His shooting ability will help our 3 pt % some, but the biggest improvement will be from his ability to drive and dish, which will lead to more open 3s and more made 3s.

Over 40% tonight. Part of that was due to Dom going 1/2 and also him getting XT open looks he could take in rhythm. XT's a much better shooter from off the ball than when creating his own shot.

His shooting ability will help our 3 pt % some, but the biggest improvement will be from his ability to drive and dish, which will lead to more open 3s and more made 3s.
I agree with both of you. I sure as hell am not criticizing Dom. It's more like I'm so enthralled with the kid, I want to see him become a star. One thing for sure, the worries some had about his size isn't an issue.

I agree with both of you. I sure as hell am not criticizing Dom. It's more like I'm so enthralled with the kid, I want to see him become a star. One thing for sure, the worries some had about his size isn't an issue.

I think he's just going to be a different kind of star than we're used to.

To put it in football terms, having a traditional PG running the show rather than a point-scorer like we've been used to is like having a great offensive line. A lot of what it does will not show up directly in the box score... but the QB, RBs, WRs and TEs all see their stats and efficiency inflate.

Back from the game. For a game that features a 25-0 run by the good guys, it was a tremendously frustrating game, the worst for a win in the Boyle era. The start to the game (though XJ said that Tad was requiring them to get the ball inside at the start), little movement on offense, Josh getting triple teamed and nobody getting in a position where he could pass them the ball, and all the fouls. Both teams were in the double bonus with ten minutes left in the second half. The Buffs got their tenth with 13:30 left.

Overall, the atmosphere was dead. Maybe just the lack of students.

Back from the game. For a game that features a 25-0 run by the good guys, it was a tremendously frustrating game, the worst for a win in the Boyle era. The start to the game (though XJ said that Tad was requiring them to get the ball inside at the start), little movement on offense, Josh getting triple teamed and nobody getting in a position where he could pass them the ball, and all the fouls. Both teams were in the double bonus with ten minutes left in the second half. The Buffs got their tenth with 13:30 left.

Overall, the atmosphere was dead. Maybe just the lack of students.

While I agree our final 12 minutes were awful outside of finally figuring out how to feed Jelly, the irony is 25-0 is the biggest run of the Boyle era.

Just a couple of notes:

If somehow Scott comes backup. A lineup if the truth, Fortune, XJ, Wes and Scott could contend with Arizona. Best top 5 in CU history perhaps.

As for this year. Dom is the truth. He makes everyone better. He makes Talton shoot when he is open and makes great passes and attacks a zone. Wow

XJ played a great game tonight. Want to see more of that. He just looks so big out there.

We need to involve Scott more. Hard to complain when you are up 20+ in the first half, but He is so good that teams have to scheme for him.

Fletcher was the best soph tonight. I feel like they are trading games. One day they will all put it together.

Playing devil's advocate, the ball didn't move on the offensive end in the 2H like it did in the 1H.

Anyone else concerned that some guys stand around more when Ski is in the game? If nothing else, it's something to keep an eye on.

Another thing I didn't like is not utilizing Dom in the press break. He was in the front court the whole time Air Force was pressing, and once they got a ten second call and there were a couple other scary moments involving cross court passes that a better team would pick off.

Not meaning to be a downer - Dom was fantastic and XJ had one of his best games as a Buff.

Another thing I didn't like is not utilizing Dom in the press break. He was in the front court the whole time Air Force was pressing, and once they got a ten second call and there were a couple other scary moments involving cross court passes that a better team would pick off.

Not meaning to be a downer - Dom was fantastic and XJ had one of his best games as a Buff.

Ski will continue to be our primary press breaker, I think. He's really good at that.

Regarding Dustin, that was bad on the 10 second. Prior to that this year, he's been pretty good in that role. One thing we may need to keep in mind is that CU hasn't had any close games yet. Tad needs guys on the floor who can make FTs. Dustin is one of our better shooters from the line.

Ski will continue to be our primary press breaker, I think. He's really good at that.

Regarding Dustin, that was bad on the 10 second. Prior to that this year, he's been pretty good in that role. One thing we may need to keep in mind is that CU hasn't had any close games yet. Tad needs guys on the floor who can make FTs. Dustin is one of our better shooters from the line.

Dustin did some nice things tonight on the glass, but man, that 10 second was bad and once again, another air ball from 3. He's now 2/8 from the field and 0/2 from 3 in which I believe both have air balled. We all know he can knock these down at a far higher clip. But we're heading deeper into his sophomore year and the woeful shooting is starting to seem like it's occurring again (sample size still admittedly small).

On a different note, we had 2 or 3 occasions tonight where AFA got on the floor and scrapped for the ball and won possession while we decided to stop playing in the final 11 minutes. I know we had the lead and were feeling comfortable, but Tad has to see that on film and get pissed. He won't take being out-hustled like that.

6 assists in limited minutes. Beautiful passes.
Also grabbed 4 rebounds, and only 2 PF in a game where a foul was called on just about every posession. Actually played significant minutes, though (23); top four overall and the most off the bench. The kid is very impressive.

The first half benching seemed to do Ski some good. Better game for him, although he took some shots early in the possession that made no sense being up by 20, and got that charging call when he drove into 4 defenders.

Last edited:

He is looking better so far this season, but don't forget, he finished off last year shooting 54% from the line.

Playing devil's advocate, the ball didn't move on the offensive end in the 2H like it did in the 1H.

Anyone else concerned that some guys stand around more when Ski is in the game? If nothing else, it's something to keep an eye on.

This is legit, and something the team is definitely going to have to adjust on. Ski will adjust. He had to run the show for 3/4 of a season now and has to go back to his old way. He'll do it. XT will adjust because he'll see how many open shots he's going to get in the corner. Dom will have some growing pains because it's hard for a frosh to run such a veteran team. But the team will do it. It just may take a few weeks. I'm expecting some bumps prior to conference play.

quick points.

• did we have another episode of "not enough guys on the court" during a lineup change at FT time? when it happened at Drexel, I brushed it off as a 'first game thing'.
  • Booker has a move to the basket with burst speed like I've never seen. Just wish he was more consistent.
  • what happened on the unguarded inbound play where we turned it over (I think it was Johnson inbounding)? need to watch that on the recording.
  • Turnovers: we committed 15 to their 10, which really surprised me. for most of the first 1/2, it looked like 5th graders playing 3rd graders the way the Buffs were taking the ball away from the Air Force players. got complacent in the second half -- hard to sit on a big lead like that.
  • I like the ball movement I'm seeing. I don't like the (lack of) movement without the ball that I'm (not) seeing.
  • attendance not as bad as I feared, but jcatcher was right about the low energy in the building
  • sat near the band. noticed they had two guys playing electric bass, but one of them only played during the fight song -- the rest of the time he stood there holding his axe trying to look like he had some reason to be up there. even during Kasmir, he didn't play (I did remark at the time that if he couldn't find a way to contribute bass to that tune....).
  • The Sink was a reasonable choice for post-game fare at 9:30PM (first time eating there).

also, just noticed that Lipscomb is known by the nickname of the Bisons (plural with an 's').

Back