What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado Women's Basketball RPI Watch

Per Warren Nolan site, CU WBB now up to RPI = 28 after today's beat down of Arizona.

Up to number 20 in the AP poll just out.

Should be higher than that.

Georgia and Purdue, in particular, should have dropped like stones after the weekend. I also don't agree with aTm jumping over us or UCLA still being ranked ahead of us. And, frankly, it's hard to justify Louisville still being above the Buffs. If I was voting, I would have put us at #13 because I don't believe in Dayton or South Carolina either.

Should be higher than that.

Georgia and Purdue, in particular, should have dropped like stones after the weekend. I also don't agree with aTm jumping over us or UCLA still being ranked ahead of us. And, frankly, it's hard to justify Louisville still being above the Buffs. If I was voting, I would have put us at #13 because I don't believe in Dayton or South Carolina either.

We may all think the above is valid, but to the voters CU is mostly an unknown as they haven't been this good in a long time. So the reality is they need to win a number of games in the next two weeks to get their due. If they are able to get wins in California they will have proven themselves beyond a doubt. IMHO, they need to be ready for the physicality presented by Stanford and Cal and that cost them. If they are ready to battle in the paint from the opening tip they will have a chance to pick up some wins in the next two weeks.

I think they have a better opportunity for wins on the USC/UCLA weekend than the Cal/Stanford weekend. I hope they prove me wrong and get a win this weekend.

As of this morning, rpi = 25 on warrennolan. That's up from 28 a week ago. So playing competitivly but losing to two top 5 rpi teams on the road plus having many of the teams we beat in the non-conf games post wins this week has moved us up a bit. As Buffedup said, I think the team is safely in the big dance barring an epic collapse. Have you ordered your NCAA tickets yet to support this team since they are hosting rounds 1 & 2 here at Coors???? Remember, in the WBB tourney, if a school that is hosting rounds 1 & 2 makes it to the tourney, they are guaranteed to play at home.

I have my ticket ordered and know it's location. I just don't know if I will actually be there. I will be driving so getting there is weather dependent.

:gobuffs:

With todays wins by OOC opponents Louisville, CSU, and Wyoming CU WBB is now up to #24 rpi.

With todays wins by OOC opponents Louisville, CSU, and Wyoming CU WBB is now up to #24 rpi.

It's great that Louisville has maintained their high level of play, ranked 12th in both polls. What an excellent scalp that was for the Buffs to grab.

Agree. Although the last couple of games Louisville has been making it much too "interesting" by getting behind and having to pull off comebacks to gain close wins. In today's game, guard Shonni Schimmel, who CU almost totally shut down, went off for 38 points to fuel the L'ville come from behind win.

With todays wins by OOC opponents Illinois, Missouri Kansas City, and Denver, CU WBB has crept up one more spot to #23 rpi per Warren Nolan

With todays wins by OOC opponents Illinois, Missouri Kansas City, and Denver, CU WBB has crept up one more spot to #23 rpi per Warren Nolan

Win at UCLA and that RPI number will skyrocket.

Illinois beat Iowa last night 74-62. Iowa had just been ranked #25 by both polls this week.

Illinois beat Iowa last night 74-62. Iowa had just been ranked #25 by both polls this week.

I hadn't even looked because I figured that one would be a loss. Strong win for the Buff's schedule. Currently in a logjam in 2nd place in the B1G (12-8, 5-3). Good opportunity for a win Sunday at Wisconsin and then a game that will make or break them in the conference standing at Michigan next week. They've got a chance of going 6-2 to close the season if they play like they did last night. 18-10 (11-5) would make that a high quality win for our Buffs.

The Iowa women's team has only been able to beat the ranked teams in the B1G. Weird.

CU did not help themselves last night.

per todays Warren Nolan, CU WBB rpi is unchanged today at 23. They are projecting them to only lose 1 more game in regular season play. Let's hope they are right.

Buffs had a good day today. Not only getting a road win at USC, but also seeing Illinois get another road win at Wisconsin to move to 13-8 (6-3). That puts the Illini in a tie for 3rd in the conference (and own the tiebreaker vs Nebraska). They've got a good opportunity to finish up at 18-10 if they can get a road win at a fading Michigan squad. Have to assume they lose their roadies to Penn State and Purdue.

Pac-12 is looking like a 4-bid league for the Dance.

Cal and Stanford should get "1" or "2" seeds. UCLA looks like somewhere from a 3-5. CU looks like somewhere from a 4-6.

Washington could make it 5 teams if they avoid bad losses the rest of the way. They probably need a signature win on top of that, though. Losses to Long Beach, UCSB and Georgia Tech in the non-con aren't doing the Huskies any favors.

The unbalanced schedule plays into Washington's hands this season. They only play Stanford and Cal once rather than a home-and-home like the Buffs and others have to. And those games are at the tail end of the conference season.

How is the schedule determined? Like it was in the Big 12 with the North and South and we played the South teams once each season? Playing Stanford and Cal twice really killed us.

How is the schedule determined? Like it was in the Big 12 with the North and South and we played the South teams once each season? Playing Stanford and Cal twice really killed us.

For hoops, there's no North and South. I think football is the only sport with divisions. Basically, unless we went from 18 to 22 conference games then we'll always miss out on a home/home with 4 teams every season. The only team we will always play twice a season is Utah.

For hoops, there's no North and South. I think football is the only sport with divisions. Basically, unless we went from 18 to 22 conference games then we'll always miss out on a home/home with 4 teams every season. The only team we will always play twice a season is Utah.

ACC uses a model where they allot two rivals you'll always play twice. Everyone can't always be happy with it, but it works well for the most part.

SEC did the divisions format for basketball for a long time and just switched away from it. If I recall correctly in the SEC Tournament, the top two teams from each division got a first round bye, and then the 3rd from the East would play the 6th from the West, 4th from the East play the 5th from the West, and vice versa. It was kind of ridiculous, honestly. They switched away for good reason.

Here's the general theory of the basketball schedule:

"The Pac-10 Conference has announced the schedule model for basketball beginning next season when the league expands to the Pac-12.
The regular-season conference schedule will continue to be 18 games, with teams guaranteed home-and-home games each season against their natural rival. Teams will play home-and-home against six other teams each season and single games against the other four. That portion of the schedule will rotate every two years."

'natural rival' = 'travel partner' = Utah for us.

I remember seeing somewhere what the rotation of schools that are only played once per season would be but I can't find it now. I think I recall that it is a 10 year schedule for one complete rotation. The 2 year rotation works like this... this season CU WBB played UCLA and USC only on the road and will play UW and WSU only in Boulder; next season we will play UCLA and USC only in Boulder and UW and WSU only in Washington. Then the year after that there will be 4 other teams we only play once and we will play UCLA, USC, UW, WSU home and home.

Clear as mud????

So novice women's basketball fan question here - is Cal a perennial good team? I understand that Stanford is a national power, but I never really heard much about Cal. Are they someone who will consistently be in the top 3 of the conference and put together Sweet 16 runs or are they a step or two below that?

So novice women's basketball fan question here - is Cal a perennial good team? I understand that Stanford is a national power, but I never really heard much about Cal. Are they someone who will consistently be in the top 3 of the conference and put together Sweet 16 runs or are they a step or two below that?

If there's a McDonald's American signing in the Pac-12, she's signing with one of the CA schools. They all get them. It's more like there's a top half of the conference that will be CU, Washington and the CA schools -- with Stanford at the top of the mountain.

Back