What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado's Ceal Barry mentioned on ESPN OTL

Creebuzz

Climate Refugee
Club Member
Apparently, as head of some NCAA commitee, she signed a new rule that prevents women's AAU coaches from coaching at NCAA sanctioned events if they have a felony conviction. The OTL story centered on a coach that has a crack cocaine distribution felony from 15 years ago. With the rule change, he is now no longer allowed on the bench. By all accounts, he is rehabilitated today.

The rub for Colorado is that he is a coach for a top AAU program (one that is sending signee Jen Reese to CU), and now will no longer assist the Buffs in recruiting players. :facepalm: For her part, Barry says that the rule change just mirrors the one already in place for the men, and she simply signed the new rule as chair of the committee and it's unfair to single out the Buffs.

By the way, Jen Reese's parents support that subject coach and don't support the rule change.

If lovin' coked-up coaches is wrong, I don't wanna be right-aaaah!

So much for redemption...

images

I think I would agree with the rule if there was maybe some stipulation of time. I mean, if this guy made a stupid mistake 15 years ago (and that was a pretty stupid mistake) I don't believe he still needs to be paying for that mistake today as long as he has not had any other problems since.

I can see both sides of this. I think they're most worried about people who have been involved with things like fraud being a part of the process.

The bigger issue I see here (and I don't want to turn this into a politics thread), is with our drug laws in this country. There shouldn't be a market need for drug traffickers and drug use should not be a crime. /soapbox

First, his crime was not just a one-time mistake. Selling/distributing drugs is a felony. He is an individual with direct contact and relationships with young individuals, and it's this relationship that needs to be scrutinized. Is he "rehabed"? Great for him (the individual).

Second, I don't think this is as confining as some may think. If I understand the rule correctly, it is only prohibiting the people in question from taking part in ncaa sanctioned events. They can still coach the AAU teams, have contact with the young athletes and families, etc.

Back