What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado's Greg Brown Out? (EB moved to the sidelines)

Id already have started smoking weed if I didnt get piss tested, all the way back when Hawk was here. I need an inside man in my company to let me know when the tests are coming. I remember that too Nik, looks like they are getting desperate.

I know that I am nitpicking here, but Embree has said that the idea behind bringing EB down to the sidelines is to inject some emotion and enthusiasm into the players. However, I remember Embree saying that he didn't want the team getting overly emotional and maintaining a steady disposition (the dreaded peaks and valleys talk from Hawk). So which is it? Even keel or playing with passion? Can't have it both ways.

I know that I am nitpicking here, but Embree has said that the idea behind bringing EB down to the sidelines is to inject some emotion and enthusiasm into the players. However, I remember Embree saying that he didn't want the team getting overly emotional and maintaining a steady disposition (the dreaded peaks and valleys talk from Hawk). So which is it? Even keel or playing with passion? Can't have it both ways.
This move is kind of hard to evaluate. Is someone else going to be calling the plays now? In other programs, does the OC generally call the plays or does another coach? Does this signal a lack of confidence or agreement in EB's play calling?

I have a strong feeling that Scherer will "suggest" plays from the booth and EB and Embree will have adjustment/veto power from the sidelines. Isn't this how Gary used to do it? Not a bad idea at this point, really.

I dont have much doubt Rip probably sees the game or knows it better. Has he always been a qb guy or has he been an OC at any point? At the very least, I know he knows what each qb could best execute, EB should know the backs, I dont see why it would hurt to give Ford some carries.

Talent level is valid excuse for our poor offense, but you still have to put some of the blame for this on EB for not recruiting better players. This excuse also fails to explain how last year despite having pretty good talent-two excellent WR's, an excellent RB, a solid QB and a solid O-Line plus several senior starters, we were still #109 (out of 120) in the country in points scored.

Valid point...... but I can't really say he should have recruited more talent yet. He has only been here for a one real full recruiting cycle. I am guessing to fill in talent gap he needs 2-3 full classes. And yes there was some talent last year but still not D1 talent on the whole. Hansen was manageable, WR was pretty solid but the OL never gave him a chance to really get comfortable often.... If you recall he did a TON of scrambling.

Ralphiehandler, do I just assume you are happy with the 2013 class thus far? I keep seeing all these hypothetical posts about future talent this staff is going to bring in while seemingly ignoring the fact that recruiting has fallen off a cliff.

Wasnt EB still calling the plays from the sidelines tho and got moved up so he could see the action better? Maybe there is gonna be a little change since that wasnt working either. I think yall see what im getting at.

I know I'm probably the only one who sees this but does anyone else think that EB might not be calling the plays this Saturday?

What i meant to say was that if EB is upstairs or on the field, it doesn't make a difference. The O is going to continue sucking until we get a real QB and some difference makers at WR.

There are lots of coaches who call plays from the sideline.

Mike Leach is Washington State's offensive coordinator. He calls the plays from the sideline. Chip Kelly is Oregon's offensive coordinator. He calls plays from the sideline. Dana Holgerson at West Virginia calls plays from the sideline. It happens in lots of places. Sure, there is someone up in the booth who tells the person on the sideline what the formations are, etc. But it's not at all unusual for the person on the field to be calling the plays.

Bill Walsh could be calling plays and it wouldn't matter.

Yes it would. I know the point you're making and it's a good one, but an upgrade from a 1st time coordinator who may not be capable in the job to possibly the best play caller of all time would definitely make a big difference.

Dply, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he isnt gonna learn on the job, hes gonna get shown on the job. At least in the passing game, Id think Rip picked up quite a bit over the years. Then again, maybe Im grasping to find something positive in this whole mess. It does make sense to use the knowledge some on the staff have.

Could we put EB in charge of special teams and give Brookhart the OC duties?

Brookhart had some great offenses as OC at Pitt. He's doing a good job as ST Coordinator too. I'd hate to lose his management of our kickers and punters, but the offense is more important than what we might give up on ST.

Nik I dont see why anything should be out of the question. Do whatever to at least compete. I dont believe for a second Embree was ok with the effort like he said.

Could we put EB in charge of special teams and give Brookhart the OC duties?

Brookhart had some great offenses as OC at Pitt. He's doing a good job as ST Coordinator too. I'd hate to lose his management of our kickers and punters, but the offense is more important than what we might give up on ST.

Ultimately got fired at Akron, but he put up some points, at least occasionally. I remember when they played at UVA and they turned it into a shootout.

Last edited:
Back