What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

I'm certain that the LHN-ESPN contract is not indefinite. There has to be a point when the contract is over, and they extend, renew or cancel. UT is in a good position with guaranteed money until then, but a lot of changes will probably occur when that date approaches.

Any reason why Houston shouldn't be considered? Hell, I wouldn't mind them in the Pac 12.
This comes up all the time. Houston is doing all they can to make themselves attractive to a P5 conference but it won't be the Big 12. There is bad blood between Texas and Houston going back a ways. That might fade but ultimately they won't be asked to join the B12 because they don't add any value in TV market (B12 already owns the Houston TV market) and it reduces the B12 recruiting advantage in the Houston area if they let UH in. Not.Gonna.Happen.

Would love to see them considered for the P12 though.

Any reason why Houston shouldn't be considered? Hell, I wouldn't mind them in the Pac 12.

Houston might be the key to getting Oklahoma. They feel like they can recruit Dallas metro (consider that their home geography), but need the assist of a rival in Houston to avoid that area getting owned by the SEC through aTm. UH would be very attractive to OU if we're trying to lure them into the conference.

Can you imagine how much Houston's following would grow if they played all the West Coast schools at home? All the redneck Texans could definitely get behind beating the **** out of those left coast liberals haha.

I'd be in a state of buzzed euphoria to see a game that ended Houston 41, Oregon 24. Substitute the words USC or UCLA for Oregon and I'm good, too. Pac 12 is SO SOFT and careless.

I'm certain that the LHN-ESPN contract is not indefinite. There has to be a point when the contract is over, and they extend, renew or cancel. UT is in a good position with guaranteed money until then, but a lot of changes will probably occur when that date approaches.

I think the article I linked said it runs thru 2030 something. The article is now behind a pay wall for me so I can't get in anymore but I could when I posted it.

PHOENIX -- The Big 12's best chance to reach the College Football Playoff is to expand to 12 teams and stage a conference championship game, according to research by an analytics firm hired by the league.

The numbers run by Chicago-based Navigate Research show the Big 12 has a 4-5 percent better chance of reaching the top four in the CFP by adding two teams, playing one less conference game and holding a championship game, commissioner Bob Bowlsby said Monday.
this will fire up the "all conferences need to play 9 game schedule because that's what we do" crowd.

Report out of Cincinnati: Texas is strong arming TCU and Texas Tech to withhold their vote possibly leaving the B12 short of the required 75% hurdle to pass an expansion.

Sticking point, obviously, is the LHN.

Never change, Texas.

Report out of Cincinnati: Texas is strong arming TCU and Texas Tech to withhold their vote possibly leaving the B12 short of the required 75% hurdle to pass an expansion.

Sticking point, obviously, is the LHN.

Never change, Texas.
Exactly what leverage would they have?

It's not just your Mormon buddy. If BYU doesn't get a Big 12 offer if it expands, I expect to see a mushroom cloud in the direction of Provo and Utah County. BYU athletics bring value in regards to competition. They have a Texas like reputation among those who have been in a conference with them though. I do not see TCU, a former MWC foe, allowing a BYU invite. Other problems are a small population TV market, the lack of Sunday play with Olympic sports, concerns about academic freedom, a recent law school investigations by the ABA over LGBT discrimination and religious freedom violations which may spread wider, and, the latest hot topic, title nine violations for longstanding institutional policies that punish rape victims with expulsion or suspension for reporting the crime. The drama will be fun to watch. Glad to be in the PAC 12.

And that is a bad thing? Texas greed and arrogance are astounding.
Texas is one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country. They are the flagship university in the most football hungry state that is the biggest recruiting hotbed in the U.S. That means they are the most valuable program in that conference, so yes those other schools would definitely be hurt by that move, most of all financially.

What the BigXII should do, imho, is kick UT out of the conference.

If they want to be selfish and maintain their longhorn network and other advantages at the expense of the other members then let them do that as an independent. Yes, they would be just fine in the sport of football. However, the idea that they'd have easy go of it scheduling baseball, womens basketball, soccer, track and a host of other sports without a conferences help brings a smile to my face. Im sure though the Big East, or whatever its called today, would happily oblige like they did ND.

Given the way that TCU and TT are allgedly behaving towards UT privately, along with the very public things that OU and OSU have said about this issue, suggests to me if there is that much public smoke theres probably a huge fire behind closed doors. This issue will rip the conference apart again just like it did in 2011. Its just a matter of time.

Hell, I bet OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU could leave and form a pretty nice conference with some combination of Cinncy, CSU, Louisville, BSU, Houston, and a couple of BigXII members). They could even call it the Big 8. Hahahaha. Anything would be better than to sit there and take that UTerus bull****. A divided house can not stand. Why in gods name would you vote for a conference expansion that will deliver less revenue and not more because you now have to share it with 2-4 more members? All so UTerus can have a near automatic annual title game? **** that!

Last edited:
Texas is one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country. They are the flagship university in the most football hungry state that is the biggest recruiting hotbed in the U.S. That means they are the most valuable program in that conference, so yes those other schools would definitely be hurt by that move, most of all financially.
I should have used a sarcasm font.

It's not just your Mormon buddy. If BYU doesn't get a Big 12 offer if it expands, I expect to see a mushroom cloud in the direction of Provo and Utah County. BYU athletics bring value in regards to competition. They have a Texas like reputation among those who have been in a conference with them though. I do not see TCU, a former MWC foe, allowing a BYU invite. Other problems are a small population TV market, the lack of Sunday play with Olympic sports, concerns about academic freedom, a recent law school investigations by the ABA over LGBT discrimination and religious freedom violations which may spread wider, and, the latest hot topic, title nine violations for longstanding institutional policies that punish rape victims with expulsion or suspension for reporting the crime. The drama will be fun to watch. Glad to be in the PAC 12.
With the exception of the "no play on Sunday" BYU looks to be a PERFECT match for the Big 12.

Back