What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion

GoBuffs08

Club Member
Club Member
Sorry if I missed this, but there are at least 5 different threads on the expansion talk.

Does anyone know when the Big12 conference TV contract expires?

Also, someone long ago had a breakdown of what it would cost a Big12 team to leave the conference prior to some date.

I like the idea of moving to the PAC10 but if I remember correctly I don't think this was even possible until around 2015.

Sorry if I missed this, but there are at least 5 different threads on the expansion talk.

Does anyone know when the Big12 conference TV contract expires?

Also, someone long ago had a breakdown of what it would cost a Big12 team to leave the conference prior to some date.

I like the idea of moving to the PAC10 but if I remember correctly I don't think this was even possible until around 2015.

TV Contracts

In April 2007, the Big 12 announced its latest TV contract extension, an eight-year, $480 million deal with ABC/ESPN that lasts through 2016. According to the deal, the Big 12 gets up to 19 ABC telecasts per season, including the league championship game. The league’s FSN deal is worth $78 million and goes through 2012.

And here's why Texas is likely to leave for the Big 10 or SEC and why Missouri would jump to the Big 10 in a heartbeat:

In August 2008, the SEC announced its landmark deal with ESPN, a 15-year, $2.25 billion agreement. That deal, combined with the SEC’s 15-year, $825 million agreement with CBS, means all SEC schools should reportedly earn $15-17 million annually from TV revenue this year.

Meanwhile, the Big Ten has a 10-year, $1 billion package with ESPN, which, coupled with its 25-year, $2.8 billion deal with the Big Ten Network, guarantees that nearly every home Big Ten game is televised.

(Those conferences also have equal revenue sharing.)

Big 12 Bylaws

Member Insttuton agrees that the amount of revenue that would have been otherwse dstrbutable to a Wthdrawng Member pursuant to Section 2 herein for the final two (2) years of the Current Term or the then- current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%)

Member Insttuton agrees that after such Breach, the amount of Conference revenue that would otherwse have been distrbuted or distrbutable to the Breachng Member durng the two (2) years prior to the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be, shall be reduced by an amount that equals the sum of the aggregate of such revenues times the followng percentages (such sum beng the “Aggregate Reduction”); if Notce is received less than two years but on or before eighteen months prior to the Effectve Date, 70%; if Notice is received less than eighteen months but on or before twelve months prior to the Effective Date, 80%; if Notice is received less than twelve months but on or before six months prior to the Effective Date, 90%; or if Notice is received less than six months prior to the Effective Date, 100%.

Regarding the current term, I can't find a link but someone posted that the Big 12 agreement is up for extension in 2011.

Regarding the current term, I can't find a link but someone posted that the Big 12 agreement is up for extension in 2011.

Correct, Section 3.1 of the bylaws:

Each Member Institution shall remain a member of the Conference until July 1, 2006 (the “Current Term”) and during any Additional Term....each Member Institution shall remain a member of the Conference for an additional five-year period after the end of the Current Term or the then-current Additional Term, as the case may be (each, an “Additional Term”) unless such member is a Breaching Member

The first "additional term" runs until July 1, 2011. Notice must be given 2 years prior to the end any term, or the penalties listed by Buffnik apply.

Back