What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Penalties

dio

Admin
Club Member
Junta Member
So, I was reading the Baylor forums, and they are sourcing that it would take 9 votes to dissolve the B12, and would cost CU about $9M over 2 years.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/10...un-in-the.html

Posted on Thu, Jun. 10, 2010
Colorado buyout could run in the millions
By BLAIR KERKHOFF
The Kansas City Star
Now that Colorado has announced its new home, how much will it cost the school to leave the Big 12?

According to the Big 12 Handbook, the Buffaloes or any other school could lose in the millions, and that money could be transferred into the accounts of schools that don't leave the conference.

The penalty for leaving is forfeiture of 50 percent of conference revenue (television contracts, bowl games, NCAA Tournament appearances). A one-year notice carries an 80-percent penalty.

The Big 12 will distribute $139 million in income this year. The range per school figures to be $10 million-$12 million. If the Big 12 lasts two more years, Colorado would pay a 50-percent share twice. Based on recent payouts, the Buffaloes would stand to lose about $9 million.

That is, unless the Big 12 votes to dissolve.

It takes nine votes to dissolve, and if there's no future well-funded conference home for several members, schools could cash in on penalty money while conducting business as new members in a reformed Big 12.

However, I was listening to Klatt and Kreckman, and they were saying they had some lawyers who read the Big12 bylaws, and that it was simply a 50% +1 vote, so 7 votes to dissolve the conference. They agreed on the amount it would cost CU.

Anyone have any idea about this? I would think that 9 votes would be hard to pull off... but 7 is certainly reasonable (only 5 more)

The Daily Oklahoman (aka, daily bark 'n' fart) today indicated it would take 9 votes to forego the financial penalties. Not sure that's correct, but....

(consider the source)

NCAA rules are that if 50% of a conference leaves, the conference is disbanded. So 6 schools leave, no penalties is the way I interpret it. But any financial changes in the Big 12 take 9 votes, and any rule changes I believe take a majority so 7 votes, so that is where they are getting those numbers from. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

I really don't give a **** what Baylor fans think.

nice response.

Sure the lawyers are on it. Not concerned since I don't think there will be 3 teams in the Big 12 in two weeks... Probably the only one left will be, BAYLOR. haha.

change your avatar leash to a Eric Bieniemy picture.. He's going to be our new coach going to the Pac 16!!!

nice response.

Sure the lawyers are on it. Not concerned since I don't think there will be 3 teams in the Big 12 in two weeks... Probably the only one left will be, BAYLOR. haha.

The whole regents' meeting on Tuesday was exactly this. They wanted to check out their legal options.

Back