What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Confidence!

I saw Fresno a couple of other times when they weren't playing a CU team that never got off the bus and they aren't that good. They are better than CSU but not as talented as an average to below average PAC team, they were a team that beat CU, Weber State, and a bunch of MWC teams. They are likely to have a new coach again as well. They are the toughest of the three OOC but CU should not lose to them at home. It shouldn't be a walkover but it should be a win.

Wow.

I'll say it again--it will take time people. Let's not get caught up how many wins we'll get next season. We're in such a deep hole, I just want to see a positive trend. Also, I'd argue that it will take more than three years to make us competitive. NewMac built The Spartans up against WAC talent and WAC coaching. He won't have that luxury at CU.

I'd seen enough of Coach Embree to abandon patience. But I'll urge everyone to be patient with NewMac, as long as he's showing incremental progress and not significantly regressing.

Can't disagree with anything you say here. Only I would add that to show that incremental progress we need to go out and play well against the teams that we should beat or be competitive against. We are lightyears away from USC, Oregon, Stanford, talentwise. We are way behind a number of others in the league.

Part of the problem we faced under Embree and Hawk before him was not showing up for games that we should have at least been competitive with if not be much better than. We have to at least play to our abilities. This still isn't going to be enough to keep from getting smashed by some of the schools on our schedule but it will be a start.

I am less concerned about the win total than I am about moving in the right direction but if we are moving in the right direction we will get some wins.

I'll say it again--it will take time people. Let's not get caught up how many wins we'll get next season. We're in such a deep hole, I just want to see a positive trend. Also, I'd argue that it will take more than three years to make us competitive. NewMac built The Spartans up against WAC talent and WAC coaching. He won't have that luxury at CU.

I'd seen enough of Coach Embree to abandon patience. But I'll urge everyone to be patient with NewMac, as long as he's showing incremental progress and not significantly regressing.

SJSU also had the luxury of nearly dropping their program and playing BCS teams in their OOC

So you think Fresno would even be competitive in the PAC? You have to be kidding. They are a good, not great, mid-major team. Nothing better, nothing worse.

I'm not counting Fresno as a should be automatic win but if we play well we should beat them at home. Don't play well and they will beat us but last season was no indication of the relative talent or abilities of the two schools.

Fresno will have the much better QB. I just do not see how you can make statements about playing well = we should win. How can you honestly gauge this team's ceiling with so many question marks, especially at QB?

So you think Fresno would even be competitive in the PAC? You have to be kidding. They are a good, not great, mid-major team. Nothing better, nothing worse.

I'm not counting Fresno as a should be automatic win but if we play well we should beat them at home. Don't play well and they will beat us but last season was no indication of the relative talent or abilities of the two schools.

I couldn't care less about how Fresno stacks up against the rest of the PAC and who gives a s**t anyway? I'm talking about CU and we were completely outclassed in every phase imaginable by them last year. You seem to think a new coach and playing at Folsom (where we have won exactly 1 game in the past 2 years) is somehow going to make up the difference and I think that is completely ridiculous.

Fresno will have the much better QB. I just do not see how you can make statements about playing well = we should win. How can you honestly gauge this team's ceiling with so many question marks, especially at QB?

We also won't hear talk from HCMM about 6 wins (or 10). I just think he's smarter than that. How about we are hoping for improvement thru the year! Frankly, I don't see more than 2 teams we are better than at this point.

I'll also add I picked the Buffs to win 3-4 games this past year. That was realistic given PRich's injury and our lack of playmakers. Oh yeah, I somehow didn't get the memo that Connor Wood would be all Pac12 over the summer. Those QB question marks are always problematic.

So given the uncertainly at QB, and a lack of anything resembling a depth chart at almost every position, I'll suggest 2-3 wins should be the over/under. But I would expect we will be competitive in more games. But we won't have the athletes on Defense to hang with the high flying Pac12 offenses. Not yet.

I think 3-4 wins is probably about right. We are still going to be pretty young in most areas. I do think being competitive in more games is a good expectation to have. I am guessing we lose a couple heartbreakers due to not knowing how to close games out.

We do need to win that Central Arkansas game. The struggles against FCS teams need to end.

I think 3-4 wins is probably about right. We are still going to be pretty young in most areas. I do think being competitive in more games is a good expectation to have. I am guessing we lose a couple heartbreakers due to not knowing how to close games out.

We do need to win that Central Arkansas game. The struggles against FCS teams need to end.

So 2-1 OOC and 1-8 on conference? Don't see it

I'm curious though how you went from saying a bowl game last year to 3-4 wins next.

So 2-1 OOC and 1-8 on conference? Don't see it

I'm curious though how you went from saying a bowl game last year to 3-4 wins next.

Probably because I was dead wrong about this year's team. What else needs to be said?

I believe there's enough talent to win six games, I just don't know if a new coach bringing in a new system can get the players all working in the same direction fast enough to achieve that goal.

I think we win 8-9 games... easy. If HCMM can't do that minimal task we should start looking for another coach.

We also won't hear talk from HCMM about 6 wins (or 10). I just think he's smarter than that. How about we are hoping for improvement thru the year! Frankly, I don't see more than 2 teams we are better than at this point.

I'll also add I picked the Buffs to win 3-4 games this past year. That was realistic given PRich's injury and our lack of playmakers. Oh yeah, I somehow didn't get the memo that Connor Wood would be all Pac12 over the summer. Those QB question marks are always problematic.

So given the uncertainly at QB, and a lack of anything resembling a depth chart at almost every position, I'll suggest 2-3 wins should be the over/under. But I would expect we will be competitive in more games. But we won't have the athletes on Defense to hang with the high flying Pac12 offenses. Not yet.

I believe there's enough talent to win six games, I just don't know if a new coach bringing in a new system can get the players all working in the same direction fast enough to achieve that goal.

This.

two wins maybe three. Depends how the p12 lays out the schedule. If HCMM is the real deal we should be more competitive on a game by game basis, but still lose due to a lack play makers.. That being said, depending on the generosity of the P12 schedule we could get a win late in the season on experience (outside of UU) if one of the easier teams is up for us near the end. If we face USC, O, before UU probably not.

We lack the OL and DL to play ball with the big boys at this point. And we're really young again too.

This.

two wins maybe three. Depends how the p12 lays out the schedule. If HCMM is the real deal we should be more competitive on a game by game basis, but still lose due to a lack play makers.. That being said, depending on the generosity of the P12 schedule we could get a win late in the season on experience (outside of UU) if one of the easier teams is up for us near the end. If we face USC, O, before UU probably not.

We lack the OL and DL to play ball with the big boys at this point. And we're really young again too.
I mean other than the fact we return almost all of our OL that started (excluding guys who started due to injuries like Dannewitz), DL, secondary, RB's, WR's +PRich and the Texas duo, and FB's (not that they are used much in the new offense). We are returning a lot of young players with a year of experience. The OL started to come on strong next season and Powell will be even better next season and PRich playing will really help out Spruce and GT.

And if CU goes 2-10 or 3-9 next season it will be very disappointing. That would mean likely going 0-9 in conference play which not even Embree managed. It's not out of this world to expect to win two of three against Cal, Arizona, and Utah along with going 2-1 in the OOC at the worst. Anything less than 4-8 will be extremely disappointing. Last season other than god awful coaching there was no excuse to not win 4 games. Less talented teams beat more talented teams all the time, the difference is coaching and we have a coach who managed to turn SJSU into a 11 game winner after they nearly dropped their program. I don't want to look too much into the Stanford game because they are clearly a different team now than they were when SJSU played them but Mac kept it close with a real shot of winning.

And this new offense will be much easier to learn than the previous offense.

Last edited:
I'd be ecstatic with 4 wins. I expect 1-2 though. I admire your enthusiasm. If we don't get clubbed like a baby seal week in and week out that's a sign of improvement. Having the lead, even briefly, is also a sign. A defensive take away is a sign. The line not getting man handled is a sign. Not finishing near last in some NCAA categories is another sign. Once we do all that we migh record some wins.

I'd be ecstatic with 4 wins. I expect 1-2 though. I admire your enthusiasm. If we don't get clubbed like a baby seal week in and week out that's a sign of improvement. Having the lead, even briefly, is also a sign. A defensive take away is a sign. The line not getting man handled is a sign. Not finishing near last in some NCAA categories is another sign. Once we do all that we migh record some wins.
Well we had leads against CSU, Sac State, and Utah last year. There's three games we should have won.

Seriously, one win? WTF? One or two wins would be regressing, regardless of the 1-11 record last year.

Yawn. Wake me when...
Yes, I'll vote in this camp. Although I'm more pleased that he choose THIS calibre of text than the opposite side, I know. Still, get the grades, get the education. That's the best THIS crop of players can hope for. School (and football program) success remains about 90% of what the student can get out of it for himself, for his own goals. Scoreboards are insignificant, by comparison.

Hard to really put a number on the wins next year without seeing what we're rolling with, but I'm pretty sure a 5 win season at the minimum is probably not going to happen.

At the very least we should manhandle the freakin' FCS team we have scheduled. I'd also like to think we should beat CSU, but beyond that, I'm not going to expect any other wins on the schedule. We traded out Stanford and WSU for Cal and OSU which isn't really in our favor, so the P12 schedule gets harder.

Well we had leads against CSU, Sac State, and Utah last year. There's three games we should have won.

Seriously, one win? WTF? One or two wins would be regressing, regardless of the 1-11 record last year.

Well, you can set your bench mark at 4 and ill set mine at 2. Fair enough?

I like how some people think all you have to do is change coaches and voila there are six wins and a bowl.

We have a serious talent gap and that will take time to fix. In other words were not a post Neuheisel team. And were not in the WAC with a soft schedule.

Sat, Aug 31 Colorado State at Denver, Colo. TBA
Sat, Sep 07 CENTRAL ARKANSAS BOULDER TBA
Sat, Sep 14 FRESNO STATE BOULDER TBA

Pac-12 HOME (4)
Sat, Sep 21 - Sat, Nov 30 ARIZONA-CALIFORNIA-OREGON-USC

Pac-12 ROAD (5)
Sat, Sep 21 - Sat, Nov 30 Arizona State-Oregon State-UCLA-Utah-Washington
Good point. But if we had a competent coaching staff last year we would have been 4-8. I'm expecting 4-8 to 6-6 next year, but that's what I thought this year. Ugh! This program is pathetic.

Counting is obviously not your strong point.

Water Bottle's staff could have coached Alabama's talent to a 3-9 record, that's how bad they were in scheming and making personnel choices.

CU's talent is not horrible and certainly not the equal of OU, USC and UCLA, but the latter two teams' staff appear to do so much less with more talent than they are given credit for. Kiffin and Mora both remain questionable hires.

That said, the Buffs' talent needs to be coached up and schemed to put them in a position to make plays. Fresno and AZ games were perfect examples of FUBAR scheming. Both opponents's offenses were made to look all-World by just horrible schemes and by clueless players just going through the motions.

All of these problems could be cured by the new staff implementing their methods that were successful at SJSU and by just coaching up these college kids to play with pride and emotion. WB's team played indifferently because WB was about as inspiring as a wet rag and NFL-style, expected the kids to psych up themselves.

in any event, been down so long, anything HCMM does, will look like up to me!

Back