What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could a CU move to the 12 Pac be the beginning of the end for Nebraska?

I think it has to be Utah and no one else. Don't underestimate the academic component of all this. Utah is the best academic institution of the three (UU, BYU, and NM) and according to our new Utah poster it is on track to become an AAU member soon. For this reason alone, Utah has to be the non-CU player in this equation unless the Pac is somehow able to grab texas, in which case our participation in the expansion deal becomes far less of a certainty.

You address a great point here. Every TV in the flat, forgettable state of nebraska will be tuned to any husker football game. Similarly, every set will be tuned to pre-game and post game analysis, so long as the huskers are mentioned in some positive context.

But, here's something else to consider. The Gilligan factor. Back when Gilligan's Island aired new episodes, it actually gathered rather impressive ratings. Impressive enough for writers to keep the crew and guests of the USS Minnow on the island for numerous seasons. Then someone had the bright idea to perform a little demographics research. It turns out, when the dust settled and the real audience of Gilligan's Island was finally revealed to the advertisers who pumped dollars into the show, only Ronco was left with a dog in that fight. That's why the show was cancelled; despite decent ratings, nobody wanted to waste money selling products to the riff-raff that was watching (or at least that's what some professor told us about 20 years ago).

So, while nobody disputes that nebraska fans will adjust their rabbit ears in droves just to catch a glimpse of faded glory, the question remains whether or not anybody wants to spend money courting the business of husker fans. Can Zebco, adult diapers, harvester international and cough syrup dollars really justify the inclusion of this team into a conference TV bid?

I don't know the answers...I'm just asking the questions.

Really? Economic smack? Nebraska's economy is healthier than most of the rest of the nation. Also remember that Omaha has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the nation.

I'm not trying to be a dick . . . but it rings hollow when a fan of a school who can't afford to fire their coach is saying fans of the 4th most profitable college football team in that nation don't have money to spend.

Edit: I really don't know any statistics regarding how much a Nebraska fan would spend as a result of viewing advertisements as compared to a fan of a different school. I don't have any idea how that could even be calculated. That said, Nebraska fans are largely NOT poor. The donations, ticket sales, bowl game migrations, etc. all hint that Nebraska fans have plenty of discretionary income. Again, I'm sorry if I came off too rude in this post. That was not my intent.

Last edited:
You address a great point here. Every TV in the flat, forgettable state of nebraska will be tuned to any husker football game. Similarly, every set will be tuned to pre-game and post game analysis, so long as the huskers are mentioned in some positive context.

But, here's something else to consider. The Gilligan factor. Back when Gilligan's Island aired new episodes, it actually gathered rather impressive ratings. Impressive enough for writers to keep the crew and guests of the USS Minnow on the island for numerous seasons. Then someone had the bright idea to perform a little demographics research. It turns out, when the dust settled and the real audience of Gilligan's Island was finally revealed to the advertisers who pumped dollars into the show, only Ronco was left with a dog in that fight. That's why the show was cancelled; despite decent ratings, nobody wanted to waste money selling products to the riff-raff that was watching (or at least that's what some professor told us about 20 years ago).

So, while nobody disputes that nebraska fans will adjust their rabbit ears in droves just to catch a glimpse of faded glory, the question remains whether or not anybody wants to spend money courting the business of husker fans. Can Zebco, adult diapers, harvester international and cough syrup dollars really justify the inclusion of this team into a conference TV bid?

I don't know the answers...I'm just asking the questions.

I see where you are coming from, but you are still only looking at the direct benefit from adding the State of Nebraska. My point was which team (Nebraska, Missouri, or Rutgers), will "move the meter" within the existing conference footprint? Will Michigan vs Missouri be pretty much an "average" rating? Would Nebraska vs Michigan? And not just within the hometowns market, but across all DMA's within the footprint. In Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh? Will anyone else in the conference care about Missouri vs Penn State besides Missouri and Penn State? What about Nebraska vs Penn State?

My position is that the Big Ten Network has already grown to represent 75 million TV households. They are already on the expanded cable tier in St. Louis. At this point the BTN can increase revenues in 2 ways: add more TV sets and collect the carrier fee from expanded cable subscribers within that market, or maximize the revenue they get from advertisers by having great ratings of their games. Having higher ratings also puts them in position to increase the monthly carrier charge (from the current $0.75 or so). If the ratings are high enough then they could increase that fee to $1.00 or $1.10 and no market out there could match that type of revenue increase.

Let's say that the BTN currently has 30 million TV sets within it's footprint that it collects the $0.75 per month from. That is $270 million annually.

Adding Missouri might bring in 2,190,000 (KC & StL), which is very debatable that they would bring that much. That would bring an additional $19.7 million annually.

My assumption is that Missouri's TV ratings across the board will be "Big Ten average" and therefore will result in status quo of their advertising and carrier charges.

Now, adding Nebraska will bring in 691,000 (Omaha/Lincoln) which is certainly a safe assumption. That would bring an additional $6.2 million annually. My assumption is that the higher TV ratings for the Fuskers in all the TV markets of the BTN might make it possible for a 10% increase in advertising and carrier charges across the board. (I am not someone with a TV marketing background so do not think I am an "expert" just pencil-whipping this). A 10% increase across the board would be an additional $27 million.

So even if the BTN can get a 5% increase ($13.5 million) + their own DMA of $6.2 million then it is a $19.7 million total, making both schools "equal" from a TV standpoint. That leaves the other factors to be discussed, which I think favors Nebraska over Missouri.

I hate trying to "pump up" the corn here, just looking at things objectively. It isn't so much about what Nebraska brings to the table, but that Missouri doesn't benefit the Big Ten as much as people think.

Yep, those nubraskans sure are poor. How in the world that program was listen in the Top5 most valuable teams is quite perplexing.

And how in the world their athletic program racks in more money than Colorado with all of our deep pockets is weird, also.

Just found a site for the per capita income by state rankings based on the 2007 census:

The mid-Atlantic/ north-Atlantic states dominate the top 10 except for 3 spots:

Wyoming: #6
California: #7
Colorado: #10

Big 12 States:

Colorado: #10
Texas: #21
Kansas: #22
Nebraska: #24
Iowa: #27
Missouri: #32
Oklahoma: #33

Pac 10 States:

California: #7
Washington: #14
Oregon: #30
Arizona: #40

This points to the problem for the Pac 10 when it comes to tv: their in-state paired rivalries put them in very few markets for a 10-team conference. This is why there's no way they'd go with Utah/BYU even if everything about BYU they don't like could be fixed.

Big 10 States:

Minnesota: #11
Illinois: #16
Pennsylvania: #19
Wisconsin: #25
Michigan: #26
Iowa: #27
Ohio: #28
Indiana: #37

Some of the possible Pac 10 expansion areas:

Nevada: #13
New Mexico: #43
Idaho: #44
Utah: #45

And then the big question: Does any of this even matter when the SEC got the huge tv contract and they're made up of Florida (#20), Louisiana (#31), Georgia (#38), Tennessee, (#39), Alabama (#42), Kentucky (#46), South Carolina (#47), Arkansas (#48), and Mississippi (#50)?

Probably matters a little bit and should make Colorado even a bit more attractive to the Pac since we're pairing the #10 income base with the #16 media market. That's pretty strong for tv.

And then the big question: Does any of this even matter when the SEC got the huge tv contract and they're made up of Florida (#20), Louisiana (#31), Georgia (#38), Tennessee, (#39), Alabama (#42), Kentucky (#46), South Carolina (#47), Arkansas (#48), and Mississippi (#50)?

Probably matters a little bit and should make Colorado even a bit more attractive to the Pac since we're pairing the #10 income base with the #16 media market. That's pretty strong for tv.

I don't think it really matters directly. The SEC is already at an advantage because of the cultural impact of college football. Those Southern fans are more than willing to spend as great a % of their disposable income as possible to go to games, tailgate, buy merchandise, etc. The TV ratings, game attendance, and merchandise numbers are really the only thing that matters at making comparisons of the quality of their product. Quality in this case being revenue potential.

From the schools perspective those figures matter as the income bracket of their prospective graduates and their potential students' families will directly affect their enrollment.

Also, those demographics and TV markets don't really help the Big East do they?

So, the SEC has the worst demographics and TV markets but has one of the biggest contracts.

The difference?

Quality of play, long-developed cultural ties to the community/region, and national prestige.

Don't give a damn what happens to the corn. I really don't.

Having said that, they'll be just fine no matter what happens. Doesn't matter what the fusker fans per capita income is. They love that program, and with the support it receives you can bet it will be a player in college football for a long time.

Hell if CU could get similar support from the university and fan base the fuskers do, holy **** skies the limit. :huh:

Last edited:

Having said that, they'll be just fine no matter what happens. Doesn't matter what the fusker fans per capita income is. They love that program, and with the support it receives you can bet it will be a player in college football for a long time.

Hell if CU could get similar support from the university and fan base the fuskers do, holy **** skies the limit. :huh:
Agreed. CU has enormous potential. Gorgeous campus, proximity to urban areas and mountains, etc. etc. If the fans would rally behind the school financially and on game days . . . CU would come roaring back.

You are correct. No matter what happens, NU will be fine. NU has a nationwide fan base and is a true top 5 of all time team.

I'm pretty sure most CU fans would miss NU. The atmosphere at the games over tha last 20 years is pretty exciting. That will be extremely difficult to replace. I would argue that CU would miss us far more than we would miss them. Without hatred for us, this would be a pretty tame joint. We complete you.

We had that with OU for a long time and usually came out on the short end but it was THE game of the season. Games with them now just don't feel the same.

I'm pretty sure most CU fans would miss NU. The atmosphere at the games over tha last 20 years is pretty exciting. That will be extremely difficult to replace. I would argue that CU would miss us far more than we would miss them. Without hatred for us, this would be a pretty tame joint. We complete you.

Nope, I'm pretty sure most CU fans won't. Count me as one of them that definitely won't. It's almost gotten to the point where if you're wearing CU gear in Folsom during the fusker game security considers you the enemy. I got into it with security after the game a couple of months ago and told them so. Coloradoans for Nebraska sending a letter to the AD several years back telling them to clean up the atmosphere at Folsom. **** YOU! :finger:

The North would look awesome with OU and OSU

OU
OSU
ISU
KU
KSU
NU

Maybe Iowa St. will continue to get better and they'll become the corn's natural rival.:smile2:

Ummmm, no. You couldn't be more incorrect. Sorry. The vast majority of CU fans hate nebraska because their fans infest our state, constantly reminding us of their presence here. Every two years we have to deal with them stinking up our stadium. If there was no CU/NU game every year, we wouldn't give a damn. Seriously, you give yourself way too much credit. To a man, everybody I talk to about a possible move to the Pac 10 says "well, we'd lose the NU game, but I can live with that".

Really? Economic smack? Nebraska's economy is healthier than most of the rest of the nation. Also remember that Omaha has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the nation.

I'm not trying to be a dick . . . but it rings hollow when a fan of a school who can't afford to fire their coach is saying fans of the 4th most profitable college football team in that nation don't have money to spend.

I see where you are coming from, but you are still only looking at the direct benefit from adding the State of Nebraska. My point was which team (Nebraska, Missouri, or Rutgers), will "move the meter" within the existing conference footprint? Will Michigan vs Missouri be pretty much an "average" rating? Would Nebraska vs Michigan? And not just within the hometowns market, but across all DMA's within the footprint. In Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh? Will anyone else in the conference care about Missouri vs Penn State besides Missouri and Penn State? What about Nebraska vs Penn State?

Yep, those nubraskans sure are poor. How in the world that program was listen in the Top5 most valuable teams is quite perplexing.

And how in the world their athletic program racks in more money than Colorado with all of our deep pockets is weird, also.

Oh Christ, relax people. My post had nothing to do with economics and everything to do with taste. It was intended to be a joke.

All of this speculation has led me to one fun conclusion. Nebraska is the ugly kid standing alone at the dance that nobody wants to talk to.

Here's the reality of the situation - true TV contracts will and already have controlled the business of college football. TV networks will seek programs that generate viewers - SEC for example - huge fans bases. According to Forbes' Most valuable teams:
Team Profit Value
1) Texas $59 mil $119 mil
2) Notre Dame $38 mil $108 mil
3) Penn State $50 mil $99 mil
4) Nebraska $49 mil $93 mil
There is no way in hell these teams are going to be ignored by any television network. Do you really think they are going to starve a cash cow? Money makes money, you will see these teams on television on a regular basis. These teams can pick and choose where they want to go. Hell, the Big 10 wouldn't mind having the 3 and 4 most valuable football teams.

Ummmm, no. You couldn't be more incorrect. Sorry. The vast majority of CU fans hate nebraska because their fans infest our state, constantly reminding us of their presence here. Every two years we have to deal with them stinking up our stadium. If there was no CU/NU game every year, we wouldn't give a damn. Seriously, you give yourself way too much credit. To a man, everybody I talk to about a possible move to the Pac 10 says "well, we'd lose the NU game, but I can live with that".

yep, that is my hatred. And they act so ****ing arrogant like they invented football and their **** don't stink. They come into our state taunting us, yet cheer for our other hometown teams (because the ****ing assclowns don't have any teams to cheer for in Nebraska!). Hey Nebraska ****tards, why come here and cheer on the broncos, think you own this state and dog CU so much you ****ing overatted pieces of ****? **** Nebraska! The Nebraska fans living in Colorado would miss this game so bad it would be hilarious. They would whine like little bitches they are. Go back to your ****ing ugly state and **** some corn cobs you ****ing assholes!

yep, that is my hatred. And they act so ****ing arrogant like they invented football and their **** don't stink. They come into our state taunting us, yet cheer for our other hometown teams (because the ****ing assclowns don't have any teams to cheer for in Nebraska!). Hey Nebraska ****tards, why come here and cheer on the broncos, think you own this state and dog CU so much you ****ing overatted pieces of ****? **** Nebraska! The Nebraska fans living in Colorado would miss this game so bad it would be hilarious. They would whine like little bitches they are. Go back to your ****ing ugly state and **** some corn cobs you ****ing assholes!

"Hell" hath been "Unleash"ed....

That will be extremely difficult to replace. I would argue that CU would miss us far more than we would miss them. Without hatred for us, this would be a pretty tame joint. We complete you.

LOL quote of the week right there. Pure gold. "I can feel your anger."

:lol::lol:

Maybe Beak has a point....

:lol::lol:

Maybe Beak has a point....

Oh I can hate other teams, Oregon for one is a huge family rival.

One more thing, the thing that really chaps my ass is the ****ers moving here and keep loyal to their team but dog the **** out of us. I have seen it done, my grandfather went to school at Nebraska, moved here and became a long time season ticket holder and Nebraska hater. It can be done!

The thing is, if CU goes to the Pac 10, Nebraska becomes just another state. Like Wyoming or Idaho or North Dakota. It's not a state right now. It's those asshole fuskers.

The thing is, if CU goes to the Pac 10, Nebraska becomes just another state. Like Wyoming or Idaho or North Dakota. It's not a state right now. It's those asshole fuskers.

I can think of reasons I may actually visit Wyoming, Idaho or North Dakota.

I've seen this repeated so many times by Nebraskans that you all seem to believe it without any source referenced.

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2006/03/millionaireintro.html

Los Alamos, NM is #1. I don't know where Omaha ranks, but it's not in the top 10.

No, no, no. You're confused on this one, Nik. The Kiplinger article references U.S. Dollars. Omaha ranks #1 in the U.S. in "classy dollars". lincoln is #2 (and I mean that in every sense of the expression) in per capita "classy dollars".

Classy dollars are more conceptual, but can be stretched a lot farther among the uber-classy fans to our north east.

I've seen this repeated so many times by Nebraskans that you all seem to believe it without any source referenced.

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/archives/2006/03/millionaireintro.html

Los Alamos, NM is #1. I don't know where Omaha ranks, but it's not in the top 10.

I googled it and every single site that says omaha is #1 references this site: http://www.omahahomesguide.com/

But Omahahomesguide doesn't show where it got that number. All the other show where they got their stats and none have Omaha in the top ten.

But all the lists that I saw were varied. One even had Telluride as number 1.

Back