What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could Buffaloes Coach Tad Boyle Be A Candidate At Kansas State?

I'm pretty sure that neither of them thinks of anything before it's brought up on AllBuffs.

As an aside, it's also good that we've made Boyle aware of the fact that he needs to consider class balance issues.

As a further aside, Embree must be very glad that we clued him into the fact that creating roster depth and competition is important.

We rock. :smile2:

we should definitely do a starting five poll.

we should definitely do a starting five poll.

Why stop there? We can probably provide a nice assist with substitution pattern, too. After all, the adjustments made throughout the season at the behest of AllBuffs was the single biggest factor in winning a Pac-12 Championship.

KSU fans are still yapping about this - is there any cause for concern?

Yeah - I wasn't asking you Tini
So you don't trust the tweets from a interview with Tad that said:

@EricGoodman seems to have squashed this rumor. According to him, Tad Boyle said: "Don't have interest in other jobs. Want to do something special at CU."

@Eric Goodman More from my chat w/ #CUBUFFS Tad Boyle, “If I’m looking for the next best gig while recruiting, then I’m a hypocrite."

He'll have a big interview with Boyle for MileHighSports tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

That new interview with Goodman is what I keep coming back to. Boyle dropped a lot of heavy stuff about integrity and not being a hypocrite. I thought I was too jaded to believe that stuff from a coach in today's market, but Tad has pulled me in. I believe he's sincere. If he did leave this year, I wouldn't like how cynical that would make me.

: shrug :

That didn't seem squash the rumors the last few days. I'm just asking if any of our basketball insiders have heard any rumblings.

You should go troll http://goemaw.com/fatty.html - it is an amusing site. I suspect they would eat you alive. I found this thread amusing: http://goemaw.com/forum/index.php?topic=20347.0

[h=3]Topic: First question to ask Tad Boyle when he is inevitably announced as our MBB Coach[/h]
"Coach Tad, Chingon goEMAW DAT CAAM, what is your favorite flavor of cottage cheese cups? Plain I bet."

"Coach, Cole Manbeck Manhattan Mercury. You've described Colorado as your dream job. Does that make this your nightmare job, your cat nap job, or your eyes wide open job?

"Coach Boyle, Tim Fitzgerald from GoPowercat. Can we expect any changes to the snacks in the hospitality room going forward?"

"Coach, michigancat here. Welcome to Kansas. Was wondering if you would like to go to the world flatpicking championships in Winfield in September. Could be pretty fun."

"Tad, are you ever concerned when you go places that you haven't been before that their doors won't be wide enough to fit your huge ****ing head through?"

Yeah - I read it Tini. It is an article written in Mile High Sports, it is not a direct denial of taking the KSU job if offered. If it was, I suspect KSU boards wouldn't be talking about it.

Yeah - I read it Tini. It is an article written in Mile High Sports, it is not a direct denial of taking the KSU job if offered. If it was, I suspect KSU boards wouldn't be talking about it.
You must not see the **** they say very much and a few have admitted they don't have a shot with him.

This sounds like denying it:

"“If I’m looking for the next best gig while recruiting, then I’m a hypocrite. I’m not a used car salesman.” And that he’s not, especially when it comes to cashing in on the next big payday."

Heard a million coaches say that, then jump at the next job they see.

I like Tad, sounds like he's probably staying. I'm not asking for you to rewrite the Mile High Sports article. I'm asking if anyone who knows anything about the situation has heard any different rumblings the last few days. Sounds like Nik hasn't, and he is hopeful that the article is accurate.

Great - glad to hear it.

I like Tad, sounds like he's probably staying. I'm not asking for you to rewrite the Mile High Sports article. I'm asking if anyone who knows anything about the situation has heard any different rumblings the last few days. Sounds like Nik hasn't, and he is hopeful that the article is accurate.

Great - glad to hear it.
Zero rumblings on Rivals and Buffscoop.

No developments. KSU fans are delusional and hopefully by tomorrow they face the reality of either promoting their top assistant or hiring Jankovich from Illinois State. Those are their options.

Great - glad to hear it.

This is the new article (Wednesday) that has the KSU fans focused on Boyle: http://www.kansas.com/2012/03/27/2273417/bob-lutz-looks-at-some-k-state.html

I think a big reason they're so focused on Tad is that the other names on that list are so unexciting or unrealistic.

Here are 10 coaches who could be good fits:

Tad Boyle, head coach, Colorado – If Boyle is interested, the other nine guys on my list might as well look elsewhere. I have been high on Boyle since his six years as an assistant to Mark Turgeon at Wichita State. He’s proven as a head coach (four years at Northern Colorado, two at Colorado) to be a good recruiter and tactician. He’s said in the past that Colorado is his dream job because he and his wife, Ann, are from nearby Greeley. But it can’t hurt to ask.

Here's the article from the day before that got a lot of attention: http://blogs.kansas.com/kstated/2012/03/28/basketball-coaching-search-day-one/

Tad Boyle
Boyle has ties with Currie. Both worked at Tennessee in 1997, and they have kept in contact over the years. Boyle is the current head coach at Colorado, and has had two successful seasons there. Last year, with Alec Burks leading the way, his Buffaloes were snubbed by the NCAA Tournament following an impressive season that featured three wins over K-State. This season, Colorado won the Pac-12 Tournament and advanced to the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament.

Before coming to Colorado, he helped Wichita State reach the Sweet 16 as an assistant and then became a head coach at Northern Colorado, where he helped it transition from Division II and win more than 20 games as a member of the Big Sky Conference. He has a strong recruiting class coming to Colorado next season.
He is a Colorado native and has called Colorado his dream job. He recently told Nebraska he had no interest in its opening and told a media outlet yesterday he is not interested in other jobs.
“I want to do something special here at Colorado,” he said to Mile High Sports. “I don’t have any interest in other jobs. I would love it if CU were my last job.”
So it doesn’t sound like he is ready to leave. But he likes the Big 12 and has lived in Kansas before. He played college basketball for the Jayhawks in the 1980s before his stint in Wichita. K-State could also offer him a big pay raise. He made about $1 million this season in Boulder. The Wildcats could double that figure.

This is the new article (Wednesday) that has the KSU fans focused on Boyle: http://www.kansas.com/2012/03/27/2273417/bob-lutz-looks-at-some-k-state.html

I think a big reason they're so focused on Tad is that the other names on that list are so unexciting or unrealistic.

Here are 10 coaches who could be good fits:

Tad Boyle, head coach, Colorado – If Boyle is interested, the other nine guys on my list might as well look elsewhere. I have been high on Boyle since his six years as an assistant to Mark Turgeon at Wichita State. He’s proven as a head coach (four years at Northern Colorado, two at Colorado) to be a good recruiter and tactician. He’s said in the past that Colorado is his dream job because he and his wife, Ann, are from nearby Greeley. But it can’t hurt to ask.

They answered their own question.

I do think it is possible that Tad will eventually go someplace else but a school like KSU isn't going to be it.

If this were Kansas I would be very worried but there are lots of reasons why Tad wouldn't go to KSU.

Everything I've heard from KSU is very one-sided. They want him as coach, but there doesn't appear to be any mutual interest. I mean, both articles mention that he's an unlikely candidate, and then try to throw out reasons for him to be interested. "He's lived in Kansas before" doesn't exactly scream interest on Boyle's part, though.

They answered their own question.

I do think it is possible that Tad will eventually go someplace else but a school like KSU isn't going to be it.

If this were Kansas I would be very worried but there are lots of reasons why Tad wouldn't go to KSU.

I'm really not sure he'll go anywhere else. Tad's actually in a pretty unique position, where he inherits a job with a school that suddenly has the resources to really support the program and turn it into a top-notch basketball school, yet there's almost no history, or legacy, for him to compete with. If he can continue turning the program around, he will be the dominant figure in CU basketball history. I know someone else said it before, but it's truly the type of situation where he could have the arena named after him. If he moves on to another school, it'll be because the AD doesn't show a consistent commitment to the program in the coming years, IMO.

This notion that K-St, or anybody else for that matter, could pay gobs and gobs more than CU is preposterous. Somebody needs to tell them that anything they offer would be easily matched. Easily. Without hesitation.

Basically, KSU has nothing that Boyle wants. He doesn't want to live in Manhattan. He doesn't want to coach at KSU. He doesn't like the Big 12 (what a joke, is that guy serious?). This whole story needs to die quickly.

I'm really not sure he'll go anywhere else. Tad's actually in a pretty unique position, where he inherits a job with a school that suddenly has the resources to really support the program and turn it into a top-notch basketball school, yet there's almost no history, or legacy, for him to compete with. If he can continue turning the program around, he will be the dominant figure in CU basketball history. I know someone else said it before, but it's truly the type of situation where he could have the arena named after him. If he moves on to another school, it'll be because the AD doesn't show a consistent commitment to the program in the coming years, IMO.

I agree with you completely. Tad seems like he has the job he wants at a place where he can make his success his own. It also happens to be where he wants to live, where his wife wants to live, and where they want to raise their kids. The school has shown a willingness to put resources into the program (new basketball facility) and to support him with a competive salary for him and his assistants.

My reference to Kansas was that may be the only place he would consider since he played there, has strong connections there, and the chance to coach at a school that should be in contention for a title most years would be hard to ignore. If Kansas came calling I think he would at least give them a listen, schools like Kanasas State are wasting their time. Ultimately he seems to be very happy in Boulder and is not the kind of guy who is always looking for his next job, it is going to take something very special to get him to listen to other offers.

I'm looking at their coaching list. If Gottleib, (who I like on the radio) but has never coached is my fallback...

Prefer, want the banners.

Well lets check the banners.

Lute Olson:

Championships
NCAA Division I Tournament Championship (1997)
Regional Championships - Final Four (1980, 1988, 1994, 1997, 2001)
Pac-10 Tournament Championship (1988, 1989, 1990, 2002)
Pac-10 Regular Season Championship (1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005)
Big West Regular Season Championship (1974)
Big Ten Regular Season Championship (1979)

Dean Smith:

Championships

NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championships: (1982, 1993)
Regional Championships - Final Four (1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997)
ACC Tournament Championships
(1967, 1968, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1997)
ACC Regular Season Championships
(1967, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1993, 1995)
NIT Championship (1971)

I'm hoping he becomes CU's Dean Smith.

I know that sounds great and all, but did you know that Dean Smith didn't win a national championship until his 21st year as head coach at UNC? For all the success he had, he only won two national championships.

I'd be thrilled if Tad Boyle had that kind of success here. Absolutely thrilled. Just saying that Dean Smith's legend is far greater than his reality.

Back