What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could Jon Embree Be The Buff's New Head Coach ?

We really want Cabral as DC? The defense has not exactly been setting the world on fire the last three games. I'm all for keeping him as LB and assistant head coach, but not as DC.
That's because Cabal hasn't taken over the defense. I'm sure they're doing things a little differently, but you can't overhaul the entire D within two to three weeks.

That's because Cabal hasn't taken over the defense. I'm sure they're doing things a little differently, but you can't overhaul the entire D within two to three weeks.

Agree, but they must get bigger up front on the dl and much quicker overall, especially the back 7 in the pass happy pac 10/pac 12

I hope Cabral makes the move to DC. I understand that probably wont' happen here, but I think he's going to climb the ranks pretty fast.

I hope Cabral makes the move to DC. I understand that probably wont' happen here, but I think he's going to climb the ranks pretty fast.

Agree - I sort of wish we had an intern under Cabral that took over a few years ago as LB coach - similar situation to Brown and Ambrose. Cabral could've left, become a DC and beefed up his resume to take over the CU HC job. I think Cabral will be a great coach one day...but I don't think right now he is as qualified as others. I think for his personal career, he needs to leave. He'll be back if we offer him a position; that's for sure.

syko and others - Cabral can't be held accountable for the last two weeks' defense. We still have Collins running that ship, and Cabral has been telling everyone that these last weeks, he's been relying on his assistants to fulfill their responsibilities to the max. Cabral will be a great DC in my opinion.

edit - "syko and others" should really just be azbuff...sorry.

I don't think Embree would be a significantly higher risk that Bienemy, or Miles, or Mac, or anybody else thats likely.

Embree has a lot of experience in college, he was a great recruiter, he knows and loves CU, he was the passing game coordinator at UCLA(when they were top ten in passing), he's a fantastic sideline presence, he has been a successful position coach at the pro level, he knows the west coast offense inside and out (which is what we've recruited for, more or less).And considering the guys he's coached with, I think he'd put together a fantastic staff.

Is he a slam dunk? No, but frankly nobody on our list is a slam dunk. Could Les Miles win here without the automatic recruiting advantage LSU has? Could Mac win after having been retired for 16 years? Could a pro guy like Shanahan or Gruden deal with college athletes and adapt? And guys like David Shaw and Jim McElwain aren't exactly slam dunks either.

What is a Passing Game Coordinator? IMO either your the OC, or not really. I doubt Embo had much say over Norvell in playcalling at UCLA.

What is a Passing Game Coordinator? IMO either your the OC, or not really. I doubt Embo had much say over Norvell in playcalling at UCLA.

I guess it means a greater degree of involvement in game planning and playbook design. Definitely not playcalling. Isn't that what Kiesau was before he was OC?

I'd take Embo as HC over Calhoun every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Would there be any conflict of interest issues with him being pres./founder of Buffs for Life and HC at the same time?

Jay Norvell was the OC at UCLA in 2007, 2 years after Jon Embree left to coach TE's for the KC Chiefs. Tom Cable was the OC when Embree was passing game coordinator. I imagine that Cable was calling the plays, but having running game and passing game coordinators is pretty common in college.

With with all of AZ's mouthpieces pushing Embree? Very vanilla hire as an HC

I'm not a mouthpiece of AZ or anybody else. And I'm not really pushing anybody for head coach, just pointing out that a slam dunk hire doesn't exist. I'd love for Embree to get the job, but I'm not going to be too upset if they hire David Shaw or Andy Ludwig, or manage to pull a Les Miles. Troy Calhoun would make me want to vomit blood.

love Jon Embree but not as CU HC. Does he even get a sniff from anyone else as a coordinator let alone HC? I'd rather have Calhoun.

Jay Norvell was the OC at UCLA in 2007, 2 years after Jon Embree left to coach TE's for the KC Chiefs. Tom Cable was the OC when Embree was passing game coordinator. I imagine that Cable was calling the plays, but having running game and passing game coordinators is pretty common in college.
I stand corrected. I just don't think that title carries any weight.

I stand corrected. I just don't think that title carries any weight.

Point taken. I'm pretty sure Cable was calling the plays at UCLA, I just think that Embree has a better resume than people realize. His resume is better than Bienemy's for example. I'm not bashing EB, if he's hired I'll be happy too, but I think people are letting their nostalgia for what kind of player EB was cloud their perception of him as a coach. He's an excellent candidate, but he's not the messiah, any more than Les Miles or Coach Mac or anybody else.

But hey, if Les Miles gets sick of the loon-poodles down in SEC land and comes here, I'll be thrilled. I'm not going to cry if Embree loses out to somebody like that.

Point taken. I'm pretty sure Cable was calling the plays at UCLA, I just think that Embree has a better resume than people realize. His resume is better than Bienemy's for example. I'm not bashing EB, if he's hired I'll be happy too, but I think people are letting their nostalgia for what kind of player EB was cloud their perception of him as a coach. He's an excellent candidate, but he's not the messiah, any more than Les Miles or Coach Mac or anybody else.

But hey, if Les Miles gets sick of the loon-poodles down in SEC land and comes here, I'll be thrilled. I'm not going to cry if Embree loses out to somebody like that.

Embo is the man. I loved watching him coach while he was here with Mac. He always seemed like a quiet guy, that commanded a ton of respect. I always tried to imitate that.

I hope he proves me wrong. I'd love to see him succeed here in Boulder.

Last edited:
Meh on JE. I like the guy, but he'd be our version of Dorrell or Willingham or something, nice guy, good recruiter, not the best coach. jmo

Agree - I sort of wish we had an intern under Cabral that took over a few years ago as LB coach - similar situation to Brown and Ambrose. Cabral could've left, become a DC and beefed up his resume to take over the CU HC job. I think Cabral will be a great coach one day...but I don't think right now he is as qualified as others. I think for his personal career, he needs to leave. He'll be back if we offer him a position; that's for sure.

syko and others - Cabral can't be held accountable for the last two weeks' defense. We still have Collins running that ship, and Cabral has been telling everyone that these last weeks, he's been relying on his assistants to fulfill their responsibilities to the max. Cabral will be a great DC in my opinion.

edit - "syko and others" should really just be azbuff...sorry.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion here, but how can he not be held at least partially accountable for the defense? He coached the most important defensive position all year and is the head coach. I'd say that makes him accountable. People want to give him all the credit for the improved play (largely on offense), but he can't be held accountable for the side of the ball he's coached his entire career?

I realize this isn't a popular opinion here, but how can he not be held at least partially accountable for the defense? He coached the most important defensive position all year and is the head coach. I'd say that makes him accountable. People want to give him all the credit for the improved play (largely on offense), but he can't be held accountable for the side of the ball he's coached his entire career?
I don't feel the LB's were the weak point of the D.

Disagree with this statement. EB has been going up on the ladder, JE has been stuck as a position coach. I would take EB's resume over JE at the moment.

Back