What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Could too much depth be a problem?

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
Hearing Boyle talk about a 10-man bench has me wondering if we're allowing our players to get into a rythem. Thoughts?

It could... but I don't think so. It lets us press, which Boyle hasn't been able to do since he got here, and based on his statements before the hiring, its what he really wants to do.

The best players will always get their 30 minutes. We will not having to play anyone like Higgins 35+minutes. Giving bench guys a few minutes will allow for energy, tougher defense, and experience.
Guys may be expected to get into rhythm quicker, but the fresh legs will make up for it.

10 is a good number. Even if we had 5 guy who were so good we'd want them playing 30-35 minutes a night, we'd still have at least an 8-man rotation. My concern was actually the other way - that Tad would try to find minutes for a dozen guys this year.

its a problem in my mind, chen cant be in this rotation

I do not understand why people are hesitant to play Chen. He's been great for us this season IMO. He's limited, but he knows that, and he understands his role. Great defender. I'm perfectly fine with him battling Adams for the backup swingman role.

I do not understand why people are hesitant to play Chen. He's been great for us this season IMO. He's limited, but he knows that, and he understands his role. Great defender. I'm perfectly fine with him battling Adams for the backup swingman role.

because people are idiots who think: "huh this guy couldnt see the court at DU, he's not worthy of being here."

because people are idiots who think: "huh this guy couldnt see the court at DU, he's not worthy of being here."

He brings a lot of hustle and a surprising amount of athleticism.

We really need Cain to step up. Our production in the paint is lacking.

He brings a lot of hustle and a surprising amount of athleticism.

We really need Cain to step up. Our production in the paint is lacking.

Agree with both points. Enjoy the energy Chen brings. Hope Cain gets comfortable quickly.

I'll have to agree w/ you, if we looked a little deeper like the game by game stats as opposed to just season totals at DU, chen had a handful of games w/ double digit scoring, and an handful of times led in other stat categories on certain games w/ extremely limited minutes... the goofiest stat is in his frosh year, he led the team in off. rebounds, what the heck?!?! Also note that chen actually(for limited minutes) has guarded the 4 and 5 spots(like against WMich and Georgia) saving precious minutes and fouls for andre, sht and austin, I'd trade that all day long when we got like 8 guards(of which only 6 are game ready) to for lack of a better word... sacrifice defensively... we don't want ski, nate or dinwiddie fouling out guarding 4 or 5's.... and watching adams and chen, I think when cain comes back, that opens the game for them.... I dont know about you, but guarding guys 30-60 lbs bigger for even a couple of minutes can ruin your day!

the key thing to remember whether its chen, adams, sharpe etc, its a long season, anything can happen(injuries, grades, etc) and I have to agree w/ Coach, run w/ 10, press like hell at home and watch the sea level ballers start puking in the second half.... I LIKE IT!!!!!!

So, I'm assuming that the 10-man is Tomlinson, Dinwiddie, Dufault, Brown, and Roberson as the typical starting 5 rotating in Adams, Booker, Cain, Harris-Tunks, and Chen. I'm fine with that. The hope would be that having Cain in there could limit some of Harris-Tunks minutes, which is good based on what we've seen so far. Chen and Adams splitting time isn't a bad thing either. So, more realistically, we're looking at Tomlinson, Dinwiddie, Dufault, Brown, and Roberson, with Cain and Booker being the 6th men, and Adams, Harris-Tunks, and Chen seeing spot duty as necessary. That seems even better to me.

I for one believe that chen is an unkown wildcard for Tad(and only Tad knows and as the season unfolds we may see), and since most of us may not have followed local high school sports or DU, he's just doesn't have the press like the other TB recruits. But in all fairness, on the surface, through six games he has been erratic on the offensive side, but no more erratic than ski, nate, austin, or andre. Not sure if anyone saw the WichitaSt game or the WMich game where he broke out the drop step spin move...ala Carlon... just say whoa to both those guys.... I feel like my knees are going to snap everytime I see Carlon or chen pull that move.... and defensively, if you watched the WMich game, he was key defensively in guarding the bigs and more importantly, the defensive doubling in the post...

So, I'm assuming that the 10-man is Tomlinson, Dinwiddie, Dufault, Brown, and Roberson as the typical starting 5 rotating in Adams, Booker, Cain, Harris-Tunks, and Chen. I'm fine with that. The hope would be that having Cain in there could limit some of Harris-Tunks minutes, which is good based on what we've seen so far. Chen and Adams splitting time isn't a bad thing either. So, more realistically, we're looking at Tomlinson, Dinwiddie, Dufault, Brown, and Roberson, with Cain and Booker being the 6th men, and Adams, Harris-Tunks, and Chen seeing spot duty as necessary. That seems even better to me.

Ski should be the 6th man, then Cain, cuz if he gets into foul trouble, then bring in SHT... but what the hell do I know, I'm just an armchair pre-school hoops coach/babysitter....lol....

The biggest question in my mind is really, what is the story on shannon? anyone know, talk about athleticism....

I for one believe that chen is an unkown wildcard for Tad(and only Tad knows and as the season unfolds we may see), and since most of us may not have followed local high school sports or DU, he's just doesn't have the press like the other TB recruits. But in all fairness, on the surface, through six games he has been erratic on the offensive side, but no more erratic than ski, nate, austin, or andre. Not sure if anyone saw the WichitaSt game or the WMich game where he broke out the drop step spin move...ala Carlon... just say whoa to both those guys.... I feel like my knees are going to snap everytime I see Carlon or chen pull that move.... and defensively, if you watched the WMich game, he was key defensively in guarding the bigs and more importantly, the defensive doubling in the post...
I do see Chen playing kind of that Eduardo Najera role for the Nugs a couple seasons back...that guy who comes off the bench and gives you that hustle spark. He is a wildcard for certain.

I prefer smaller rotations personally. Give me top talent and less depth than vice-versa...

I would agree w/ you for certain stretches, depending on the competition, but I've seen teams that run a 7-8 man rotation all season, have a great regular season, then choke in the conference tournament, a la wake forest a few years back.

I want us to use location and fresh legs to our advantage. Keeping our guards rested and ready to run for closing tight games is important. They need to compensate for our lack of a dominating frontcourt.

why do i not think Chen should be in the rotation?
-He has no offensive game to speak of, you cant play 4 on 5 on offense with the limited scoring we already have.

why do i not think Chen should be in the rotation?
-He has no offensive game to speak of, you cant play 4 on 5 on offense with the limited scoring we already have.

Chen is better than you think he is, check the numbers from a win-share perspective he's our 6th best offensive player.

I would agree w/ you for certain stretches, depending on the competition, but I've seen teams that run a 7-8 man rotation all season, have a great regular season, then choke in the conference tournament, a la wake forest a few years back.

Duke (**** Duke) is notorious for having small rotations

Chen

Win - share %? i really dont need any stats to determine that. Just going off of what ive seen of him i know were gonna get killed with him on the floor

Win - share %? i really dont need any stats to determine that. Just going off of what ive seen of him i know were gonna get killed with him on the floor

Couldn't disagree more with this, Chen has some offensive game, takes good shots and can finish on the break. And according to the stats they haven't been getting killed with hm on the court.

Duke (**** Duke) is notorious for having small rotations

yes, very true, and duke's 7th-11th men would be topped rank in just about any conference in the country... the reality is from our best player thru 12th player, none of them are mcdonald's all americans... and w/ that said, in Tad I Trust...he clearly knows how to bring and develop the best of these young men, as witnessed last season....

there's a quote from one of my coaches(decades ago, lol) and he said to me "stats don't lie, people do".... now granted of the six games, chen was less than impressive in the AF, CSU and Maryland games..... as was half of the rest of the rotation...and jgisland makes a great point, for the minutes he's getting, he's clearly not hurting the team and actually from what I've seen, he's given us a defensive edge that is rare for a 6'3" 180 lb guard that can defend effectively for a handful of minutes the opponents 1-4 positions as witnessed in the Western Michigan game....but then b+y, you may not have seen that game. Bottom line, I for one think Tad knows best... and I'm still curious on what's up w/ shannon??

By the way, just for discussions sake, where is chen getting killed on the floor? no worse than ski, dinwiddie or nate from what I've seen... just my opinion.

Couldn't disagree more with this, Chen has some offensive game, takes good shots and can finish on the break. And according to the stats they haven't been getting killed with hm on the court.

You really need to stop using facts in your arguments. It's not fair.

chen had his worst game against CSU. Couldn't finish, bad D, etc. Other than that, he's been solid (AFA excepted, but he was playing the ****ing 5 most of his time in)

chen had his worst game against CSU. Couldn't finish, bad D, etc. Other than that, he's been solid (AFA excepted, but he was playing the ****ing 5 most of his time in)
Agreed Chen has been given some of the toughest defensive assignments, from staying with a quick 150 pound guard to guarding the post against an undersized center. He has done what he can in these situations.

Everybody sucked against CSU. I'm not sure we should single Chen out for his performance when everybody else on the court was totally horrific too.

Chen hasn't been great the last few games. I'm fine with that. He's a hustle guy who gives productive minutes. Good guy to have on the team. The burden is on our more talented players to take his minutes, because he is not going to give them away. I love those kinds of guys. They raise the bar.

Back