What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU fans

Untrue. My neighbors daughter starts at CSU this fall and has perfect grades and is a great girl (she is our babysitter, which means...we have to find someone else now).

She is going to make a great vet!! Not a sports fan though.....lol

hush, buzzkill, no diverting from the script.

Untrue. My neighbors daughter starts at CSU this fall and has perfect grades and is a great girl (she is our babysitter, which means...we have to find someone else now).

That would be an example of one of the CSU students that didn't care about the hatred of CU before showing up on campus and then gets brainwashed into it.

Sounds like a sweet, smart girl. Let's hope she breaks the trend.

you know the rules. Pix GTFO

frams.gif

chubby-colorado-state-ram-fan.gif

And just exactly what does babysitting have to do with CSU fans? Oh, right, nevermind.

lol. CSU fans predicting Grayson can put up 35 in the RMSnoozefest. They seem to forget, or ignore, that the strength by far for CU is our secondary. I can't wait to get this game over with and enjoy my labor day weekend.

lol. CSU fans predicting Grayson can put up 35 in the RMSnoozefest. They seem to forget, or ignore, that the strength by far for CU is our secondary. I can't wait to get this game over with and enjoy my labor day weekend.

In the 85 games in the history of this series, CSU has scored 35+ three times (and lost one of them).

I know Grayson is seasoned, but I don't see it with him. He beat up on some crumby teams last season... and this year he opens the season with a brand new and unproven OLine - predicting 35 points is optimistic.

Last year Grayson was 22 of 39 (56%) for 201 yards (5.15 YPA), was sacked twice, and had three decent runs (total of 19 yards for the 5 carries).

on Offense CSU loses:

1 TE - still have 1 good TE on the roster
4 OL - replace with 2 rSO and 2 SR. Lose a bit of experience, but are not replacing using freshmen
3 RB – 1 graduated, 1 left, 1 to NFL. Replacing with true freshmen and a converted safety

Grayson will have a better rapport with his WR which should help him. The question will be can the defense disrupt that rhythm enough to cause problems. That roster shuffle does not exude fear from a defensive standpoint.

From a CSU standpoint Grayson has to have big numbers for them to win. I don’t see the ground game leading the charge. The question will be can the ground game keep our defense honest, or does their air attack keep us on our heels?

Their OL loses more than a bit of experience, they lose multiple all-MWC linemen. Grayson also hasn't performed when he hasn't had a strong run game to help him out.

CSU is losing 4 OL off a line that was together for a good period of time and coordinated well. The new group will not have that advantage. They are also losing a guy who was a fairly high NFL draft choice, I can guarantee that the guy replacing him won't be at that level.

They are also not just replacing guys on offense. They also lost their biggest playmaker on defense as well as a couple of other key guys. It is hard to imagine that their defense will be better without him. You don't replace a guy who spent that much time in the opponents backfield easily.

I wanted to look at the CSU roster a bit from their perspective. They lose the 4 OL, but they keep their LT, who has made some lists and seems to be pretty good. While they won't be able to replace their center, I am sure they feel the other 3 guys can step up. Having a solid LT is needed to have a quality passing attack, so I am sure they view this as a huge benefit. Although the new linemen don't have the game day reps, they have been in the system for 3 years, so they should have an understanding of what they are doing. With their roster, they are lined up this year to be a more pass heavy team (granted this is largely due to attrition) based on QB and WR continuity.

If they have any issues throwing the ball they will be in big trouble.

On defense they lose their entire D-line, which is probably why we hear that the linebackers are the strength of the CSU D this year. They will replace the starters with 3 JR's and a SO, which means players are familiar with what the staff is trying to do. I am not sure how many snaps the 2nd stringers got last year, but I know they were rotated in and have experience. They also lose a starting CB, and will replace him with another SR. Although they will have experience in the secondary, it is rather thin. For the first game of the year this shouldn’t be an issue.

Special teams was the one area that they beat (Whooped) CU at last year, and they only lose their long snapper. They were able to get 10 pts from the return game alone, and probably feel that is something that can be repeated.

From a historical perspective coach sparkles starts the season slow. We will see if he tries to do something new this year to jumpstart the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few trick plays, odd formations, and heavy blitz’s to try and cause some early disruption to the game.

i hate their fans and want the series permanently killed.

i also think this year's game is a toss-up. the talent differential is at an all-time low. they've got another year in their coach's system and he's a good coach.

i just want to get out of the game with a win and hopefully with the permanent end of this series in sight.

I wanted to look at the CSU roster a bit from their perspective. They lose the 4 OL, but they keep their LT, who has made some lists and seems to be pretty good. While they won't be able to replace their center, I am sure they feel the other 3 guys can step up. Having a solid LT is needed to have a quality passing attack, so I am sure they view this as a huge benefit. Although the new linemen don't have the game day reps, they have been in the system for 3 years, so they should have an understanding of what they are doing. With their roster, they are lined up this year to be a more pass heavy team (granted this is largely due to attrition) based on QB and WR continuity.

If they have any issues throwing the ball they will be in big trouble.

On defense they lose their entire D-line, which is probably why we hear that the linebackers are the strength of the CSU D this year. They will replace the starters with 3 JR's and a SO, which means players are familiar with what the staff is trying to do. I am not sure how many snaps the 2nd stringers got last year, but I know they were rotated in and have experience. They also lose a starting CB, and will replace him with another SR. Although they will have experience in the secondary, it is rather thin. For the first game of the year this shouldn’t be an issue.

Special teams was the one area that they beat (Whooped) CU at last year, and they only lose their long snapper. They were able to get 10 pts from the return game alone, and probably feel that is something that can be repeated.

From a historical perspective coach sparkles starts the season slow. We will see if he tries to do something new this year to jumpstart the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a few trick plays, odd formations, and heavy blitz’s to try and cause some early disruption to the game.

CSU played the run hard last year in a break don't bend defense. They got killed by the deep ball. They lose all of their top pash rushers including Barrett, but keep most of their secondary. If they play the same defense as last year, they might still be a little tough to run on, but big gains should still be there through the air.

Bill Connelly has a good write up on them. http://www.sbnation.com/2014/4/9/5591332/colorado-state-football-2014-preview-schedule-roster

i hate their fans and want the series permanently killed.

i also think this year's game is a toss-up. the talent differential is at an all-time low. they've got another year in their coach's system and he's a good coach.

i just want to get out of the game with a win and hopefully with the permanent end of this series in sight.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. On paper, CU is way ahead of the goats. That may not translate into a win in the game, but it's not like sparkles has been churning out top 20 recruiting classes the last three years. I think they've been ranked somewhere in the low 100's for each of his years there.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. On paper, CU is way ahead of the goats. That may not translate into a win in the game, but it's not like sparkles has been churning out top 20 recruiting classes the last three years. I think they've been ranked somewhere in the low 100's for each of his years there.

Yup, CSU has zero guys rated 5.7 or higher on rivals. Zero. No excuses.

JR makes some good points.

They also got 10 points directly off special teams and still lost by double digits.

This year our special teams should be better prepared. I wouldn't count on CSU getting the same kind of big plays in that element of the game.

The CSU D-line may also be just what the doctor ordered for our rebuilding unit. They will be undersized and lack depth in addition to lacking experience. We hopefully can do some running on them and control their pass rush, and the game.

we shall see. i really, really hope you are correct.

Some more on Grayson

QB Rating vs. Team Rushing Attempts
82Oj5Tg.png

The correlation is 42.93% so there's only a moderately weak relationship here. In the five games with the most rushing attempts since 2011 (where Grayson recorded a stat), here was his QB rating:
RankYearOpposing TeamRush AttQB RatingResult
12013Boise State56133.3L
22013at Wyoming54192.6W
32011Wyoming5184L
42013Air Force49203.2W
52013at New Mexico49197.4W
Average52162.1

Bottom five games in terms of rushing attempts:
12012North Dakota St24119.4L
22012at San Jose St24127.5L
32012at Wyoming2668L
42013at Alabama26113.6L
52013San Jose St27149.8L
Average25115.7

There's a 28.65% difference in his average QB rating between the top and bottom 5 games for rushing attempts. There is a 50.97% difference between the average rushing attempts. The big take away here is that they have not won a game when they haven't had at least 34 rushing attempts, and even then when they have exactly 34 attempts they are 1-3, which tells me that Grayson doesn't have what it takes to take the team on his shoulders and win a game.

QB Rating vs. Team Rushing Yards
NqLFKim.png

The correlation here is 62.73%, so there's a moderately strong relationship between the team's rushing yards and Grayson's QB rating.

Top 5 rushing yards:
RankYearOpposing TeamRush YardsQB RatingResult
12013at New Mexico347197.4W
22013Nevada331141W
32011Air Force321152.3L
42013at Wyoming290192.6W
52011Wyoming26384L
Average310153.2

Bottom 5 rushing yards
1at Utah St3862.4L
2at Alabama51113.6L
3North Dakota St72119.4L
4San Jose St89127.5L
5Colorado9499.7L
Average68.8104.5

There's a 31.89% difference with this one, so a good amount more of variation when compared to rushing attempts. The 0-5 record when the ground game isn't working once again makes me jump to the conclusion that Grayson doesn't have what it takes to lead his team to victory without a strong running game. In games where CSU had less than 200 rushing yards, they are 1-11 with Grayson.

QB Rating vs. Yards Per Rush
r6NYBi0.png

The correlation here is 52.84%, so a moderate relationship that is stronger than rushing attempts but weaker than rushing yards.

Top 5 Yards Per Attempt
RankYearOpposing TeamYards/AttemptQB RatingResult
12013Nevada8.9141W
22011San Diego St7.841.2L
32013UTEP7.4188.2W
42013at New Mexico7.1197.4W
52011Air Force6.6152.3L
Average7.6144

Bottom 5 Yards Per Attempt
12013at Utah St1.162.4L
22013at Alabama2113.6L
32012Colorado2.8167.3W
42012North Dakota St3119.4L
52012Utah St3.1118.5L
Average2.4116.2

There's a 19.29% difference between the yards per attempt average. The 1-4 record is telling, once again. When CSU has averaged less than 5 yards per carry CSU is 4-11.

My take: Given the record of Grayson compared to rushing attempts, total rushing yards, and yards per rush of 6-25 that Grayson has yet to prove that he can lead his team to victory without a strong running game helping him. The sample size is 24 games, so it is relatively small but it still paints a good picture.

Last edited:
Why should our special teams automatically be better?

I'll bite.

1. Special teams improved as the year went on (last year).
2. Extra year of coaching leads to better coverage discipline (I.e. staying in lanes)
3. Upper class men at punter and kicker.
4. Better overall team speed resulting in better kick coverage.

Some more on Grayson

QB Rating vs. Team Rushing Attempts
82Oj5Tg.png

The correlation is 42.93% so there's only a moderately weak relationship here. In the five games with the most rushing attempts since 2011 (where Grayson recorded a stat), here was his QB rating:
12013Boise State56133.3L
22013at Wyoming54192.6W
32011Wyoming5184L
42013Air Force49203.2W
52013at New Mexico49197.4W
Average52162.1

Bottom five games in terms of rushing attempts:
12012North Dakota St24119.4L
22012at San Jose St24127.5L
32012at Wyoming2668L
42013at Alabama26113.6L
52013San Jose St27149.8L
Average25115.7

There's a 28.65% difference in his average QB rating between the top and bottom 5 games for rushing attempts. There is a 50.97% difference between the average rushing attempts. The big take away here is that they have not won a game when they haven't had at least 34 rushing attempts, and even then when they have exactly 34 attempts they are 1-3, which tells me that Grayson doesn't have what it takes to take the team on his shoulders and win a game.

QB Rating vs. Team Rushing Yards
NqLFKim.png

The correlation here is 62.73%, so there's a moderately strong relationship between the team's rushing yards and Grayson's QB rating.

Top 5 rushing yards:
12013at New Mexico347197.4W
22013Nevada331141W
32011Air Force321152.3L
42013at Wyoming290192.6W
52011Wyoming26384L
Average310153.2

Bottom 5 rushing yards
1at Utah St3862.4L
2at Alabama51113.6L
3North Dakota St72119.4L
4San Jose St89127.5L
5Colorado9499.7L
Average68.8104.5

There's a 31.89% difference with this one, so a good amount more of variation when compared to rushing attempts. The 0-5 record when the ground game isn't working once again makes me jump to the conclusion that Grayson doesn't have what it takes to lead his team to victory without a strong running game. In games where CSU had less than 200 rushing yards, they are 1-11 with Grayson.

QB Rating vs. Yards Per Rush
r6NYBi0.png

The correlation here is 52.84%, so a moderate relationship that is stronger than rushing attempts but weaker than rushing yards.

Top 5 Yards Per Attempt
12013Nevada8.9141W
22011San Diego St7.841.2L
32013UTEP7.4188.2W
42013at New Mexico7.1197.4W
52011Air Force6.6152.3L
Average7.6144

Bottom 5 Yards Per Attempt
12013at Utah St1.162.4L
22013at Alabama2113.6L
32012Colorado2.8167.3W
42012North Dakota St3119.4L
52012Utah St3.1118.5L
Average2.4116.2

There's a 19.29% difference between the yards per attempt average. The 1-4 record is telling, once again. When CSU has averaged less than 5 yards per carry CSU is 4-11.

My take: Given the record of Grayson compared to rushing attempts, total rushing yards, and yards per rush of 6-25 that Grayson has yet to prove that he can lead his team to victory without a strong running game helping him. The sample size is 24 games, so it is relatively small but it still paints a good picture.

Wow.

Tini.... get out and try and meet some girls. This is crap bored married men do. Or guys who are nerds in college and can't score any chicks. Even at the end of the night when only the pigs are left and your beer goggles are so bad that you make a move on a 248 pounder with cold sores and wake up the next morning covered in sweat and under a pillow that feels all squishy and then as you come to you realize its the pork chop hanging off her forearm and there is not any BBQ sauce to go with it and that is ok because there is no pork chop because it is just the fat from her arm.

Gross.

Wow.

Tini.... get out and try and meet some girls. This is crap bored married men do. Or guys who are nerds in college and can't score any chicks. Even at the end of the night when only the pigs are left and your beer goggles are so bad that you make a move on a 248 pounder with cold sores and wake up the next morning covered in sweat and under a pillow that feels all squishy and then as you come to you realize its the pork chop hanging off her forearm and there is not any BBQ sauce to go with it and that is ok because there is no pork chop because it is just the fat from her arm.

Gross.

From a "friend's" experience?

Wow.

Gross.

And as you are leaving tell her your name is 4Dem.

If tini actually pulled those stats and made those charts, im gonna neg rep him.

I hope that teaches him to put poon over allbuffs.

Tini's life coach encouraged him to substantiate his opinions so that he's taken more seriously. Show the kid some kudos on this, you jaded old bastards.

Back