What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU gets major facility upgrade

I seriously doubt the Pac would allow BYU into the mix. CSU, on the other hand, would be a possibility if they could get their act together. I just don't see that happening, though. They have so far to go and are so far behind other schools. I just don't see the commitment from the alumni, the fans, the administration or the community of Ft. Collins.

I'm not bagging on CSU here, or if I am it's not because I hate them. I'm not from Colorado originally, and that so-called rivalry does little for me.

So allow me to remove myself as a CU fan, and look at this scenario. Last year, The Pac was flirting with the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and aTm for conference expansion. All major programs with huge fanbases and great facilities.

Now, I'm not saying Colorado and Utah are often mentioned in the same sentence as Texas and Oklahoma, but both (Buffs and Utes) schools brought major TV markets to the table.

CSU is a losing program in a non-BCS conference. Their TV market is already represented by CU. Their facilities seem to be regarded as substandard.

Why would the "Conference of Champions" incorporate CSU?

EDIT: Looks like Mt. beat me to it...

I'm not bagging on CSU here, or if I am it's not because I hate them. I'm not from Colorado originally, and that so-called rivalry does little for me.

So allow me to remove myself as a CU fan, and look at this scenario. Last year, The Pac was flirting with the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and aTm for conference expansion. All major programs with huge fanbases and great facilities.

Now, I'm not saying Colorado and Utah are often mentioned in the same sentence as Texas and Oklahoma, but both (Buffs and Utes) schools brought major TV markets to the table.

CSU is a losing program in a non-BCS conference. Their TV market is already represented by CU. Their facilities seem to be regarded as substandard.

Why would the "Conference of Champions" incorporate CSU?

EDIT: Looks like Mt. beat me to it...

The committment really needs to come from the CSU alumni (60,000) that live in the Denver market and reside in larger numbers than CU grads. If that happens there is no reason CSU can't be in the expansion discussion given the significant access and market share the university could offer a conference.

Last edited:
The committment really needs to come from the CSU alumni (60,000) that live in the Denver market and reside in larger numbers than CU grads. If that happens there is no reason CSU can't be in the expansion discussion given the significant access and market share the university could offer a conference.

My question is what do you see that would give any indication that this has even a remote chance of happening? CSU fans have been talking for years about building the program and support. When Sonny was the coach they reached a number top 25 rankings, had some very noteworthy wins, and were arguably the highest profile team in the country not in a high profile conference, similar to Boise, Utah, TCU recently. In all that time attendance never grew past the low 30's.

No question CSU has a core of highly dedicated fans that support the program as passionately any fans in the country. The trouble is that that core of fans is to small to support the program at a BCS level. CSU does have a big alumni base in Denver and throughout Colorado, I am one of them, I work with a lot more of them. Simply put these alums for the most part couldn't be bothered to come out for a CSU football game. They didn't when CSU was ranked, they didn't when CSU played quality teams like California, Minnesota, etc. Most of the bigger crowds have been games with substantial contingents of opposing fans like AFA, Wyo, BYU, etc.

We have heard over and over about CSU stepping up but it never happens. Instead we keep hearing about the fantasies of raiding the money pot. Sue the BCS, force the AQ conferences to "share" money, etc. Bottom line is that even the serious CSU fans know (but won't admit) that the support to justify a higher level conference simply isn't there. Instead they and the barely interested alums live for their superbowl every year, the game against CU. If they win it the mouths run nonstop until the next year and the season is a success, lose and they complain about not get money to compete.

I sometimes wonder if CSU wouldn't be way better off without the CU game where they could actually focus on promoting CSU football as an independant entity, not little brother trying to steal scraps from big brother.

CSU has a long, long ways to go to be in the discussion once expansion crops up again. That said, there is a blueprint for how to do it - Utah. Utah was second fiddle to BYU in the State of Utah since... well forever. But look who got the BCS conference invite and all the cash that will go with it? Utah invested heavily in facilities, coaches and, I assume, marketing. They branded themselves as the BCS buster. They had some advantages, most notably the city in which they reside and the fact that they got a new stadium built for the olympics.

CSU could do much the same thing. They'd need a new stadium, preferably on campus, that would hold a minimum of 55,000 fans. They'd need to regularly put 50,000+ into the stands. They'd need an extra half million or so people to populate Larimer and Weld counties. It would help if they could be competitive in some other sports beside football, too. I guess their volleyball team is pretty good. That helps their case.

It wouldn't be easy. It would be damn near impossible, in fact. It would cost a lot of money and would require a long term commitment from a lot of people who have never shown the willingness to make that kind of commitment before. BUT, it could happen.

It wouldn't be easy. It would be damn near impossible, in fact. It would cost a lot of money and would require a long term commitment from a lot of people who have never shown the willingness to make that kind of commitment before. BUT, it could happen.

This conversation may be more beneficial, and feasible if we would start debating on how to build a working flux capacitor.

CSU has a long, long ways to go to be in the discussion once expansion crops up again. That said, there is a blueprint for how to do it - Utah. Utah was second fiddle to BYU in the State of Utah since... well forever. But look who got the BCS conference invite and all the cash that will go with it? Utah invested heavily in facilities, coaches and, I assume, marketing. They branded themselves as the BCS buster. They had some advantages, most notably the city in which they reside and the fact that they got a new stadium built for the olympics.

CSU could do much the same thing. They'd need a new stadium, preferably on campus, that would hold a minimum of 55,000 fans. They'd need to regularly put 50,000+ into the stands. They'd need an extra half million or so people to populate Larimer and Weld counties. It would help if they could be competitive in some other sports beside football, too. I guess their volleyball team is pretty good. That helps their case.

Good points, but I believe the SLC Olympic funding upgraded their stadium which was a nice fringe benefit.

Last edited:
The other problem is that if CSU does all this, they're not doing it in a vacuum. Other schools like UNM, UNLV, SDSU, Boise, Kansas, UTEP, Houston and TCU all have the same set of blueprints. They're all ahead of where CSU is at this stage. CSU has some advantages over a lot of those schools, though - especially academically. For all of our denegrations of all things ewe, it's really not that bad of a school.

Good points, but I believe the SLC Olympic funding upgraded their stadium which was a nice fringe benefit.

Let's just hope the UU program doesn't display the same propensity for bribery as the SLC Olympic committee.

My brother who goes to CSU and his friends drove by the stadium to see the "renovations." Apparently they're genuinely exited about this:lol:

Hmmm that was our shared gt on xbl in high school so more than likely. Anything good?

Look at all that great parking!!!!! Let's just not talk about the nightmare it is to actually drive to the stadium. The talk about CSU getting into a BCS conference is laughable, don't even have close to enough resources to make it happen. It is what it is. Would be nice if they landscaped around the stadium though, always wondered why they prefer it to look like a barren wasteland. Could have used some of that money that they used to put in more seats that are half full :bang:

Look at all that great parking!!!!! Let's just not talk about the nightmare it is to actually drive to the stadium. The talk about CSU getting into a BCS conference is laughable, don't even have close to enough resources to make it happen. It is what it is. Would be nice if they landscaped around the stadium though, always wondered why they prefer it to look like a barren wasteland. Could have used some of that money that they used to put in more seats that are half full :bang:

the seats are half full? are all Rammies midgets?

the seats are half full? are all Rammies midgets?

no no no....

CSU planned well... each fan gets their own seat... and another seat to rest their pumpkin helmets....

(insert pic CSUHusker) :thumbsup:

they are currently jizzing themselves over this new pic
006-1.jpg

so the lot right next to the stadium is for cars, then a bit further out it is for tractors, that makes sense.

some other dip**** added he would rather watch a game at hughes over every.single.other.stadium.in.the.country.

some other dip**** added he would rather watch a game at hughes over every.single.other.stadium.in.the.country.

They play games at hughes? Do the CSewe fans know this? I thought their game(s) were played at Invesco.

that's an improvement? If i'm looking at the picture correctly i think i see a new sidewalk and grass - is there anything else?

Back