What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU hires New Mexico Assistant Craig Neal, or maybe Ernie Kent, or maybe someone else

It will be fascinating to watch for sure BB. I expect corners to be cut, rules to be bent, and debt to be accumulated. Maybe they're going to go with the Baylor model of success?

There is no gray area here. In five years, Graham with either be praised as a bold visionary or bashed as the myopic fool that dug the university a huge hole.

Still comes down to the success of McElwain (football still drives the bus). Maybe they will figure out his defensive coaching staff sucks sooner rather than later... or not.

I wasn't talking about the overall design - I was mostly talking about the clip-art people that were crudely cut out in MS Paint and pasted in.... that is hilarious

Yeah, we'll see how it looks IRL.

CSU has no problem with money though. $520million in donations which includes a brand new $70mil engineering building, $65mil renovation to student center, $50mil to rec center, etc.

I don't see that well drying up any time soon

Those were mainly for academic related expenses. As you can see with the SOStards, getting that kind of funding for athletics might be a bit harder.

Those were mainly for academic related expenses. As you can see with the SOStards, getting that kind of funding for athletics might be a bit harder.
Yes it will be tough. I doubt we'll be able to raise the full $200million needed so we may have to settle for $120mil or something. It's gonna take some big donors though. Pat Stryker, the Monforts, Jack Graham etc

Yes it will be tough. I doubt we'll be able to raise the full $200million needed so we may have to settle for $120mil or something. It's gonna take some big donors though. Pat Stryker, the Monforts, Jack Graham etc

Good luck. I rip on CSU a bit but I'd really hate to see this all backfire and you guys getting stuck in Div 2 or worse.

Are the Monforts very big donors to CSU? They didn't even go there... Plus, if they have any extra money, I hope it would be used on their MLB team not a floundering AD.

Are the Monforts very big donors to CSU? They didn't even go there... Plus, if they have any extra money, I hope it would be used on their MLB team not a floundering AD.
They are currently in the highest level of Ram Club...Idk how much they'd be willing to donate, if at all. Their son, Walker, graduated from CSU though. Wishful thinking

They are currently in the highest level of Ram Club...Idk how much they'd be willing to donate, if at all. Their son, Walker, graduated from CSU though. Wishful thinking

Where is TR going to school? :lol:

Yeah, we'll see how it looks IRL.

CSU has no problem with money though. $520million in donations which includes a brand new $70mil engineering building, $65mil renovation to student center, $50mil to rec center, etc.

I don't see that well drying up any time soon

Really? Couple that with your $200mil stadium, that's well more than than half your money. (edit source removed because I looked closer and it looked outdated) and McElwhine is gonna demand new practice facilities before he inevitably bolts for the next decent gig.

$550M is gonna go quick unless you win. Big.

Last edited:

I'm happy for CSU and all... but if you think the money spigot, just because it opened, is never going to close... well, gird your loins, is all I'm saying.

I'm not too concerned if McElwain leaves...That just means we did well, plus we put a massive buyout on his contract.

There is no gray area here. In five years, Graham with either be praised as a bold visionary or bashed as the myopic fool that dug the university a huge hole.

Still comes down to the success of McElwain (football still drives the bus). Maybe they will figure out his defensive coaching staff sucks sooner rather than later... or not.

I think that they understand that the landscape of college athletics is changing, maybe more dramatically than any other time in history. In the very near future college sports are going to be very sharply divided between those in the haves and the have nots. The haves will be in the confernces with significant media contracts and will have the money available to continue at that level. The have nots will have substantially lower funding.

CSU is currently very much a have not. This whole flurry of activity could be looked at as a last grasp and moving into the haves before being left behind. This is similar to Baylors efforts to make sure they stay in the haves instead of falling out.

In the long run I don't see any way that CSU succeeds and they will end up with some big debts to show for it but I can understand their desire not to fall.

They succeed if they get into the Big 12. That is the only measure of success they can have.

I don't see that happening however.

I'm not too concerned if McElwain leaves...That just means our practice field is too short, plus we put a massive buyout on his contract.

Small fix. Thanks for stopping by and also for engaging in a reasonable tone.

They succeed if they get into the Big 12. That is the only measure of success they can have.

I don't see that happening however.
Well if we put together a 8 win season this year and announce the stadium it's certainly plausible. The Big XII is looking for more teams and there aren't really that many good options for them left.

Well if we put together a 8 win season this year and announce the stadium it's certainly theoretically possible. The Big XII is looking for more teams and there aren't really that many good options for them left.
fify. plausible was a bit too strong.

Well if we put together a 8 win season this year and announce the stadium it's certainly plausible. The Big XII is looking for more teams and there aren't really that many good options for them left.

This is not my understanding. The big12 is very happy with the new TV, and they don't want to cut that pie any further. 10 games makes the path easier for OU and UT to get to an mNC game as well. Beyond that, I think that CSU is behind a number of other schools in that pecking order

Well who else would join instead? I may be biased but the only teams I see as stronger contenders are Louisville (committed to Big East??) and idk who after that.

Memphis, BYU are 2 that immediately come to mind

Well who else would join instead? I may be biased but the only teams I see as stronger contenders are Louisville (committed to Big East??) and idk who after that.
Your green colored glasses are filling the blank with a lot of questionable assumptions.

Memphis, BYU are 2 that immediately come to mind

I'll throw Notre Dame out there just because if they ever the BCS does die, they will have to join a conference and people will kill to have them in theirs.

Well yeah if Louisville and BYU join we're effed. This is possibly the most important football season in CSU history. Need to win 7+games IMO
And you have to get more than 18k into Hughes. Good luck with that.

Well yeah if Louisville and BYU join we're effed. This is possibly the most important football season in CSU history. Need to win 7+games IMO

Your coach better work miracles. Losing your 2 best players is going to hurt. It doesn't help that the incoming freshman class is also extremely poor. This also doesn't account for the poor defensive assistant coaches.

We will see right away if McElwhine can coach on gamedays.

Holy Crap I thought CU fans had too high of expectations. 7 wins? There are so many reasons this won't happen. The good news is that you still play in the MWC, so that should help. But still, not gonna happen.

Holy Crap I thought CU fans had too high of expectations. 7 wins? There are so many reasons this won't happen. The good news is that you still play in the MWC, so that should help. But still, not gonna happen.
7 wins is too high? Have you seen our schedule?

No Pete Thomas or Larry Kerr=a few more wins

I remember when Pete Thomas was the savior.

I'm gonna miss him.

Tini, shut up.

And you can't just brush off losing your 2 best defensive players and assume the absence of Kerr is going to fix everything. Notice we aren't exactly happy about losing our best offensive player around here.

Looking at your schedule, 7 wins seems ambitious. It looked easier 2-3 years ago, now it looks like there are no gimmes aside from UNLV and New Mexico at home.

Looking at your schedule, 7 wins seems ambitious. It looked easier 2-3 years ago, now it looks like there are no gimmes aside from UNLV and New Mexico at home.
Probably. The value of good coaching can't be undervalued though.

No one would have though Brady Hoke would turn Ball State into an 11 win team either (after one win the year before).

We'll see

Back