What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU our "Chief Rival"???

Well we've got RamNation predicting 9-10 wins next year already

They'll take a step back. They lucked out with an incredibly easy schedule. They lost to anyone with a pulse. CU would have 8 wins with that schedule

They'll take a step back. They lucked out with an incredibly easy schedule. They lost to anyone with a pulse. CU would have 8 wins with that schedule

Yeah I got a good chuckle when I saw that they had people predicting 9 or 10 wins. They also have a Heisman contender in Bibbs so he'll just carry the team on his back like he did against Utah State...whoops

Him saying this is a business decision plain and simple. At this point in time (given the stupid contract through 2020), both schools have a financial interest in making the game profitable. So it's not surprising that an employee of the AD (and arguably the employee with "biggest" media voice) is out there trying to sell this line.

As someone who loathes the game, I worry about the after 2020 implications. If some percentage of the fans buy this line, the game will be profitable for both schools, and the series will continue after the current contract ends (and maybe even continue in Denver, which would be the worst possible outcome). Basically, by promoting this line, the AD is putting itself in the position of almost having to continue after 2020 if the game is even marginally profitable.

Before this nonsense, killing the game after 2020 was a realistic option, so long as it wasn't a runaway success - even moderate success would have preserved the option of killing it. Now, the only way we get rid of the game is if it is a money loser. I get the idea of saying we're stuck with this until 2020, let's make the best of it. But there should be a way to do that would still preserve our ability to walk away when the current contract ends.

I hate to say it, but if this line becomes the standard AD line, the *only* way the series ends is if a strong majority of fans start (and continue) to boycott the game.

Here's why it's not a rivalry to me - in a real rivalry game, both teams have a chance to come out ahead by winning the game. That doesn't happen in this game. CU never comes out ahead in this rivalry - not in football, at least. If CU loses, all hell breaks loose, and if CU wins, meh, they were supposed to. Whereas CSU only has to not get blown out to have everyone giving them props.

At the same time, I can't see Utah ever being a big rival because Utah has a huge rival. BYU/Utah is the real deal. CU will never be as big a rival to Utah than BYU, nor should we. It seems to me that it will always be that way with all of the other Pac-12 schools. CU is never going to be a big deal to UA or ASU, at least not as big as each other, and UCLA will never look at CU anywhere near the way they look at $C.

I suppose we can try to pull the same card Mac pulled 30 years ago and say it's so and so and make a real rivalry grow from that, but NU was a different case than all of these other schools. As much as Nub fans liked to dismiss it, their only rival in the 80s also had two other rivals - Texass and Okie lite - and those rivalries grew in the next 20 years while the OU/NU series stagnated and died because of the Big 12. I don't see that happening with any Pac 12 rivalries. All the in-state/intra-area rivalries are never going to change.

Really, it comes down to the fact that, unless something major happens with CSU and changes their status, we're stuck without a real rival.

Marcus getting stuffed was a big one but the biggest one to me was 2001, first game at Invesco because they were going for 3 straight against us which would've been nothing short of hell on earth. CSU was talking big as in running the table before that one but we came out and won big, 42-14.

A week after the Fresno St. loss to. The lambs were a confident bunch that week.

Cal could be considered a rival.

Would work except in football. We won't play them every year since we're in different divisions. I kind of like Cal fans, though, so it would be better if it could work out that we kind of rooted for each other other than when we're playing or in a recruiting battle.

"Too soft!"

- Goldilocks

That BS was AllBuffs not Goldilocks. Here are her real quotes from the Brothers Grimm:

"...dipping her finger into the pudding left to cool. "Quite nice!" she murmured, spooning it from Baby Bear's bowl.", "Mm! Quite comfy!" she said, I bouncing on it.", Somebody has gobbled up the pudding...said papa bear" Then she jumped out of bed and fled down the stairs. FACT!

goldilocks-fancy-dress-costume-%5B2%5D-21522-p.jpg

That BS was AllBuffs not Goldilocks. Here are her real quotes from the Brothers Grimm:

"...dipping her finger into the pudding left to cool. "Quite nice!" she murmured, spooning it from Baby Bear's bowl.", "Mm! Quite comfy!" she said, I bouncing on it.", Somebody has gobbled up the pudding...said papa bear" Then she jumped out of bed and fled down the stairs. FACT!

goldilocks-fancy-dress-costume-%5B2%5D-21522-p.jpg

Flukes got finger blasted by goldie.

Semper Gumby

Rivalries are established after a pattern of meaningful games. CU knocking Utah out of the Pac-12 Championship, was a start, but the last two years the game doesn't really have much on the line. CU is going to have to become a respectable program for any rivalry to form, like Arizona and CU have formed one in basketball

Still, I'd agree with Mac. Because CU plays CSU on the first game of the year, there is a lot on the line early. A loss to CSU, likely means any shot to become bowl eligible is shot. It's still not a game with a whole lot of meaning, but it's the closest thing to a rivalry at this point.

CSU is a rival in football and basketball. Anyone who disputes that should check the post counts for football and basketball games against CSU as opposed to other opponents. Frankly, I consider it a rivalry because there is no school I enjoy beating more than CSU.

If you go by post count, our rival is...

Junction.

CSU is not a rival. A rival is

Redsox vs the Yankees
Ali vs Frazier
ManUtd vs Arsenal

Both teams have to be good to be considered a rivalry.

Coach Mac picked the Nubs because he thought they set the bar in the Big 8, we had not beaten them since the 60s and he wanted to have his team go after the best. It was an extremely one sided rivalry for a quite a while and the Nubs never gave us much thought until 86. It would be great to see MM go after the same level of rivalry in the Pac 12 South. We play every team in the South each year so pick the team you want your program to get to the level of. Who cares who the Pac 12 says our rival is, **** em. Set the Bar high by going after the traditional and historical program. Tell the team you are setting U$C as your rival. They are the premier team in the South. I know, they will not take us seriously and neither did NU at the begining. Does not matter. Tell the world that is who you are targeting each year. Tell the recruits that is who you are going to target and you will beat them.

Go ahead and hammer the idea, but set the bar where you want it and build the program and system to beat them. Setting the goal is the first step. Go about creating that environment here in Boulder and you have something tangible to build to and sell. Sell recruits on being part of the group who will make SC take CU seriously and who would like the idea of punching them in the mouth.

I am one who likes beating little brother and expects it every year. It pisses me off that it is not considered a huge upset if they happen to stay in the game let alone win it. The state wants to make them a rival, so what. We should be setting our sights higher, to be the best in our division and the entire Pac 12.

Like it or not CSU is a rival, not the rival. We'll find someone in the Pac-12 to hate. CU needs to quit regionalizing ourselves by constantly playing/comparing ourselves to CSU

Back