What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU our "Chief Rival"???

michael-scott-no.gif

This thread should be over soon. :smile2:

If CU were playing CSU on Saturday instead of Utah, there would be a bigger buzz in the media.

i for one am not comfortable with the Denver media or any media outlet picking our rival.

But I admit that CSU is more of a rival than the Utes.

The team that is most like CU is Cal. I'd be happy having a friendly rivalry with the foggy yogi hippies.
And I'd rather that the hate rivalry is reserved for a sothern conference foe like Arizona or UCLA or (puff, puff, hold exhale) USC.

The instate rivalry game can be a little provencial spitting match for those 303 kids that don't have a very broad NCAA perspective. But at the end of they day, CSU is just another OCC game that doesn't mean anything in the pursuit of a conference championship.

If CU were playing CSU on Saturday instead of Utah, there would be a bigger buzz in the media.

i for one am not comfortable with the Denver media or any media outlet picking our rival.

But I admit that CSU is more of a rival than the Utes.

The team that is most like CU is Cal. I'd be happy having a friendly rivalry with the foggy yogi hippies.
And I'd rather that the hate rivalry is reserved for a sothern conference foe like Arizona or UCLA or (puff, puff, hold exhale) USC.

The instate rivalry game can be a little provencial spitting match for those 303 kids that don't have a very broad NCAA perspective. But at the end of they day, CSU is just another OCC game that doesn't mean anything in the pursuit of a conference championship.

I do agree with this. CSU is a rival. Maybe not the rival CU fans want, but for now that's what Buff fans have. Now when CU is a seasoned Pac-12 member with hard fights won and lost over the years another more enticing rival will emerge. Actually the CSU rivalry will real if plans for a new on campus stadium at CSU come to fruition then the annual CU/CSU game can be play on campus as it should be. That would be a great game to attend.

That's a pretty narrow definition of a rivalry. Notre Dame and Navy have a rivalry, for example. It's just a different type of rivalry than their one with USC, which is a rivalry of equals.

By your definition, rivalries would all be one-sided because a better program would never lower itself to acknowledging it as a rivalry when a target is put on its back.

CSU is an in-state rivalry. Much like West Virginia vs. Marshall.

We need Utah to come up to rivalry status given the structure of the Pac-12 and timing of our annual game. West Virginia considers Pitt their rival not Marshall.

We also need one to develop with UCLA, which doesn't really have a rival outside its own state and matches us historically in terms of football prestige. Plus, that's one that can carry over to basketball like Nebraska never did.

Nik, you always make me laugh when you argue against yourself. If you think that Notre Dame circles the Navy game at the beginning of the year you are crazy - first I ever heard that Navy ND was consider a rivalry. Navy would have ND no better than 3rd on their must beat list (after Army and Air Force). A lot of rivalries are somewhat one-sided. CU circled Nebraska but Nebraska Circled Oklahoma and Oklahoma circled Texas. But name me a major rivalry where a BCS conference team pick a non-BCS school as a rival.

Beating CSU does not get me excited. It is expected. If we are going to play in the PAC-12 then we need to Circle USC - they are the 800 lb gorilla in the South.

Last edited:
Nik, you always make me laugh when you argue against yourself. If you think that Notre Dame circles the Navy game at the beginning of the year you are crazy - first I ever heard that Navy ND was consider a rivalry. Navy would have ND no better than 3rd on their must beat list (after Army and Air Force). A lot of rivalries are somewhat one-sided. CU circled Nebraska but Nebraska Circled Oklahoma and Oklahoma circled Texas. But name me a major rivalry where a BCS conference team pick a non-BCS school as a rival.

Beating CSU does not get me excited. It is expected. If we are going to play in the PAC-12 then we need to Circle USC - they are the 800 lb gorilla in the South.

I'm just saying that there are different types of rivalries.

You've got local rivalries, which are often one-sided. (WVU-Marshall)

You've got historical rivalries, which can be one-sided. (ND-Navy)

And then you've got the ones that are the real "BIG GAME" that can make a bad season somewhat of a success if you get that win. (Michigan-Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn, Army-Navy, Harvard-Yale, etc.)

CSU falls into that first category for us. Nebraska used to be in that 3rd category. Utah was in that 2nd category, but then we both made the mistake of not playing for 40 years and now have to try to get that back.

I do agree with this. CSU is a rival. Maybe not the rival CU fans want, but for now that's what Buff fans have. Now when CU is a seasoned Pac-12 member with hard fights won and lost over the years another more enticing rival will emerge. Actually the CSU rivalry will real if plans for a new on campus stadium at CSU come to fruition then the annual CU/CSU game can be play on campus as it should be. That would be a great game to attend.
Jesus ****ing Christ, see what this invites? **** off troll. No. Why isn't this ****ing cocksucker banned?

The game will still suck, because it is the CSEwe Rams... Rivalry games need to have something at stake. There is nothing to win mutton bustin.

Given that I don't live in Colorado, if CU didn't play CSU and CSU was "good" that year, would CSU fans be saying CU is dodging them? Sometimes it's a good idea to shut up little brother and put them in their place.

The Buffs problem is that it's the first game of the season, typically anyway, and it's CSU's super bowl. Nothing that 50 pt beating couldn't solve, but then again we suffered a lot of bad beats by the bugeaters and still hated them.

Just **** em up every time we play. They can be a so called bitch rival, if whoever wants to call them that, take care of them on the field.

CSU, sadly, is our chief rival now, because we don't have one! Under the three types ranking, Utah SHOULD be in the second category...tougher to win, but should beat them most years. CSU should turn into a annual spanking of them each year when MM gets the team up to speed. And I like the focus it can draw to our players, as they cannot be lackadaisical about the game in any year. So if it helps them focus, great. But CU should win that game 9 times out of 10. As far as category three, USC should be our goal. If we beat them on a closer basis, then we are always in the hunt and a bowl game should be a given. I look as CSU as being our in-state rival only...win that to shut them up for another year. Beat Utah as they are in the south and we should dominate them (and eventually UA and ASU). Then the south comes down to the games between UCLA, USC, and CU. That is how I think it should be.

CU should drop the CSU game and get into a yearly game with Nebraska.

If that could be worked out, I could deal with an annual game in Denver to start the season. Nebraska doesn't seem to want that, though... especially if the B1G starts playing a 9-game schedule. They might consider a game in Denver when they've got 5 conference home games and a game in Lincoln when they've got 4 conference home games. But they'd have the leverage on this and I doubt we'd get them to agree to an annual home/home.

**** Nebraska and **** playing them outside of the Rose Bowl

**** Nebraska
You are correct there Sir. It will be a very long time before CU and NU play in the Rose Bowl. The thing is CU has a steeper hill to climb to get there. See you in 2018 for a good game.

Back