What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU RB Alexander Leaves Team

“Donnell had a tragic event happen with his sister and what put the icing on the cake for him was that when that situation happened, he didn’t get any support from CSU. That made his decision,” Kim Alexander told The Coloradoan. “Donnell doesn’t want people to think he’s going to come and play for CSU, because he’s not. Any report that says he doesn’t have a release is wrong. I have it in my hand.”

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20140328/SPORTS0201/303280002/donnell-alexander

I'd appreciate Gasm's take on this.

Heard that Alexander's situation is pretty bad. It's kept me from caring about the football aspect of this.

Don't have any idea what the family situation is, and don't want to unless the family feels like it is important to disclose it.

That in mind it is easy for us to forget that these are 19-22 year old kids who are sometimes dealing with things that would be difficult for people at any age to face. Football can help the kids get through it but sometimes it also has to go to the back burner. Sounds like the family thinks that McElwain should have adjusted priorities a little on this one.

Hope that Alexander and his family can work through whatever the situation is.

There is a character issue here. It could be McElwain or Alexander, or both.

One thing for sure, Alexander did no favor to himself burning bridges.

[/B]And you came to that conclusion based on...?

It's pretty clear that with the family saying "He's not coming back" and openly blaming McElwain that the bridge to CSU has been burned.

Even if he has decided that he isn't coming back it could have been handled a little more smoothly. I don't know if he has transfer plans yet but if not I would imagine that prospective future schools would be contacting the CSU coaching staff for a character reference, this won't help.

It's pretty clear that with the family saying "He's not coming back" and openly blaming McElwain that the bridge to CSU has been burned.

Even if he has decided that he isn't coming back it could have been handled a little more smoothly. I don't know if he has transfer plans yet but if not I would imagine that prospective future schools would be contacting the CSU coaching staff for a character reference, this won't help.
Yes but he feels he's not getting any support after apparently a tragic incident that happened to his sister. The point is we don't know much about the situation, I just don't think you can form a educated conclusion based on the evidence that is out there. Even you are jumping to conclusions about something we have very little information about.

Yes but he feels he's not getting any support after apparently a tragic incident that happened to his sister. The point is we don't know much about the situation, I just don't think you can form a educated conclusion based on the evidence that is out there. Even you are jumping to conclusions about something we have very little information about.

We don't have information and I'm good with that, it's the family's business not ours.

What we do have is the statements in the media including those in the Ft. Collins newspaper that make it clear that he is not leaving on good terms and is unhappy with how the coaching staff is handling it.

He may or may not be justified. We don't know that but we do know that perception is a big deal. Coaches don't like having players leaving a trail of negative comments on their way out the door for the world to see.

He may be completely justified but that doesn't mean that potential future coaches won't be looking at how he left CSU and what the CSU coaches think of him.

It's the same thing leaving a job. Your boss may be a jerk and the company may be an impending disaster but you don't shred them on the way out the door. Future employers do look because they don't want to have to deal with the same thing if you don't like them.

In the emotion of the moment I don't blame a young person for his display of emotion but it can come back on him later, that's how it works regardless of the story behind it.

What if he transfers to CU?

Gasm would have a heart attack!

Good question. Would M2 be interested in him?

I don't think it's going to happen, most likely he transfers to someplace closer to home. He's from Kansas City Missouri and will have option in that area, maybe a MAC school or go FCS in the Missouri Valley Conference.

He will have some options, he simply may have added a question mark that has to be dealt with for some of those options in addition to the question presented by leaving a school where he would have been the likely starter.

What if he transfers to CU?

Is he any better than a player we have? I think Adkins is better. If Powell can stay healthy I would take him over Alexander. IMO, Alexander would probably be #3 RB and get PT, but would not be anything more than depth.

How the hell has this topic reached 5 pages? I could give 2 ****s about csu.

Is he any better than a player we have? I think Adkins is better. If Powell can stay healthy I would take him over Alexander. IMO, Alexander would probably be #3 RB and get PT, but would not be anything more than depth.

I think Sliders question related more to what would we think of him if he became a Buff based on the discussion of how he is leaving CSU.

As stated earlier he is young and facing a difficult time in his life. I tend to cut him some slack for errors in how things get handled but if he were to contact the CU coaching staff I would expect that some questions would be asked about what kind of kid he is just to make sure that he isn't a drama queen.

Did Gasm get banned, or was this just a drive-by and when he was shown to be wrong, went back to hiding?

I'd appreciate Gasm's take on this.

Not sure what is going on with the kid or the family issues that have been alluded to. I had heard that Alexander was upset about the way the CSU staff handled a medical situation with his sister last season. A new article alluded to serious legal problems for Alexander's mother. http://www.reporterherald.com/sport...-granted-release-from-colorado-state-football

Outside of Alexander and the staff I don't think anyone really knows the particulars of the situation. At the end of the day, looks like it is best for CSU and Alexander to turn the page and move on. I feel for the kid. He lost his high profile father (Derrick Thomas) at a young age and it sounds like there are a lot of other issues going on behind the scenes with him and his family. Can't do anything, but wish him the best and hope he lands on his feet somewhere and he can turn his focus to just being a college kid and competing on the field.

Last edited:
Unless your a goat alum, or fan, why is this relevant to this board? C'mon man, it's only cs ewe.

Not sure what is going on with the kid or the family issues that have been alluded to. I had heard that Alexander was upset about the way the CSU staff handled a medical situation with his sister last season. A new article alluded to serious legal problems for Alexander's mother. http://www.reporterherald.com/sport...-granted-release-from-colorado-state-football

Outside of Alexander and the staff I don't think anyone really knows the particulars of the situation. At the end of the day, looks like it is best for CSU and Alexander to turn the page and move on. I feel for the kid. He lost his high profile father (Derrick Thomas) at a young age and it sounds like there are a lot of other issues going on behind the scenes with him and his family. Can't do anything, but wish him the best and hope he lands on his feet somewhere and he can turn his focus to just being a college kid and competing on the field.

It only matters if your dad dies if he is famous, otherwise get over it.

Over 80 ****ing posts about a ****ty running back on a ****ty football team? **** this ****.

I think you missed what I had bolded in the quote : He lost his high profile father (Derrick Thomas). As well as the sarcasm... My point was I don't think it makes it more or less tragic that the kids dad died because he was famous.

I think you missed what I had bolded in the quote : He lost his high profile father (Derrick Thomas). As well as the sarcasm... My point was I don't think it makes it more or less tragic that the kids dad died because he was famous.

Gotcha

Back