What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CSU's pre-spring depth chart

Ya you guys are balling with your one game over 30k. Only 22k showed up for a #5 TCU team. And not to mention multiple other games under 20 k. FAIL

And remember that even in the heyday when Sonny's teams were nationally ranked average attendance never got over 28k. CSU has a dedicated core of solid fans but unfortunately most people affiliated with the school or in the area couldn't care less except for when they are playing CU. This is not a new phenomenon.

I also wonder what give you any indication that the team is on the way to better days on the field. CSU has a good school and an attractive campus but it is known as a bottom feeder in a mid-major league. Facilities are in the lower half of the MWC, football budget is at or near the bottom of the conference, and the current staff has consecutive three win seasons and a lack of real recruiting momentum. Even with a coaching change CSU isn't going to see a significant change. Unless the school catches lightning in a bottle like they did with Earl Bruce/Sonny Lubbick top coaching prospects aren't going to line up for that job.

Listening to CSU fans talk about how CSU is on the way to being relavent again is like listening to Dan Hawkins talk about how his teams were "ready to pop." The difference is the Hawkins is gone, CSU is still CSU.

And remember that even in the heyday when Sonny's teams were nationally ranked average attendance never got over 28k. CSU has a dedicated core of solid fans but unfortunately most people affiliated with the school or in the area couldn't care less except for when they are playing CU. This is not a new phenomenon.

I also wonder what give you any indication that the team is on the way to better days on the field. CSU has a good school and an attractive campus but it is known as a bottom feeder in a mid-major league. Facilities are in the lower half of the MWC, football budget is at or near the bottom of the conference, and the current staff has consecutive three win seasons and a lack of real recruiting momentum. Even with a coaching change CSU isn't going to see a significant change. Unless the school catches lightning in a bottle like they did with Earl Bruce/Sonny Lubbick top coaching prospects aren't going to line up for that job.

Listening to CSU fans talk about how CSU is on the way to being relavent again is like listening to Dan Hawkins talk about how his teams were "ready to pop." The difference is the Hawkins is gone, CSU is still CSU.

Look I am agreeing with you about attendance. Things are pathetic right now. Not sure why all the hostility considering its the school where you obtained your advanced degree. Your figures from the 1990's sound about right, but I haven't been able to verify. I think the last time CSU averaged over 30,000 in a season was in the 2002 and 2003 seasons when attendance hovered around 30,500, which led the stadium expansion in 2005. You can check this link from the NCAA if you want: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=9284e1804e0ba16dbafefa1ad6fc8b25

Also, I have no idea if CSU is going to improve or not. I, like most fans, am hopeful that Fairchild is up for the task. Just as I am sure many Buff fans feel the same way about Embree.

Last edited:
Ya you guys are balling with your one game over 30k. Only 22k showed up for a #5 TCU team. And not to mention multiple other games under 20 k. FAIL

I have a CSU grad facebook friend that posted his complaint on facebook saying that he was upset with his satellite provider(don't remember which) because he couldn't watch the CU CSU game on the mountain. Included in his complaint, and I **** you not was "the only CSU game I am interested in watching this year, and I can't even watch it on TV." This only reinforced what we already know about CSU fans and their one game season.

I have a CSU grad facebook friend that posted his complaint on facebook saying that he was upset with his satellite provider(don't remember which) because he couldn't watch the CU CSU game on the mountain. Included in his complaint, and I **** you not was "the only CSU game I am interested in watching this year, and I can't even watch it on TV." This only reinforced what we already know about CSU fans and their one game season.

I understand the desire to perpetuate a narrative. But seriously, using one comment as evidence of the thoughts an entire fan base? I just referenced at least two seasons above (i.e. 2002 and 2003) where CSU nearly sold out every home game. My guess, and its a wild one I know, is those people weren't walking into the stadium thinking "well I guess I will go to the game today, even though we already played the only game I care about."

Last edited:
I understand the desire to perpetuate a narrative. But seriously, using one comment as evidence of the thoughts an entire fan base? I just referenced at least two seasons above (i.e. 2002 and 2003) where CSU nearly sold out every home game. My guess, and its a wild one I know, is those people weren't walking into the stadium thinking "well I guess I will go to the game today, even though we already played the only game I care about."

You do realize that you are trying to argue the merits of your fanbase on "nearly" selling out a whole 2 seasons out of over a hundred at a stadium that has a pitiful capacity of around 25K at that time?

CJ and Klatt are talking about UNC passing CSU as the sister school of Colorado. Klatt: "UNC top bunk".

You do realize that you are trying to argue the merits of your fanbase on "nearly" selling out a whole 2 seasons out of over a hundred at a stadium that has a pitiful capacity of around 25K at that time?

Actually, I think the premise put forth by MtnBuff was that CSU fans only cared about the CU game even during the "heyday" of the Lubick years as evidenced by the attendance. Clearly, that was not the case, but if you need to keep moving the target again. Have at it.

The stadium capacity at the time was roughy 30,500 until they expanded the stadium in 2005 to add roughly 4,000 seats which brought capacity to 34,400. So yes, CSU roughly averagered a sell out for those two seasons.

Last edited:
Its decreasing as they reach back in the closet for the old Black and Gold.

I haven't worm my Iowa Hawkeye gear since growing up in Iowa. I used to love that sweatshirt. Maybe I should pull that out of of the drawer.

Seriously, talk about an incredible fan base. A large number of those people drive from hours away and from all over the state for every home game. Its a struggle to get some people to drive 45 minutes to and hour from Denver to attend college athletics in this state.

Last edited:
I think for alot of CO residents the cuteness of rooting for CSU has worn off.

And I think it is pretty clear that you have very little to offer this thread outside of petty pot shots because apparently you think it gets under my skin. So I guess I will take for what its worth.

Last edited:
And I think it is pretty clear that you have very little to offer this thread outside of petty pot shots. So I guess I will take for what its worth.

I have lived in CO all my life and I was in school when the series started back up and went to the last CU CSU game in Hughes, which was a blast, so I have it seen all. After about 1994? when CSU lost to Michigan in a bowl people in CO really started to follow CSU and it gave some that disliked CU an alternative, but I think that has all worn off when they realized at the end of the day there is only one university that has a chance to play for a national title and people in CO love a winner.

And I think it is pretty clear that you have very little to offer this thread outside of petty pot shots because apparently you think it gets under my skin. So I guess I will take for what its worth.
You are on a CU website trying to talk good about CSU.

I have lived in CO all my life and I was in school when the series started back up and went to the last CU CSU game in Hughes, which was a blast, so I have it seen all. After about 1994? when CSU lost to Michigan in a bowl people in CO really started to follow CSU and it gave some that disliked CU an alternative, but I think that has all worn off when they realized at the end of the day there is only one university that has a chance to play for a national title and people in CO love a winner.

Additional sentances don't make your posts about CSU any less petty and predictable.

And I am still waiting for any legitimate reason to believe the CSU will become more than they are right now which is a bottom feeder in a mid-major conference.

I would like to see them do well. As a fan I am sure that you would love to see them do well CsquaredCC, but I have yet to see any indication that they are going to be anything better than they are now. Even with the help of a game forced on CU to bolster their coffers every year.

And dozens of posts to defend your Rams on a Buffs message board is an excercise in futility.

Maybe so, but I enjoy the debate - I am an attorney so maybe thats it. I just hope I add something to the discussion based on some amount of logic and evidence to support my point. Its the offseason. I guess I am just bored.

Last edited:
And I am still waiting for any legitimate reason to believe the CSU will become more than they are right now which is a bottom feeder in a mid-major conference.

I would like to see them do well. As a fan I am sure that you would love to see them do well CsquaredCC, but I have yet to see any indication that they are going to be anything better than they are now. Even with the help of a game forced on CU to bolster their coffers every year.

I don't know that there are indications at this point. Its hard to find them when you have back to back 3 win seasons. I think there is hope that fans have seen CSU climb to the top of the conference before so they know it can be done there.

As I said I would be fine with an end to the series. But thats why I want to see the contract between CU and CSU. If CU wanted to unilaterally end a ten year deal two years into it, I would have to imagine there would be a termination penalty of around $2-3 million depending on how the agreement was structured. If I were CSU I would absolutely let CU walk, hold CU to its obligations and bank the cash.

Last edited:
Couple problems with that...
1. CU doesn't have the money for that
2. Not gonna happen. CSU is gonna have to get their asses kicked for 8 more years.

Couple problems with that...
1. CU doesn't have the money for that
2. Not gonna happen. CSU is gonna have to get their asses kicked for 8 more years.

And until CU gets motivated enough for the game to make up the total sell-out that CSU makes to win this game enough of the games are going to be close enough to give the CSU fans hope. As long as they have hope the politicians are not likely to let it end without a fight.

Solution is for CU to go out and just kill CSU 3-5 years in a row and take the interest out of CSU fans and take the hope away from the players and coaches. At that point CSU would be glad to let the game go. Not likely to happen though because for CU the game is a part of the season, for CSU the game is the season. The emotional edge that CSU has will keep enough of the games closer than they should be to keep the series going. Plus CSU doesn't want to give up the extra $400,000 dollars they make over what they would get playing somebody else OOC.

As I said I would be fine with an end to the series. But thats why I want to see the contract between CU and CSU. If CU wanted to unilaterally end a ten year deal two years into it, I would have to imagine there would be a termination penalty of around $2-3 million depending on how the agreement was structured. If I were CSU I would absolutely let CU walk, hold CU to its obligations and bank the cash.

Isn't $2-3 million more than your payout from the Mountain West?

Back