What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU 2022-23 Roster - How to finish the class?

What position should we target?

• Point Guard

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Shooting Guard

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Wing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Forward

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Center

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
We have 12/13 roster spots filled. We can take 1 more. We can take 2 more if Jabari goes pro. There's also the possibility of attrition opening up a spot.

What's your #1 priority for the current open spot?

Would you prefer a Prep or a JUCO/Transfer?

Table 1
2022-23 RosterClassPositionHeight247 Composite
Keeshawn BarthelemyJunior (RS)Guard6’2”3* - 0.9158
Nique CliffordJuniorWing6’6”4* - 0.9520
Tristan da SilvaJuniorForward6’9”unrated
Luke O’BrienJuniorWing6’8”3* - 0.8678
Jabari WalkerJuniorForward6’9”3* - 0.9183
Julian HammondSophomoreGuard6’3”3* - 0.8731
Lawson LoveringSophomoreCenter7’1”4* - 0.9765
KJ SimpsonSophomoreGuard6’2”4* - 0.9656
Quincy AllenFreshman (RS)Wing6’8”4* - 0.9643
Javon RuffinFreshman (RS)Guard6’5”3* - 0.8867
Joe HurlburtFreshmanCenter6’10”3* - 0.9350
RJ SmithFreshmanGuard6’4”unrated

Last edited:
want two votes. right now point guard. when bari leaves, forward. but we need a forward more than a pg if that makes sense due to departing production
Yeah. If we're replacing both Evan and Jabari then that's a ton of production.

Ideally, TDS continues to commit to the weight room and we see another 20 lbs of muscle on him for next year so he can slide to the 4. That may actually be the key to next season - that he gets his body to where Dufault did as an upperclassman.

I'd prefer a 1-2 year rental at power forward to bridge the gap between Battey/Jabari and Lovering/Hurlburt.
We are going to be hurting for rebounding badly if Jabari leaves and I don't think that O'Brien is big enough to do it effectively next year.
Quincy Allen is a bit of a wild card here. If he can fill that role then I'd like to take a young point guard.

Is it possible that Elijah Parquet returns for one more season? I believ that he would be eligible to due to the exemptions for COVID seasons.

Don't know if he would or not.

Obviously, if Jabari leaves it will be critical to find someone that can "replace" him.

Is it possible that Elijah Parquet returns for one more season? I believ that he would be eligible to due to the exemptions for COVID seasons.

Obviously, if Jabari leaves it will be critical to find someone that can "replace" him.
Guys like Jabari are rare, you don't just replace a guy who is 6'9"-6'10" who has skills that can just dominate and create impact.

My hope is that Quincy Allen can become our offensive impact player, our guy who can make things happen offensively.

Hard to imagine the team without Evan and Jabari. We need an experienced 1 year rental while Quincy and Joel develop. Perhaps a talented forward on a bad team needing to showcase his skills. They are out there.

Not happening, and shouldn't even be considered.

You go get 1 or 2 transfer Forwards. END OF STORY.

- 6-7 to 6-10 range, with some length
- We'll have 5 Guards on the roster (plus Nique) who can bring the ball up the court and odds are at least one of them differentiates themself from the pack before next season starts
- Lovering and Hurlburt will both likely be raw and lean next year and will need help both on the court and from a mentoring standpoint
- Tristan can bang down low if really needed, but that's not necessarily ideal for his game.
- LOB can do it, but he'll be a role player (and likely a good one) for the next 3 years, not a starter.

In a perfect world Jabari stays, we pick up a 6-9 PF who is a 12/5/2 type of transfer from a legit program, Allen comes back healthy and is the real deal, and the Frosh take that 2 year leap right on schedule (especially Lovering)

That's a 24 win team right there, people.

Even if he could, I have to say his play this year was...underwhelming. If I were Tad I'd have the same convo I had with Schwartz and Walton.

I actually think we need a sharpshooter at SG. I'd look for a grad transfer who can come in with a green light and see if he can knock down some 3s in 10-15 minutes of action.

I actually think we need a sharpshooter at SG. I'd look for a grad transfer who can come in with a green light and see if he can knock down some 3s in 10-15 minutes of action.
This would be my 2nd pick. But, does Allen help here though? With his addition and another offseason of work for Kee, Nique, KJ and TDS we actually could be okay. Just my take. I worry more about absolutely getting destroyed on the boards without Walker and Evan.

How about Walker just stays. Cool? Cool. (y)

The biggest thing that will impact this is who leaves. There were only like 3 programs that retained all players who hadn’t graduated or left for NBA last year, UCLA, Michigan and Bama I think. So does a Ruffin leave after seeing Niques emergence and with RJ coming in. I’d absolutely hate it but would O’Brien look for more minutes elsewhere. You never know these days. If that’s the case we need guard (love the gunner idea from Nik) depth in addition to an experienced big if Bari leaves. I feel like in Tads era we’ve been a player staying away from having that truly elite season between Spencer, Dre, and Bey. Is this the year we get lucky with Bari? I’m not optimistic but one can dream right. Wondering if Jabari’s 3 point dip helps at all on this front. He’s also young for his grade only 19 which can make him more appealing coupled with him being a late bloomer to the NBA. This is a down year draft wise too which could make more people declare because outside the top 4 it’s wide open.

Food for thought: Tad's probably going to have choose between KJ and Kee. One way or another, there will be at least one more spot opening up other than Jabari's. There's always a surprise.

Have trouble seeing Tad sign a 2 if the recruit is only a designated shooter. You'll see a lot of Kee and KJ on the floor together, unless Allen forces his way onto the floor. Nique's D and rebounding kind of guarantees he's on the floor for starters minutes regardless of whether he's a 2 or 3.
I worry more about absolutely getting destroyed on the boards without Walker and Evan.

Think it's safe to say this aligns with what Tad will worry most about. It'd be nice if TDS can increase his boards enough to play 4 since I think he's a good fit in the high post and the pick n pop. His ballhandling and passing would stack up a lot better with slower/bigger players guarding him. That said, I can't see the other starting big being Lovering/Hurlburt. Needs to be someone more physically ready next year.

Food for thought: Tad's probably going to have choose between KJ and Kee. One way or another, there will be at least one more spot opening up other than Jabari's. There's always a surprise.
You're not wrong on the surprise front. I still mourn Fletcher's transfer. I think there's a world where Kee plays a lot of 2 and does fine. But you're right in that if Kee says he's strictly a PG, I think he'd leave. I'm not sure how that convo goes with KJ, but I can't imagine staff letting him walk.

You're not wrong on the surprise front. I still mourn Fletcher's transfer. I think there's a world where Kee plays a lot of 2 and does fine. But you're right in that if Kee says he's strictly a PG, I think he'd leave. I'm not sure how that convo goes with KJ, but I can't imagine staff letting him walk.
I think most of us would choose KJ over Kee if forced to do that. Would be alright with not having to make that choice, but they seem too similar to survive if Nique or someone else really demands minutes as a guard with the ball in his hands.

You think so? I feel like our most potent lineup is with KJ at the 1 and Kee hitting shots at the 2. I think there is a bit of a log jam behind them in Hammond, Ruffin, and Smith. I feel like the attrition will come next year from that group. Maybe Hammond moves on as he's clearly behind KJ and Kee but he has been getting a lot of playing time this year. I'd assume these guys will bet on themselves until proven wrong.

You think so? I feel like our most potent lineup is with KJ at the 1 and Kee hitting shots at the 2. I think there is a bit of a log jam behind them in Hammond, Ruffin, and Smith. I feel like the attrition will come next year from that group. Maybe Hammond moves on as he's clearly behind KJ and Kee but he has been getting a lot of playing time this year. I'd assume these guys will bet on themselves until proven wrong.
someone needs to see what kenpom says about this lineup. I don't think it's going to be great defensively.

I think most of us would choose KJ over Kee if forced to do that. Would be alright with not having to make that choice, but they seem too similar to survive if Nique or someone else really demands minutes as a guard with the ball in his hands.
I haven't seen anything suggesting Nique would demand it, but I'll admit to being naive in some of my presumptions. I think if Allen forces his way onto the court, or TDS cements the 3, then it really will be a pinch for Kee and KJ. Because in that case Nique's a lock at 2. I just can't imagine Tad taking Nique's D and rebounding off the floor.

We're seeing a lot of it currently since we have no front court depth and can't shift Clifford to a guard spot very often. It is definitely a lineup that would get abused by a big dominant guard but we haven't come across many of those lately.

More to the point about transferring: nothing I've seen so far this year makes me think there aren't enough minutes to go around for KJ and Kee.

I haven't seen anything suggesting Nique would demand it, but I'll admit to being naive in some of my presumptions. I think if Allen forces his way onto the court, or TDS cements the 3, then it really will be a pinch for Kee and KJ. Because in that case Nique's a lock at 2. I just can't imagine Tad taking Nique's D and rebounding off the floor.
Clifford is not a 2. Never was, never will be. His perfect position on this team is 3. He can play the wing and is trusted to shoot 3s, but can also float inside to create shots and crash the glass. It's the exact role King and Schwartz played when they weren't forced into hybrid 2s or 4s on occassion.

Our lineup next year is DEEP and probably fleshes out this way:
G: KJ, Hammond
G: Kee, Hammond, Ruffin, Smith
Swing: Clifford, Allen
F1: Jabari or Transfer, LOB, Hurlburt
F2: DaSilva, Transfer, Lovering

Clifford is not a 2. Never was, never will be. His perfect position on this team is 3. He can play the wing and is trusted to shoot 3s, but can also float inside to create shots and crash the glass. It's the exact role King and Schwartz played when they weren't forced into hybrid 2s or 4s on occassion.

WHEN Jabari stays, this is a damn good team, honestly, one of the most athletic and high ceiling teams we have ever had, but.......will we have the leadership and togetherness to have a magical season. Maybe Evan can immediately become a graduate coach

The other consideration for taking grad transfers for the remaining 1-2 spots is so you can turn them around and have open spots for the class of 2023. Just the in-state include Diop, Fall, Ngondo, Booth, Betts... The list goes on & on and that is just in-state recruits. If Jabari leaves and they use the 'ship on a HS player, they'll not have any openings unless a current player leaves.

I agree on Nique. Nique needs to be in the Carlon/Chen/X/Schwartz role. And we need to run.

Back