What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU #5 in Pac 12 and #32 in the World

I'll second that. As an engineering major, I spent 95% of my time on campus on the less fun east side of campus. As a plus, I could see first hand that physics, engineering, and business were absolutelly top notch. As a minus, the only females I got to interact with on weekdays were the same 8 asian girls. And I was usually working on Friday afternoon while everyone else was on a 6 hr bender at La Iguana's.

Doesn't sound too bad.....

I'll second that. As an engineering major, I spent 95% of my time on campus on the less fun east side of campus. As a plus, I could see first hand that physics, engineering, and business were absolutelly top notch. As a minus, the only females I got to interact with on weekdays were the same 8 asian girls. And I was usually working on Friday afternoon while everyone else was on a 6 hr bender at La Iguana's.

Thirded... I spent years of my life in those horrendous engineering buildings. Really thought that the engineering programs were top notch (except for maybe where the CS degree was concerned... some of those classes seemed to lag behind the technology a bit). I know that the Aerospace program is one of the top (making some **** up here) three in the country and I was told that MIT based their EM program on ours. Judging by the difficulty of that class, I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

I think Buffnik nailed it when he said the rankings are heavily based on graduate engineering and scientific research programs. That said, any list that puts ASU in the top 100 schools in the world is ****ed. I'm not sure it's a top 100 school in the western United States.

I'm very proud of CU, but I think alumni should realize a lot of the accolades it receives are for graduate programs - some of which aren't even on the Boulder campus - that have little to do with our undergraduate degrees.

I remember as a freshman I had a prof from India teaching macroeconomics. For the first couple weeks of class, he kept saying "per chase" in his heavy accent and I didn't know wtf he was talking about. Eventually, I got through the accent and realized that he pronounced "purchase" with a hard 'a'. Between the language difficulty and me having that class at 8am fresh off a wake 'n bake, it's amazing I passed.

The first, and I hope the last, time I've ever heard anyone complain about a hard 'a.' Especially surprising from you, Nik.

(btw, times have changed, we used to call that a long a - completely different ambiguities, too!)

I'm very proud of CU, but I think alumni should realize a lot of the accolades it receives are for graduate programs - some of which aren't even on the Boulder campus - that have little to do with our undergraduate degrees.

all true, and it's an important distinction to make. but, it's also true for other schools. my opinion is a FR class with 200 people in it is pretty much the same wherever you go. whether that's Michigan or Texas State.

you wanna see a wacky, counter-prevailing thought list of U rankings....check out Forbes sometime. Duke is in the 130's or something. it's far out.

all true, and it's an important distinction to make. but, it's also true for other schools. my opinion is a FR class with 200 people in it is pretty much the same wherever you go. whether that's Michigan or Texas State.

you wanna see a wacky, counter-prevailing thought list of U rankings....check out Forbes sometime. Duke is in the 130's or something. it's far out.

I'm going to challenge you on the Texas St one. My brother went there and he said it was a complete joke. He eventually transfered to Texas Tech which he said was much harder.

I'm going to challenge you on the Texas St one. My brother went there and he said it was a complete joke. He eventually transfered to Texas Tech which he said was much harder.

OK. just the first name that popped in my head. may have overstated for "effect".

OK. just the first name that popped in my head. may have overstated for "effect".
I don't know...you're generally right from an undergrad perspective. Might not be a shocker, but I had a friend that went to school in Pueblo his first two years on an athletic scholarship (good student) before tranferring to Fort Collins. He said Fort Collins was like taking remedial classes in comparison to Pueblo (which kinda suprised me).

For State schools, the curriculum is usually pretty similar from place to place. Just depends on the quality of your professor (or TA) and their expectations.

Back