What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Announces Satellite Camps

I've never been to New Orleans so probably not. I just started sweating thinking about it.

I was in New Orleans in August about a decade ago. It was 110 with 90% hummidity. It was the most awful thing I had ever experienced. Miami, for the record, rarely gets about the high 90s due to the ocean breeze.

Dude. I went to High School down there. Practices were held in awful conditions in the summer the season started. FHSAA opens practices around Aug 1. Back then you were'nt allowed to get water at some schools too. Ive been to night games in September where it was still 80+ degrees and 90% humidity. Those kids are used to playing in those conditions.

Sweeting is a way of life for Floridians. Thats why I moved away :D
Such a big reason to get kids from the South up to Boulder during the summer. Like that one article mentioned, referring to Huntley and Julmisse, Colorado's 95 degrees feels like 75 to those kids.

Such a big reason to get kids from the South up to Boulder during the summer. Like that one article mentioned, referring to Huntley and Julmisse, Colorado's 95 degrees feels like 75 to those kids.

I agree that should be a selling point. But, see below

On Campus camps are tough for CU given our distance from major recruiting hot beds and the fact that we can't pay or assist for them to attend. I just don't see how to make it much bigger/better going forward. You've got to go to the kids, they can't come to us.

There are just some kids that cant afford to go to a CU camp. The great thing about the sattelite camp is that allows us to get someone like Chev or Leavitt directly in contact with kids to identify someone that might 2-3 years down the road available to us as well as the ones available for next class. Plant some nice seeds. Let the kids know there are schools out there beyond SECland.

Dude. I went to High School down there. Practices were held in awful conditions in the summer before the season started. FHSAA opens practices around Aug 1. Back then you were'nt allowed to get water at some schools too. Ive been to night games in September where it was still 80+ degrees and 90% humidity. Those kids are used to playing in those conditions.

@FlaBuff could give you a lot of insight on this since he played and coached football down there.

Sweating is a way of life for Floridians. Thats why I moved away :D
Yeah I used to live in Tampa for a while and still visit family in Cape Coral for vacation a ton. Trust me I know how hot it is haha.

I agree that should be a selling point. But, see below

There are just some kids that cant afford to go to a CU camp. The great thing about the sattelite camp is that allows us to get someone like Chev or Leavitt directly in contact with kids to identify someone that might 2-3 years down the road available to us as well as the ones available for next class. Plant some nice seeds. Let the kids know there are schools out there beyond SECland.
Oh, I agree; I was just saying in general, it's big for this program to get the kids from FL, GA, LA and TX to just come visit and get them to realize they don't have to suffer in that awful weather any longer. That selling point doesn't quite stick the same with the CA kids.

I was in New Orleans in August about a decade ago. It was 110 with 90% hummidity. It was the most awful thing I had ever experienced. Miami, for the record, rarely gets about the high 90s due to the ocean breeze.

I looked up the all time record for New Orleans and it was only 104 F.

:cautious:

Oh, I agree; I was just saying in general, it's big for this program to get the kids from FL, GA, LA and TX to just come visit and get them to realize they don't have to suffer in that awful weather any longer. That selling point doesn't quite stick the same with the CA kids.
Yep playing in Texas wasn't exactly pleasant. Then lift after and those ****ers would turn the heaters on. You'd get arrested for that now but it did make us tougher.

There are just a few kids (in the demographics we are recruiting) that can afford to go to a CU camp.

FIFY

Now that I'm thinking about it, would love the NCAA to approve each kid to be able to take his official visits (and thus paid for) over the summer, and make it a camp experience.

No conflict with school or football season.

Why not allow a kid to narrow his choices and then go to a camp and actually be coached by the staff that he is committing to for 4-5 years? It's a big damn decision!

I played in Arizona and I can vouch that we'd get pretty much every kid we wanted to visit from that sun scorched hell-hole.

I looked up the all time record for New Orleans and it was only 104 F.

:cautious:

:mad::mad::mad:

Damn you! it was MFing hot. Memory + Age + Alcohol. Forgive me.

Edit: I think were both wrong. The all-time hottest temperature ever recorded in New Orleans is 102 degrees which occurred on August 22, 1980. The hottest temperature ever recorded in the state of Louisiana is 114 degrees, which occurred on August 10, 1936 in Plain Dealing.

https://new-orleans-la.knoji.com/10-alltime-hottest-weather-temperature-days-in-new-orleans/

Pffft. I've been to Death Valley when it hit 121. I mowed lawns all day in Vegas when it was 116. But I admit, I've never felt anything like Florida when it's 95. Or Tulsa when it's close to 100.

New Orleans is a special kind of hot. The wind blows a bit in Florida. The air in Louisiana is stagnate. Heavy, wet, hot air. Brutal.

But kind of fun if you're drinking your head off on Bourbon St.

New Orleans is a special kind of hot. The wind blows a bit in Florida. The air in Louisiana is stagnate. Heavy, wet, hot air. Brutal.

But kind of fun if you're drinking your head off on Bourbon St.

That sollution worked for us. Those shops with the slurpee machines full of daquri or pina colada or rum runner were a god send. MFer was hot that day.

Pffft. I've been to Death Valley when it hit 121. I mowed lawns all day in Vegas when it was 116. But I admit, I've never felt anything like Florida when it's 95. Or Tulsa when it's close to 100.

Come to WV in the summer! The humidity never leaves the 90s. It's hard to breathe in that stuff. Definitely right on the Florida heat. Used to spend my summers in Orlando with Grandma and aunts. It would rain for an hour and be dry in 20 minutes.

Nope. Salt tablets were a real thing back in the day to replace sodium you sweated out was what the coach said.

Or maybe Moses brought them down from the mount.

Last edited:
Nope. Salt tablets were a real thing back in the day to replace sodium you sweated out was what the coach said.

Or maybe Moses brought them down from the mount.
I think they were replaced by Gatorade.

I think they were replaced by Gatorade.

tumblr_mcfh7zkJ5L1rtmmaxo1_400.gif

Back