What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: CU at the NFL Draft

RSSBot

News Junkie

CU at the NFL Draft

Isaiah Oliver’s dream of playing in the NFL about to become a reality

From the Daily Camera … For Isaiah Oliver, the dream of playing in the National Football League was born not long after he was in the fall of 1996.

“I would say it started immediately, right when I really started playing football, when I was 5 or 6 years old,” Oliver, 21, said this week. “I always had dreams of playing in the NFL; watching the games on TV, going to some games. It was something I knew I wanted to do and I was going to work for it.”

The dream is nearing reality, as the former Colorado cornerback awaits the upcoming NFL draft, which takes places Thursday-Saturday.

Oliver and several other Buffaloes have spent months training for the draft.

… Being around that much talent pushed Oliver, but it was the opportunity to work with CU head coach Mike MacIntyre — a respected defensive backs coach – that really furthered his development.

“I can’t really put it into words, to be honest,” he said when asked how much MacIntyre helped him develop as a cornerback. “A lot of what I was able to learn in terms of my technique and really playing the corner position came from him over these last three years. It was big for me. It’s one of the biggest reasons I’m in the position I am now.”

Continue reading story here

CU not “DBU” … but the Buffs are not far off

Below is a list of the schools which have had the most defensive backs drafted in Common Draft Era (since 1967, when the NFL and AFL began taking steps towards their merger in 1970):

58- Ohio State

54- USC

50- Notre Dame

49- Nebraska

47- Colorado, Miami

46- Oklahoma, Texas

44- Florida State

Colorado at No. 22 on the all-time list of NFL draftees

CU’s place on the all-time draftees will be in jeopardy this week. Colorado has had 270 players drafted into the NFL, with only one or two being added to the list in 2018. Auburn, which has had 269 players drafted, is right behind Colorado, and has a half dozen or so draft prospects this spring (Arkansas and Minnesota do not appear to be poised to jump the Buffs, as those schools do not have a deep list of prospects for the 2018 draft):

No. 20 – Pittsburgh … 278

No. 21 – Wisconsin … 273

No. 22 – Colorado … 270

No. 23 – Auburn … 269

No. 25 – Arkansas … 266

No. 26 – Minnesota … 265

If Isaiah Oliver is taken in the first round …

… he will become the 25th Buff to be so honored.

Colorado has had 24 first round draft picks in its history, tied with Washington and Arizona State for fifth in the Pac-12. Oregon State, with the fewest, celebrated just its sixth first round pick in 2014 with Brandin Cooks.

Washington State broke the longest Pac-12 drought without a first round pick, dating back to 2003, when Deone Bucannon went to Arizona with the 27th pick in 2015. The longest drought without a first round pick now belongs to Arizona, which last had a first round pick in 2008.

The Pac-12 conference and the first round of the NFL draft (rank nationally, number of all-time first round picks, and each school’s most recent first round picks):

No. 1 – USC – 80 … Most recent: 2017 – Adoree Jackson, CB, 17th pick, Tennessee

No. 16 – UCLA – 34 … Most recent: 2017 – Takkarist McKinley, DE, 26th pick, Atlanta

No. 22 – California – 27 … Most recent: 2016 – Jared Goff, QB, 1st pick, Los Angeles Rams

No. 23 – Stanford – 25 … Most recent: 2017 – Solomon Thomas, DT, 3rd pick, San Francisco 49ers; Christian McCaffrey, RB, 8th pick, Carolina Panthers

No. 24t – Colorado – 24 … Most recent: 2011 – Nate Solder, OT, 17th pick, New England; and Jimmy Smith, CB, 27th pick, Baltimore

No. 24t – Washington – 24 … Most recent: 2017 – John Ross, WR, 9th pick, Washington

No. 24t – Arizona State – 24 … Most recent: 2015 – Damarious Randall, 30th pick, S, Green Bay

No. 39 – Oregon – 18 … Most recent: 2016 – DeForest Buckner, DE, 7th pick, San Francisco

No. 46t – Washington State – 13 … Most recent: 2014 – Deone Bucannon, S, 27th pick, Arizona

No. 54t – Arizona – 10 … Most recent: 2008 – Antoine Cason, CB, 27th pick, San Diego

No. 59 – Utah – 8 … Most recent: 2017 – Garrett Bolles, OT, 20th pick, Denver

No. 66t – Oregon State – 6 … Most recent: 2014 – Brandin Cooks, WR, 20th pick, New Orleans

(And, in case you are wondering … No. 68t – Colorado State – 5 … Most recent: 1987 – Kelly Stouffer, QB, 6th pick, St. Louis)

—–

Stuart
Continue reading...

Back