What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU@Game CU At The Game: Dave Plati – On The Resignations of McCartney and Neuheisel

RSSBot

News Junkie
CU's Associate Athletic Director / Media Relations Director Dave Plati talks about two of the most surprising coaching changes in CU history - Bill McCartney's surprise retirement announcement in 1994; Rick Neuheisel leaving CU for Washington in 1998 ...

Stuart
Continue reading...

This is really interesting stuff. Tharp comes out of it looking even worse to me. I wasn't sure that was possible.

Tharp had a habit of disappearing at the exact moment he needed to be doing something.

Tharp had a habit of disappearing at the exact moment he needed to be doing something.
Do you remember how they justified hiring him in the first place? I suppose that the idea was that the AD job was moving away from something a former coach would do and had become a job that was about business and contracts. But why would you hire a local attorney who had worked as part of CU counsel before entering private practice? I don't see how the dots connect to an endpoint where anyone would have thought that Tharp was the best candidate for the job they could possibly land. It's bizarre to me.

Do you remember how they justified hiring him in the first place? I suppose that the idea was that the AD job was moving away from something a former coach would do and had become a job that was about business and contracts. But why would you hire a local attorney who had worked as part of CU counsel before entering private practice? I don't see how the dots connect to an endpoint where anyone would have thought that Tharp was the best candidate for the job they could possibly land. It's bizarre to me.
Tharp was part of the good old boy network at CU. There’s still some of that around, although it’s been diminished significantly . (The subject of this thread is part of that group, too). Tharp got the job because he was tight with the school leadership, and they reverse engineered a justification for his hiring. Hindsight is always 20/20, but it’s pretty clear at this point he was a horrible choice.

Back