What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU at UCLA Pre-Pregame thread

Rosen is the best QB CU has seen so far. We have to find ways in putting him into situations he doesn't want to be in, otherwise he will shred us to death. Can we stop their run game?

Our inability to put pressure on the passer will kill us. As good as our DB's can be, they can't cover guys for 5 seconds.

Here's to hopin' that CU pulls the trick out of the bag against UCLA.
UCLA is not perfect, they have proven they can shoot themselves in the foot, and CU has proven they can play spoiler
when they execute.

Here's to hoping that Mac has them ready.

It seems like we are due for a game with few mistakes and a little luck.
Ummm, I think that is similar to what played out Saturday against Oregon State. Didn't make many mistakes and had some luck of facing a ****ty team. I think the Buffs need to score about 40 to have a shot. Lindgren has not shown the nuts to do that yet.

The players never gave up. Now whether MM did against UO with 7 left or he did against UA when trying to protect the lead are two different things in my mind. He turtled against OSU as well, but they couldn't capitalize. The players though? I see them busting their asses for a W.

We think we are snake bit around here with the injury bug...

UCLA has had some really really bad luck.

Ummm, I think that is similar to what played out Saturday against Oregon State. Didn't make many mistakes and had some luck of facing a ****ty team. I think the Buffs need to score about 40 to have a shot. Lindgren has not shown the nuts to do that yet.

This. The players are engaged and haven't shown any quit. Now ask me about our coaches and their play calling/game management in critical situations. Farking repulsive and unacceptable.

We likely get smashed by UCLA, but I'm hoping for the best. Maybe they'll be a little generous in coughing up the ball. Maybe we convert in the red zone a little better than usual (including a fluke play or so). Maybe they take us lightly (which has sadly been our best chance to win against better opponents).

I've noticed that we tend to play up/down to our competition a bit.

Here's to hoping we come out punching and not playing conservatively.

We likely get smashed by UCLA, but I'm hoping for the best. Maybe they'll be a little generous in coughing up the ball. Maybe we convert in the red zone a little better than usual (including a fluke play or so). Maybe they take us lightly (which has sadly been our best chance to win against better opponents).

Entering the OSU game CU was 9 for 9 on redzone opportunities. Pretty sure that 100% conversion rate is still true.

Entering the OSU game CU was 9 for 9 on redzone opportunities. Pretty sure that 100% conversion rate is still true.

See my stats thread. CU has not been good in the red zone this year. We've had turnovers (including on downs), missed FGs and haven't gotten TDs at a high enough rate.

We think we are snake bit around here with the injury bug...

UCLA has had some really really bad luck.
I'm thinking their 4 and 5* will help them out, unlike our sorry ass. Just crying for fUCLA. I know that wasn't your point but we will take any help we can get.

putting aside the back and forth for a moment, i would like to address how we might be able to win against fucla.

firstly, i believe this might be the worst mismatch on our schedule, talent-wise, and that says a lot. usc and stanford have a lot of guys too, of course, but i think ucla looks physically loaded. they have had a lot of injuries, but their 2s and 3s are really good athletes.

so, how do we win? i think we've got to try to get this thing turned into an ugly game. slow it down. slug it out. sefo isn't going to win this game for us. we need to eat clock and dirty it up so that they play down to our level. run, run, run. don't turn it over. keep their offense off the field as much as possible. we're going to need a defensive masterpiece game and probably a score from the D to win. on offense, i'd try hard to keep pounding and pounding and then hope i could pull out some trickery when they aren't expecting it.

we aren't going to score 40 in this game. there is no way. i'd dance a happy dance with 17-13 win or something like that.

facts suggest we're going to get mud-holed in the worst possible fashion. but, it is still college ball and with a few breaks we have a puncher's chance. it would be the biggest win in mm's career of course.

putting aside the back and forth for a moment, i would like to address how we might be able to win against fucla.

firstly, i believe this might be the worst mismatch on our schedule, talent-wise, and that says a lot. usc and stanford have a lot of guys too, of course, but i think ucla looks physically loaded. they have had a lot of injuries, but their 2s and 3s are really good athletes.

so, how do we win? i think we've got to try to get this thing turned into an ugly game. slow it down. slug it out. sefo isn't going to win this game for us. we need to eat clock and dirty it up so that they play down to our level. run, run, run. don't turn it over. keep their offense off the field as much as possible. we're going to need a defensive masterpiece game and probably a score from the D to win. on offense, i'd try hard to keep pounding and pounding and then hope i could pull out some trickery when they aren't expecting it.

we aren't going to score 40 in this game. there is no way. i'd dance a happy dance with 17-13 win or something like that.

facts suggest we're going to get mud-holed in the worst possible fashion. but, it is still college ball and with a few breaks we have a puncher's chance. it would be the biggest win in mm's career of course.

Yep.

Need to force Rosen into 3rd & longs and then confuse him with coverage schemes. Leavitt should be able to dial some stuff up with that considering the veteran secondary we have. We won't be in this one if we can't win the turnover battle.

No penalties, 3 yards and a cloud of dust! Wins the game.
We slow the game down, keep them off the field

Yep.

Need to force Rosen into 3rd & longs and then confuse him with coverage schemes. Leavitt should be able to dial some stuff up with that considering the veteran secondary we have. We won't be in this one if we can't win the turnover battle.

if we turn it over, we'll be down by multiple scores in a hurry and it will be over. we gotta be mudders in this one, somehow. just grind and keep playing.

if we turn it over, we'll be down by multiple scores in a hurry and it will be over. we gotta be mudders in this one, somehow. just grind and keep playing.
yup. Need the OL to get healthier this week. We get the guards back, supposedly, but what the hell is happening at tackle?

need to open it up these last 5 games, dink and dunk offense isn't going to get it done vs the big boys.

Buffnik and S2S are correct in that, with 2 RBs and Sefo back there, the 2 RBs are the blockers. I was referring to when they've ran the QB off tackle with just CP leading. Both sentiments are right, but they are different situations and personnel packages.
Gotcha, like I said I was drinking. These late games suck when you start at noon.

Here's to hopin' that CU pulls the trick out of the bag against UCLA.
UCLA is not perfect, they have proven they can shoot themselves in the foot, and CU has proven they can play spoiler
when they execute.

Here's to hoping that Mac has them ready.
Um, when did we prove that, exactly? (y)

Yep.

The above is all correct. Make it ugly and eat the clock. Slow down the game and control the clock. We are not going to win a shootout and keeping the score low, eliminate the penalties and do not turn the ball over. Did I mention slowing the game down and eating the clock?

So, I'm getting that if we slow things down and get a **** load of turnovers, we can make a game of it. Sounds like a good plan. It seems to me we've hoped for this plan to play out many times over the last several years. I can't remember it ever working out, but hey, there is always a first time.

So, I'm getting that if we slow things down and get a **** load of turnovers, we can make a game of it. Sounds like a good plan. It seems to me we've hoped for this plan to play out many times over the last several years. I can't remember it ever working out, but hey, there is always a first time.
The plan is solid its the execution that's the issue

Like Mike would Say, "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."
we get punched in the mouth way too soon and often, or we punch ourselves in the mouth....

Yep.

I liked the Samson blitz up the middle on Saturday. It was a nice touch.

Back