What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs' Mike Bohn's work not yet done

Move the students out of 117 and allow them to buy at the same reduced rates but until the premium seats sell out, give the students the option to upgrade to 117 reserved seats for a premium fee. They would still be able to get the $115 (or what ever they cost now) seats but could get back into section 117 for say an extra $100. You only sell what is left after full price premium seats are sold. Either way, you juice the income even if it is only by $100 per seat plus what ever premium seats you sell to alumni/non student fans.

Logistics FAIL. The band needs to stay where it is. You can't move it back because it needs to leave the stands at various times and 109's proximity to both the southwest stairs and the gates to the COLORADO ramp are important. Also, for the safety of the students and their instruments, there needs to be some degree of buffer between the students and the band. You just can't surround the band with students. It would be a nightmare.

109 would be for the band. I think we were under the impression that they are currently in 110. We are suggesting that the band trades 110 for 109, the students trade 117 for 110, and the 109 area that's currently making a $25 donation per seat gets traded for 117 where there would be a $300 donation per seat (and a $110 higher price per seat).

http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/FolsomField/Map.htm?DB_OEM_ID=600

I definitely think that moving the students out of 117 is a good idea. But they may not be able to sell all those seats at the top donation level. But in the interim they could charge less for the seats towards the 35 yard lines. Students being around the South Bowl should not have a major impact. Remember we are only talking about one section with is ~1800 seats (about 15% of the student tickets)....Most of the student seats will remain in the same location.

I have wondered about that at times. It seems like we are giving up revenue so the students can sit in good seats.

109 would be for the band. I think we were under the impression that they are currently in 110. We are suggesting that the band trades 110 for 109, the students trade 117 for 110, and the 109 area that's currently making a $25 donation per seat gets traded for 117 where there would be a $300 donation per seat (and a $110 higher price per seat).

Meh, I say we move them to 111, create new access gates to the field for them and give up a few rows of student seats as a buffer.

What are the things that Mike Bohn can do right now to increase revenue to the AD?

This year. I'm talking beyond the long-term things like the Pac-12 contract improving conference revenues or better performance on the fields and courts generating additional money (tv appearances, attendance, post-season revenue, bump to merchandising, etc.).

My list, in no particular order:

• Increase private donations to the AD
  • Increase membership in Buff Club
  • Add sponsors (web, stadium, arena, programs, etc.)
  • Sell stadium naming rights for Folsom Field
  • Use sporting venues (Folsom, Coors) to host non-sports events like concerts
  • Increase season ticket sales
  • Reconfigure Folsom seating to maximize revenue (117 goes premium)

Naming rights are worth $1.5 million a year. Section 117 is worth close to $1 million over the current configuration.

I think there is $3-5 million in low hanging fruit that could be targeted for 2011.

Thoughts?

Edit: Could Balch become a "Beer Garden" for home games? No alcohol outside the building, but it is sold from pre-game through the 3rd quarter?

Meh, I say we move them to 111, create new access gates to the field for them and give up a few rows of student seats as a buffer.

Nice. You also have 208-210 that could go to the students if you maxed out supply vs demand once 117 was taken away.

I think this plan sounds more reasonable. Figure out a way to keep young alums in the stadium and you've got a winner. I am just very against trying to put all the students into a couple sections behind the endzone and in the upper deck. I think having students close to the action is part of what makes a college game so great.

Students already have 207 and 211 that bracket those sections as overflow from the lower deck student seating.

But you're taking away students and shuffling them off to the worst seats in the stadium. That BS.

if i'm the AD, i have a reduced-cost section for recent grads. we've talked about this before, but not many grads pop out at graduation ready to throw down a grand or two to have seats. i think you lose some people that way. i know that affording football tix would be hard to budget in year two or three of flying financial solo.

What are the things that Mike Bohn can do right now to increase revenue to the AD?

This year. I'm talking beyond the long-term things like the Pac-12 contract improving conference revenues or better performance on the fields and courts generating additional money (tv appearances, attendance, post-season revenue, bump to merchandising, etc.).

My list, in no particular order:

• Increase private donations to the AD
  • Increase membership in Buff Club
  • Add sponsors (web, stadium, arena, programs, etc.)
  • Sell stadium naming rights for Folsom Field
  • Use sporting venues (Folsom, Coors) to host non-sports events like concerts
  • Increase season ticket sales
  • Reconfigure Folsom seating to maximize revenue (117 goes premium)

Naming rights are worth $1.5 million a year. Section 117 is worth close to $1 million over the current configuration.

I think there is $3-5 million in low hanging fruit that could be targeted for 2011.

Thoughts?

Edit: Could Balch become a "Beer Garden" for home games? No alcohol outside the building, but it is sold from pre-game through the 3rd quarter?

I think you'd see more from the seat adjustment of 117, closer to 1.25 million in ticket revenue alone. The add in the young alumni plan for 115/116 and you'd likely pick up 50,000-100,000. On top of that improve the Basketball club room thing: some corner couches, another bar, pipe in the game audio, more than jsut 2 TV's, make it BuffClub mandatory. Do something similar with an area of Balch, and give people in 200-202 access while upping those and the stadium 4 seats to a $500 donation.

But you're taking away students and shuffling them off to the worst seats in the stadium. That BS.

Would you be happier if we made 118 a student section too?

If your value proposition is that it is more important to create the best possible gameday experience for students versus generating the maximum revenue for our athletic department from home games, then that's the direction you should be favoring... to put the students in all the premium seats and move the paying customers to the upper decks and end zones.

Would you be happier if we made 118 a student section too?

If your value proposition is that it is more important to create the best possible gameday experience for students versus generating the maximum revenue for our athletic department from home games, then that's the direction you should be favoring... to put the students in all the premium seats and move the paying customers to the upper decks and end zones.

And how many of those students stay in Colorado after graduation compared to going to the west coast? I agree that we need to move the student section to the south stands...isn't that where they sit at Invesco Field for the CU-CSU games? Maybe we can bring back the old Mile High Stadium South Stand mystique to Folsom Field because the South stands at Invesco Field isn't the same as the old Mile High Stadium.

Plus you have the ramp to allow the students to rush the field more safely as well.

A win-win in IMO.

And how many of those students stay in Colorado after graduation compared to going to the west coast? I agree that we need to move the student section to the south stands...isn't that where they sit at Invesco Field for the CU-CSU games? Maybe we can bring back the old Mile High Stadium South Stand mystique to Folsom Field because the South stands at Invesco Field isn't the same as the old Mile High Stadium.

Plus you have the ramp to allow the students to rush the field more safely as well.

A win-win in IMO.

Yeah! Let's try to mirror the Invesco field atmosphere.

ok seriously we dont need to name call.

we wouldn't need to loose many student seats to do this. trade 109 for 117 straight up, as for the early grad program i am geussing you'd get 500-1000 takers tops, so those students would need to be moved but we have plenty of room in Folsom for 500-1000 people to get moved.

I would like someone to explain to my student loans how I got student tickets so cheap and that I actually deserved to sit in section 210 because I didnt give enough to the university.

I would like someone to explain to my student loans how I got student tickets so cheap and that I actually deserved to sit in section 210 because I didnt give enough to the university.

They give student loans for football tickets now? I didn't realize.

The cost of going to school at CU is not relevant to the discussion, IMO. The athletic department has to be self funding. It could sell more tickets, and at a higher price, if it were to move the students out of 117.

I really don't get the objection.

no one said you deserved to sit in 210 we are saying that long term is we want to ensure the success of the program and maximize the revenue at hand we need to move students out of 1 of the 4 most premium lower bowl sections. Then we are saying that we need to find a way to create some added long term value out of 116 which is where the young alumni program was suggested, students would obviously keep any seats not purchased by the start of school in those sections so if you had seniority you could still very easily be in 116. Ultimately this is a business and I order to compete we need to utilize our assets as effectively as possible, unfortunately for students that means not having them pay $100 for $800 seats near the 50 yard line.

I know you have loans and they cost you a ton, most of us went to CU and are sympathetic. Loading the students in 109-115 with over flow for the lazy, late buying, or game day attending in the upper deck isn't exactly maligning you.

The cost of going to school at CU is not relevant to the discussion, IMO. The athletic department has to be self funding. It could sell more tickets, and at a higher price, if it were to move the students out of 117.

I really don't get the objection.

I wish the cost of going to school to be a student who is eligible for student tickets was irrelevant too.

I wish the cost of going to school to be a student who is eligible for student tickets was irrelevant too.

I'm really not sure what you're playing at here. Are you saying that because the students pay tuition, they're entitled to sit in Sec 117? If that's the case, then what about Sec 118, 119, 105, 106? Hell, why not the entire lower section of the stadium. In fact, why not give all the luxury suites to the students! Why not? They pay tuition, right?

The argument is baseless. Nobody is saying the students aren't entitled to student seats. We're saying that the AD could make better use of Section 117 by selling it to the public.

I went to CU for the food in Libby's dining hall!

And whoever that was that said we shouldn't resort to name calling is a dickwaaad.

That's why you went to CU? For the discounted football tickets?
When I'm giving a **** ton of money to the school that I'm a part of, it's more than reasonable that the football tickets should be discounted. I can't help it that you don't understand the economic costs of a student ticket and only understand explicit costs detached from reality.

And Sac good job on the unreasonable hyperbole, I'm not advocating a change toward students taking over the stadium the only change being advocated in this thread is moving the student tickets away from where they are currently at. You're the one throwin out the strawman acusations then all you guys do is recreate my position and attack that.

When I'm giving a **** ton of money to the school that I'm a part of, it's more than reasonable that the football tickets should be discounted. I can't help it that you don't understand the economic costs of a student ticket and only understand explicit costs detached from reality.

And Sac good job on the unreasonable hyperbole, I'm not advocating a change toward students taking over the stadium the only change being advocated in this thread is moving the student tickets away from where they are currently at. You're the one throwin out the strawman acusations then all you guys do is recreate my position and attack that.

Monk, none of your student loan money is going to the AD.

And I'm not arguing that students shouldn't be eligible for cheap tickets and good seats. But do you realize that the students have 8 sections in the lower deck of the stadium? This includes seats that go to the 50 yard line on one side of the field. That's incredibly generous to the students and goes overboard. We've got a cash-strapped AD that could better utilize its stadium resource to make additional money. I'm talking about the student section going to about the 35 yard line instead. That's still incredibly generous. Take a look at the Nebraska seating chart for the student section: http://www.huskers.com//pdf1/137121.pdf. Or the Utah seating chart, where you'll also see students in the corner of an endzone: http://www.utahtickets.com/fls/1400/Athletics/Maps/fbmap.htm

So if I get this right, you are of the opinion that because you pay tuition, you are entitled to the best seats in Folsom. I disagree. A lot of the folks in Sec 118 also paid tuition. Sometimes for more than one student. And they give to the CU foundation, and they pay a $300/Year per seat charge on top of the cost of their season ticket.

Nowhere in any of my posts will you see me say the students aren't entitled to discounted tickets. Where I have an issue is giving away seats on the 50 yard line.

Back