What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-CSU Football Moves To Friday, August 29

cubuffs85

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209452690&DB_OEM_ID=600

The Pacific-12 Conference and the University of Colorado jointly announced Thursday that the season opener for the Buffaloes against Colorado State University will moved up a day to Friday, August 29, to accommodate a national television audience.
The game against CSU, also billed as the Rocky Mountain Showdown, will be televised on one of the ESPN or FOX Sports platforms and will have an evening kickoff at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver. It will be the 14th time the two rivals will duel in Colorado’s capital city, all since 1998, and the 20th straight year one of the nation’s most underrated rivalries will be televised on a national or regional basis.

Just another reason for CSU fans to watch on TV. At least I'll be able to Cinch it up and get a small buzz after work before this one. I can't wait until this series is over.

Last edited:
Friday night is for high school football. BCS conference schools shouldn't be competing with high schools for a football audience.

note: VT is playing on a Friday this year too because the ACC sold out to ESPN. This is not criticism of CU, this is criticism of the current system.

On a positive note, I'll get a night game! Actually, it'll be my first game at Mile High and I'm really looking forward to it, regardless what day they play.

Did they happen to come up with a time? This sucks. Our historical performance on these special Thursday/Friday games has been pretty crappy of late.

Did they happen to come up with a time? This sucks. Our historical performance on these special Thursday/Friday games has been pretty crappy of late.
Didn't see one, I think it's safe to assume it won't begin earlier than 5 PM (7 PM EST), probably atleast 6 PM.

I find these weekday games tiresome. Football tickets are expensive enough, but having to burn vacation time to make it to the game is not ideal.

Well, that ends any possibility of the game being a family affair. I may buy a ticket for myself. I'll decide the week of the game.

you live in Aurora and will have to burn vacation time to attend a Friday evening game in Denver?
I find these weekday games tiresome. Football tickets are expensive enough, but having to burn vacation time to make it to the game is not ideal.

or he works evenings (that possibility occured to me about 20 seconds after posting)

or dude takes his tailgating more seriously than I do and needs proper time!
I assume he assumes the game will be at 1:00 or something. Does a double assumption = fact?

makes planing any type of tailgate rather difficult, but I'm sure that was the plan all along.

for any insatiable Colorado college football nuts, it does open the possibility of two games the same weekend with the AFA hosting a game (Nicholls State) on Saturday.

They had to screw that weekend up somehow. Would have preferred Sunday. Now doubt that I can come, wife probably won't be able to take the day off due to the holiday weekend per her district's policy and I have a hard time justifying taking my oldest out of school for a football game. I wonder if the ticket office would refund my upgrade at least. I will probably have to give them away anyhow.

crap - I now have to try and get either the day off or get off work early this night...
which won't be easy as this is a very busy time of year at my job-

The good news is that a national television audience (if you consider Fox Sports 1 to really be national (their ratings say otherwise), because that's where we'll end up...or ESPN2 if we really get lucky) will get to see how only 30,000 people in the state of Colorado give two ****s about college football as they stare at all the empty seats on the east side of the stadium since they insist on putting the CSU fans over there and you know they aren't showing up...again. They'll start the game at 5pm Mountain because they want the east coast prime time audience, even though it means hardly anyone will be able to get into the stadium by kickoff if they don't want to burn vacation time, and all but assures that no one in our primary west coast recruiting grounds will watch.

you live in Aurora and will have to burn vacation time to attend a Friday evening game in Denver?

So, game's at 6:00, let's assume. I usually plan on getting there an hour early or so. For a mile high game, that probably means a Buffride bus from Nine Mile Station at 4:10. Means I have to leave work around 3:00 go home, clothes, etc, then leave for the bus. Yup. 2 hrs PTO down the drain.

Nobody works (at least none of my employees or our clients and customers) the Friday afternoon before a 3 day weekend. I think this is awesome, as it leaves the entire weekend for family things (mountains?).

The good news is that a national television audience (if you consider Fox Sports 1 to really be national (their ratings say otherwise), because that's where we'll end up...or ESPN2 if we really get lucky) will get to see how only 30,000 people in the state of Colorado give two ****s about college football as they stare at all the empty seats on the east side of the stadium since they insist on putting the CSU fans over there and you know they aren't showing up...again. They'll start the game at 5pm Mountain because they want the east coast prime time audience, even though it means hardly anyone will be able to get into the stadium by kickoff if they don't want to burn vacation time, and all but assures that no one in our primary west coast recruiting grounds will watch.
I could it being an 8 PM (10 PM EST) start as part of a doubleheader.

5apeqy7y.jpg

u4amyvy3.jpg

Too soon?

I totally missed that's a holiday weekend!
Nobody works (at least none of my employees or our clients and customers) the Friday afternoon before a 3 day weekend. I think this is awesome, as it leaves the entire weekend for family things (mountains?).

Looking at other area draws for that weekend:
  • moving from Saturday to Friday avoids a conflict with a Rockie's home game
  • Friday night does conflict with night 1 of Phish at Dicks (on my calendar with two ??'s, which means, "if I have the money and nothing more interesting to do")
  • Friday night conflicts with some country music s**t going on at Fiddler's Green
  • both schools will be in session on that Friday -- this should tip the scales in favor of more CU students, but based on history and early projections I suspect neither team will feel much home field advantage

looks like one of only 3 Fri/Sat weekends that the Red Rocks' calendar is empty between May and September -- anyone "in the know"? (hoping, praying, lighting candles and considering blood sacrifices to get the Allman's to the Rocks on their last tour....)

We're so bad, they invent new times to play games to try and get people to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back