What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU-CSU Football Moves To Friday, August 29

I want to ditch them because

1. I hate the location and doubt Jack up North would be realistic in scheduling negotiations and probably wouldn't accept a 2 for 1 contract series and I doubt RG wants to continue with the series at Sports Authority

2. **** CSU

I'd like to get into scheduling some OOC games in Texas for recruiting purposes.

I'm with you on all three points, but with one big caveat. I do not savor a September OOC game in the state of Texas. It's insufferably hot in Texas from Labor Day weekend through early October, making for a terrible road trip. Texas heat is probably a bigger advantage than Colorado altitude. The Buffs don't do well at over 100 degrees on the road (eg Fresno 2012, ASU 2008). We do not want to get torched by the likes of North Texas, TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, UT San Antonio, or anybody else because our players aren't used to playing in the same triple digit temperatures that Texas players have been adjusting to all through their fall camp.

If the Buffs are going to play somewhere in Texas, lets shoot for a late October or November date. I'm thinking moving some P12 game into CSU's slot is easier said than done.

I'm with you on all three points, but with one big caveat. I do not savor a September OOC game in the state of Texas. It's insufferably hot in Texas from Labor Day weekend through early October, making for a terrible road trip. Texas heat is probably a bigger advantage than Colorado altitude. The Buffs don't do well at over 100 degrees on the road (eg Fresno 2012, ASU 2008). We do not want to get torched by the likes of North Texas, TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, UT San Antonio, or anybody else because our players aren't used to playing in the same triple digit temperatures that Texas players have been adjusting to all through their fall camp.

If the Buffs are going to play somewhere in Texas, lets shoot for a late October or November date. I'm thinking moving some P12 game into CSU's slot is easier said than done.
UT San Antonio plays at the Alamodome.

My major problem is the location. Mile High/Invesco/SportsSack/BigDiaphragm Field sux. If we have to play the goats, we should do it at Folsom. For those of you who say "who we gonna schedule?" I say I went to CU v. NE La., CU v. NMSU, CU v. Hawaii, etc. won't go to Denver's armpit of an NFL stadium to see the goats, sorry.

Wow so now mile high is an armpit? When is the last time you were there? What the hell are you talking about

Wow so now mile high is an armpit? When is the last time you were there? What the hell are you talking about

Mile high is an armpit. I hate that place.

I hate the game in Denver. I will admit, though, that the DPD Gestapo has not been too bad the last couple years.

Mile high is an armpit. I hate that place.

I hate the game in Denver. I will admit, though, that the DPD Gestapo has not been too bad the last couple years.

Mile High is a great stadium for pro games, what it's designed for and managed for. Much less so for college games.

I wish that the series was ending but I'll believe it when I see it. CU gains little to nothing from this game. Winning doesn't help us in recruiting or national recognition, losing absolutely sucks because most of the rest of the country knows what CSU is (a mediocre at best mid-major team) but don't know that CSU lives for this game which alone can make their season.

That said the CSU people are going to pull out every card they have politically and otherwise to keep this thing going. It is the one game that their fan base and alumni base care about. Even though their attendance at it has been bad and getting worse it is still abut double what they get from their fans for the rest of their games that they play in Ft. Collins (subtract off visiting fans from their average attendance and it works out to be about 50%.)

It is also their best shot yearly at getting a major conference game close to home since very few of those teams are going to come to Ft. Collins and their one chance to get anything resembling a national TV game other than maybe when they are in line to get killed by Boise on national TV but in a lousy time slot.

Even with greatly reduced payouts as the level of TV carrier has dropped and attendance plummeted from the early days the game is also normally by far their biggest single game paycheck.

They are not going to let the series die easily. The only positives in this regard is that state funding for higher ed has been cut so much over the years that the politicians don't have as much leverage as they used to to apply behind the scenes to keep it going.

The night games and late games are better for me. Both my kids spend the first half of Saturday playing soccer games around the front range.

People are always going to complain. Until the Buffs do better, we're not in a position to really be doing that. GameDay isn't coming to this one. Would people prefer this game were at Saturday at 4 PM and on the P12 Network, I wouldn't.

Yes, I would.

Mile High is a great stadium for pro games, what it's designed for and managed for. Much less so for college games.

I wish that the series was ending but I'll believe it when I see it. CU gains little to nothing from this game. Winning doesn't help us in recruiting or national recognition, losing absolutely sucks because most of the rest of the country knows what CSU is (a mediocre at best mid-major team) but don't know that CSU lives for this game which alone can make their season.

That said the CSU people are going to pull out every card they have politically and otherwise to keep this thing going. It is the one game that their fan base and alumni base care about. Even though their attendance at it has been bad and getting worse it is still abut double what they get from their fans for the rest of their games that they play in Ft. Collins (subtract off visiting fans from their average attendance and it works out to be about 50%.)

It is also their best shot yearly at getting a major conference game close to home since very few of those teams are going to come to Ft. Collins and their one chance to get anything resembling a national TV game other than maybe when they are in line to get killed by Boise on national TV but in a lousy time slot.

Even with greatly reduced payouts as the level of TV carrier has dropped and attendance plummeted from the early days the game is also normally by far their biggest single game paycheck.

They are not going to let the series die easily. The only positives in this regard is that state funding for higher ed has been cut so much over the years that the politicians don't have as much leverage as they used to to apply behind the scenes to keep it going.
:stupid:

I like the Friday game. Night game followed by hitting the bars, sounds good to me.

Fora college game, yes, it is an armpit. The place is designed to fleece the Bronco worshipping masses. If you are in to that, cool. I don't like it as a venue for a CU game when have a huge preference for Folsom. So compared to Folsom, for a CU game, it is an armpit.

I think soulless aluminum monstrosity is more fitting than armpit. Add in the gestapo, and it's a terrible college football venue.

I would not call it a great stadium for anything. It is a pretty sterile atmosphere, IMO. I would not say it is an armpit but it is not a venue that makes me want to go to a game. The pro atmosphere is better because it is full and the crowd is fired up.

I would not call it a great stadium for anything. It is a pretty sterile atmosphere, IMO. I would not say it is an armpit but it is not a venue that makes me want to go to a game. The pro atmosphere is better because it is full and the crowd is fired up.

I would agree with you that the atmosphere for pro games is not as good as the old mile high was. I don't know that it would be that great for college even if it was full but it is designed for the pro fans and isn't bad for pro games. Certainly Bowlen and Co. like it.

I don't know Mtn, I can't think of a substitute OOC game that a) CU has a shot to win, and b) that will make CU an equal amount of $$ as the RMS. I agree it's lame and I agree that Invesco is pain in the butt for access and parking but name an opponent in Folsom for a season opener that will be a better $$ draw for CU. And that will play in Boulder and that we have a 50/50 chance of beating. Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State? Those are a coin flip. You might get Nebraska to come here once; the CU nostalgists will love it until they are loping out of Folsom after a 30 point loss. Let's review the RMS topic after CU is a functional .600 or better team again.

I know. That's a total nostalgic death-wish cluster**** at this point, and an act of managerial desperation. And boring.

A bit hyperbolic there.

Well, yeah. My only defense is that others were getting a bit hyperbolic about the Rammie game. At least I reserved my hyperbole for a BCS (or whatever it's now called) opponent. :doh:

I don't know Mtn, I can't think of a substitute OOC game that a) CU has a shot to win, and b) that will make CU an equal amount of $$ as the RMS. I agree it's lame and I agree that Invesco is pain in the butt for access and parking but name an opponent in Folsom for a season opener that will be a better $$ draw for CU. And that will play in Boulder and that we have a 50/50 chance of beating. Wyoming, New Mexico, Utah State? Those are a coin flip. You might get Nebraska to come here once; the CU nostalgists will love it until they are loping out of Folsom after a 30 point loss. Let's review the RMS topic after CU is a functional .600 or better team again.

New Mexico, New Mexico State, Idaho, and a number of other regional mid-major level schools would be very happy to play us for much less than this game pays CSU.

These teams are comparable or less to the talent that CSU has and none of them would treat this game like their superbowl the way CSU does. The chances of these teams having their game of the year and beating the better team (us) is much lower.

CU coming off a lousy season drew 35,000 to see Charleston Southern at Folsom, We drew that many see us play Central Arkansas as well. Neither of those schools had any significant number of fans in the region to add to the crowds.

The RMS made financial sense for CU when the game was drawing 60,000+ fans and getting a high paying slot on a national network. CU was making much more money than they would for a game in Folsom and CSU made what for them was a huge paycheck. Now that the interest has died off the game is still good for CSU financially. The situation isn't that great for CU. If we are making more than we would for a game in Boulder it isn't much and at the same time our fans are unhappy in Denver with lousy treatment and bad seats. It is also one less home game for the Boulder businesses that support the program as well.

We aren't in a position to be overly picky but this is a game and a series that has run it's course. We can replace it with a game that is better for our fans, better for our team and better financially.

Good discussion. If CU ends up equal or better $$-wise and W/L-wise out of a change then I'm all for it. I have zero love for the Rams or the RMS, just don't want the Buffs to shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm just tired of the Rocky Mountain Slowdown. I wouldn't be surprised if the goats spend all of spring and fall camp getting ready for this game. They have usually work themselves into a total goat frenzy by the time kickoff comes. And we all know the drill, CU wins, well shucks they were supposed to, CSU wins, oh my gosh, the world has been shocked.

There really isn't anything for CU to prove, even a cursory glance at the series history shows who has dominated. For those of you reading this in goat country, the dominant team does not wear green.

At this point, CU should be scheduling for its first two games and opponent that is beatable, but good enough to expose areas of the game were CU needs to improve prior to conference play. While theoretically CSU might fit this mold, it is just a tired and worn out attempt at creating a meaningful game/series.

I agree with Mountain, there are several good regional teams that are just as intriguing as CSU is, plus CU could play them at home. Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, New Mexico state, UNLV, Nevada and San Diego State all leap to mind.

Kill the Rocky Mountain slowdown and it's fake rivalry. Move home games back to Folsom and be done with it.

Playing Wyoming doesn't make any more sense than CSU....same criteria for what is wrong with CSU game would apply to Wyoming as well.....same would go with Air Force

Playing Wyoming doesn't make any more sense than CSU....same criteria for what is wrong with CSU game would apply to Wyoming as well.....same would go with Air Force

You haven't interacted with both fan bases much have ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good discussion. If CU ends up equal or better $$-wise and W/L-wise out of a change then I'm all for it. I have zero love for the Rams or the RMS, just don't want the Buffs to shoot themselves in the foot.

My understanding is that the RMS was a money maker for CU from the standpoint that CU made a lot more money in the "away" years by playing at Invesco instead of in FoCo. But the home years were less profitable.

Based on that, I think the CU math goes like this:

1. Replace CSU with a home game in the home years (when CU gets a 4-game Pac-12 home schedule).

2. Replace CSU with an away game in the away years (when CU gets a 5-game Pac-12 home schedule).

By doing this, CU can make more money than the current deal in the home years and at least as much in the away years (if a BCS opponent is found). Also, it gives some flexibility to play 7 games at Folsom in some years or to do a neutral site game for a big payday once the program has its prestige back.

My understanding is that the RMS was a money maker for CU from the standpoint that CU made a lot more money in the "away" years by playing at Invesco instead of in FoCo. But the home years were less profitable.

Based on that, I think the CU math goes like this:

1. Replace CSU with a home game in the home years (when CU gets a 4-game Pac-12 home schedule).

2. Replace CSU with an away game in the away years (when CU gets a 5-game Pac-12 home schedule).

By doing this, CU can make more money than the current deal in the home years and at least as much in the away years (if a BCS opponent is found). Also, it gives some flexibility to play 7 games at Folsom in some years or to do a neutral site game for a big payday once the program has its prestige back.

I don't believe that is the case. According to this article Cory Hillard (Assistant AD) confirmed that CU makes an additional $1 million over what it could make playing the game in front of a sellout crowd in Boulder: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...-not-money-maker-once-Colorado-State-Colorado

That's almost equivalent to the value of the one-and-done CU did with Ohio State in 2011 ($1.4 Million). I can understand why CU's administration has been unwilling to walk away from this series despite the protests from its fan base. Obviously, all that is contingent on fans actually buying tickets to the RMS.

Last edited:
Back