What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU/CSU “rivalry” dying on the vine.

Not Sure

Sets low bar, barely exceeds it.
Club Member
CU has scoreboard in every single sport where the two schools play each other. I believe this is symptomatic of the growing divide between the haves and have-nots in college athletics. Even the once vaunted CSU women’s volleyball team is struggling. I think this is only going to get worse. They have a head football coach who is probably too sick to coach, but they can’t fire him because they simply don’t have the money. They’re up to their eyeballs in debt from the shiny new stadium that sits half empty or worse on most Saturdays.

I’m not saying this to gloat. I honestly don’t harbor CSU any ill will, but they’re rapidly getting left behind and I don’t see any mechanism for them to make up lost ground.

My point? I think that this is symptomatic of what is happening to college athletics and it’s not going to get better.

I would think being a Pac-12 member has something to do with victories in the other sports. While the Pac-12 isn't known for its football & basketball, the Pac-12 can lay claim to being the best conference in many other sports.

I would think being a Pac-12 member has something to do with victories in the other sports. While the Pac-12 isn't known for its football & basketball, the Pac-12 can lay claim to being the best conference in many other sports.
We raised our level of competition; they didn't - end of story.

We raised our level of competition; they didn't - end of story.
I agree. Point being, I don’t think there’s a way for them to raise that level of competition for them. They’re stuck in what I believe to be a slow death spiral. It might take 20 years, but I think the writing is on the wall. And not just for them. Pretty much any non P-5 school is in the same boat. Especially the ones with expensive football programs that aren’t generating adequate revenues to fund the other sports.

When does the Big 12 extend lil bro an invite? I’ve been told that an on campus stadium was their ticket to the big time.

When does the Big 12 extend lil bro an invite? I’ve been told that an on campus stadium was their ticket to the big time.
maxresdefault.jpg

I thought one of the rammies who had a friend who's cousin said that a Big 10 invite was gonna happen two years ago.

TBH, I think there was a brief moment in time where CSU might have had a chance to get into the game, if the cards had fallen just right. They actually are a pretty decent institution in comparison to some P5 schools, CO is a rapidly growing state, and for a brief moment in time, they looked to have up and coming programs under McElwain and Eustachy, a dynamic AD in Graham, and a nice new stadium on the way. If expansion had gone into a feeding frenzy at the right time, they might have had a chance in the Big 12, assuming the Big 12 survived.

Instead, expansion stalled out, and now things really have gotten steadily worse for their athletic department as a whole. Graham turned out to be shyster, McElwain bolted, Eustachy plateaued and is now gone, and the stadium failed to get the attendance they claimed it would. No one is going to ever look at them for a P5 invite now or in the future.

Like others, I bear them no ill will, though I will admit from a CU fan standpoint, when it comes to recruiting, it would have been more difficult to have another P5 program in our backyard, so I'm not going to shed tears about it.

I bear them ill will.
They built a stadium they can’t afford, and now the legislature will remember that.
They better start booking a ton of big events to cover those costs because football isn’t. It’s playing out how everyone who isn’t a fan said it would, and that is bad for Colorado taxpayers and university presidents.

I bear them ill will.
They built a stadium they can’t afford, and now the legislature will remember that.
They better start booking a ton of big events to cover those costs because football isn’t. It’s playing out how everyone who isn’t a fan said it would, and that is bad for Colorado taxpayers and university presidents.

Hoping for monster trucks. That would be awesome.

Who cares?
I care. It’s a bad look for college athletics in the state. There are dipshits like Jack Kroll in the legislature who can’t differentiate between CU and CSU. They are ignorant of the massive differences between the two schools athletic departments. As far as joe dumbass is concerned, taxpayers are on the hook for the poor decisions that CSU has made so that must mean they’re in the hook for CUs entire athletic budget. There’s no reasoning with stupid, and there’s a lot of stupid in this state.

I care. It’s a bad look for college athletics in the state. There are dipshits like Jack Kroll in the legislature who can’t differentiate between CU and CSU. They are ignorant of the massive differences between the two schools athletic departments. As far as joe dumbass is concerned, taxpayers are on the hook for the poor decisions that CSU has made so that must mean they’re in the hook for CUs entire athletic budget. There’s no reasoning with stupid, and there’s a lot of stupid in this state.
No offense, but bull****. If CU does well, the fate of CSU is inconsequential in Boulder. The "state" does not need a CU / CSU rivalry.

CU has scoreboard in every single sport where the two schools play each other. I believe this is symptomatic of the growing divide between the haves and have-nots in college athletics. Even the once vaunted CSU women’s volleyball team is struggling. I think this is only going to get worse. They have a head football coach who is probably too sick to coach, but they can’t fire him because they simply don’t have the money. They’re up to their eyeballs in debt from the shiny new stadium that sits half empty or worse on most Saturdays.

I’m not saying this to gloat. I honestly don’t harbor CSU any ill will, but they’re rapidly getting left behind and I don’t see any mechanism for them to make up lost ground.

My point? I think that this is symptomatic of what is happening to college athletics and it’s not going to get better.
If you don't harbor any ill will towards CSU, just go visit Ramnation. You'll quickly gain that back. CSU's fans and their little man syndrome make me loathe everything about that school.

No offense, but bull****. If CU does well, the fate of CSU is inconsequential in Boulder. The "state" does not need a CU / CSU rivalry.
None taken, but I don’t think you understand my concerns. I know what they do has no impact on us. The vast majority of people in the state, including most legislators, aren’t able to make that connection. They view CU and CSU as interchangeable. As far as they’re concerned, there’s no difference. That hurts us. We need CSU to at least appear to be competent. Otherwise we get lumped into the same boat as them.

None taken, but I don’t think you understand my concerns. I know what they do has no impact on us. The vast majority of people in the state, including most legislators, aren’t able to make that connection. They view CU and CSU as interchangeable. As far as they’re concerned, there’s no difference. That hurts us. We need CSU to at least appear to be competent. Otherwise we get lumped into the same boat as them.
I'm confused by your point. So CU being competent and CSU not being competent makes people in the state view them similarly. But if CSU becomes competent then CU will be considered a better institution?? o_O

This is nothing like the 80s when the legislature pushed the rivalry; we get less than 4% of our budget from the state. We are n a much stronger position to say "thanks, but no thanks." to anything they try to push. I don't believe that the majority of the state bunches the schools together, either. I've been here over 50 years and have never known anyone to think that. There is a faction that believes that CU has a responsibility to support CSU, but as I mentioned above, they carry much less water than in the past.

We have two (possibly three) regents who were elected by people who couldn’t care less about CU football and would just assume it went away. They are either willfully ignorant, downright apathetic or openly hostile about the economics of big time college athletics. If that’s not cause for concern, then I don’t know what is.

Back