What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU DEFENSE- time to go back to the 4-3?

The 3-4 isn't working. No pressure unless cu blitzes 8 guys. Where is duribe? Obi?

CU isn't big enough or talented enough up front to run a 3-4. Our LB's other than rippy seem invisible.

The secondary is what it is, they hardly have anyone left.

I think the 4-3 would be better for next season, you?

No. Scheme doesn't matter if you do not have the requisite talent or experience level. I like the 3-4 and think it is actually better for who we can put on the field this year. If we can find a qb we can rattle, we might have a chance at keeping our offense on the field a little longer. A qb like Luck or probably any other PAC-12 qb isn't going to have a problem with any of our schemes 4-3 or otherwise.

The 3-4 isn't working. No pressure unless cu blitzes 8 guys. Where is duribe? Obi?

CU isn't big enough or talented enough up front to run a 3-4. Our LB's other than rippy seem invisible.

The secondary is what it is, they hardly have anyone left.

I think the 4-3 would be better for next season, you?

Not only no, but hell no. The kids we have coming up in the system are built to play 3-4. I can't wait to watch Solis and Norgard blowing up the middle. Most of our problems on D right now boil down to shoddy secondary play - safety especially. Our safeties have been costing us multiple TD's per game going back at least 4 years. Going to a 4-3 won't fix that. Nothing will short of bringing in better recruits and properly coaching them. Brown may need to go if he can't bring in legit safeties with 4 years of PT to sell, but the 3-4 should stay.

Not only no, but hell no. The kids we have coming up in the system are built to play 3-4. I can't wait to watch Solis and Norgard blowing up the middle. Most of our problems on D right now boil down to shoddy secondary play - safety especially. Our safeties have been costing us multiple TD's per game going back at least 4 years. Going to a 4-3 won't fix that. Nothing will short of bringing in better recruits and properly coaching them. Brown may need to go if he can't bring in legit safeties with 4 years of PT to sell, but the 3-4 should stay.
Unless going to a 4-3 frees up a legit BCS cornerback to start opposite Henderson, nothing will change. We did pretty good against the run against stanford, especially considering our O was worthless.

By "large stretches" you mean 57 of 60 minutes correct? Hartigan,major have been irrelevant in most game, cabral is a good LB coach so what's going on there?

Hartigan isnt a true lb, too much of a tweener. Major's coming off his second major knee injury.

The problem with the defense is the secondary, not the Dline and backers. Have we had a "Coverage sack" all year? Probably not.

You simply cannot make any criticisms of this defense based on what we saw on Saturday. My B-I-L was saying "CU's defense is really terrible". I kept telling him that it wasn't the defense that was the problem in that game. It was the offense. Andrew Luck is everything he's cracked up to be. The guy is a machine.

That said, the comment about Obi is right on. For all the hype he got heading into the season, he's gone back to being completely invisible. Huge disappointment.

The problem with the defense is the secondary, not the Dline and backers. Have we had a "Coverage sack" all year? Probably not.

I doubt it. Any time Luck was on the run it was from a good pass rush but right after scrambling when he threw it away he always found a receiver open by a good 10 yards.

That said, the comment about Obi is right on. For all the hype he got heading into the season, he's gone back to being completely invisible. Huge disappointment.

I didn't expect him to be a wrecking ball playing the NT spot, getting double teamed, but I agree his impact has been fairly minimal. Strange that Bonsu only has 15 snaps played halfway through the season in relief as well. I know he had that knee injury but supposedly was 100% this fall. I think he should be used more, especially on obvious passing downs or as the 2nd DT when they lineup with a 4-man front. He was very disruptive back when he was healthy.

Back