What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU fans need a reality check on a coaching change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The entire point that the Fire Hawkins nw mob fails to even recognize, is that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

No one, I know of is defending Hawkins performance. However, throwing in the towel is not always the best thing to do. There are times when programs have reaped the benefits of staying that 1 extra year.

To act as if the ONLY way out of this mess to start all over again, may or may NOT be accurate. Unless someone here can see into the future, none of us know what will happen next year with a NEW coach or the existing coach.

Why some can't have a healthy debate on the pro's and con's without getting personal is beyond me.

You mean like referring to people who disagree as the Fire Hawkins now "mob"???? If so, I agree... :huh:

Seriously? Stoops lost less games in his first FOUR years than Hawk lost in his FIRST year. I would think Sooner Nation felt pretty good about Bobby after the first four, especially since he pulled an MNC out of his hat in year two.

I think they mean MIKE Stoops.... :cool:

The entire point that the Fire Hawkins nw mob fails to even recognize, is that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

No one, I know of is defending Hawkins performance. However, throwing in the towel is not always the best thing to do. There are times when programs have reaped the benefits of staying that 1 extra year.

To act as if the ONLY way out of this mess to start all over again, may or may NOT be accurate. Unless someone here can see into the future, none of us know what will happen next year with a NEW coach or the existing coach.

Why some can't have a healthy debate on the pro's and con's without getting personal is beyond me.

Wow, Chilly, I hope you don't think my responses are personal. Just sarcastic.

I realize bringing in a new guy is a crap shoot. I seriously doubt a staff shake up is going to fix this mess. I really cannot think of one situation where a HC was on the ropes, had a staff shake up forced on him and then went on to a successful run. If you do know of one, I'd be all ears.

Four years of bad football leads me to believe it is unlikely Hawk will get it right here. IF he runs the table, I'd be willing to look at year five. I doubt I'll have to consider that. For the record, I tend to think five years is the benchmark unless the results are so poor you just have to pull the ripcord. For me, Sub-.400 is where you pull the ripcord. But like I said, if Hawk pulls off four straight wins at the end of the season, I'd probably feel differntly. Right now, he's got one in a row.

Ok so, what is your reasoning as to why we failed this year Chilly? We don't have any big name injuries. If depth is a problem in year 4, that's Hawks fault. If his assistant coaches can't coach, that's his fault. If his players don't come out ready to play, again, his fault. What is going to be so different in year 5?

**** ain't working. O-line has been horrific and D started out the years in the ****ter as well.

And of course that is on the coaches. No excusing it. But things change, kids grow-up and teams come together sometimes. I don't know if it will happen in year 5, but there what indication did KU, MU or UofA have that things would be different for them?

Stoops was being ridden out of town in Tucson, no one had any faith that he would turn it around there either.

I don't know if that will happen here or not, but I also don't know if a coaching change is a guaranteed improvement either.

So in light of not knowing what is behind door A or B. I will stick with A, because all the reasons I have stated on multiple occasions.

Wow, Chilly, I hope you don't think my responses are personal. Just sarcastic.

I realize bringing in a new guy is a crap shoot. I seriously doubt a staff shake up is going to fix this mess. I really cannot think of one situation where a HC was on the ropes, had a staff shake up forced on him and then went on to a successful run. If you do know of one, I'd be all ears.

Four years of bad football leads me to believe it is unlikely Hawk will get it right here. IF he runs the table, I'd be willing to look at year five. I doubt I'll have to consider that. For the record, I tend to think five years is the benchmark unless the results are so poor you just have to pull the ripcord. For me, Sub-.400 is where you pull the ripcord. But like I said, if Hawk pulls off four straight wins at the end of the season, I'd probably feel differntly. Right now, he's got one in a row.

It's all good.

Fair enough. I really don't know the dynamics of why any of those schools kept their coaches around, big wins? good recruiting? serious signs of improvement? I just don't know.

I guess that is where we differ, I prefer door B because I think it's more likely we achieve those goals with someone new in here; I feel as though we really do have a chance. I'll give Hawk that he has brought in some talent, he just can't seem to coach it. Some new guy could roll in here and get 8 wins with this talent imo. I think door B is far more likely to get 8 wins than door A. jmo

You mean like referring to people who disagree as the Fire Hawkins now "mob"???? If so, I agree... :huh:

I think they mean MIKE Stoops.... :cool:

So you really think me calling a collective group of people who are ready to run Hawkins out of town, without naming a single poster, a mob is the same as this.

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=561550&postcount=81

Which I still haven't seen what the link was to since it appear to be blocked, but I am sure it was very flattering.

Last edited:
So you really think me calling a collective group of people who are ready to run Hawkins out of town, without naming a single poster, a mob is the same as this.

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=561550&postcount=81

Which I still haven't seen what the link was to since it appear to be blocked, but I am sure it was very flattering.

How the hell would I know?? :confused: Since nobody has seen the picture, I really can't see how you can claim to feel marginalized by it. I'll be the first to admit a lot of derogatory **** has been said here lately. Much of it has been out of line and aimed at you and DBT. No question. But some of it has gone the other direction. "Mob" would certainly be one of the terms used that bears a negative connotation... :huh:

there are a lot of good Buff fans on both sides of this thing. and, everyone wants to win and what is best for the program.

let's all dial down the rhetoric. i've been moving the really nasty threads to the smack room. but, everyone please dial it down.

good posters leaving is not the right result. there should be room for diversity of opinion. there are going to be more anti-dan threads at this point because there are far more posters here and on every other Buff board that are in that camp than in the other camp. that is just a fact of life.

peace.

there are a lot of good Buff fans on both sides of this thing. and, everyone wants to win and what is best for the program.

let's all dial down the rhetoric. i've been moving the really nasty threads to the smack room. but, everyone please dial it down.

good posters leaving is not the right result. there should be room for diversity of opinion. there are going to be more anti-dan threads at this point because there are far more posters here and on every other Buff board that are in that camp than in the other camp. that is just a fact of life.

peace.

hippy!:hippie:

For all of those talking about how great Mike Stoops has been at Arizona this year, they haven't played anyone yet this year other than their loss to an overrated Iowa team. They could easily lose out and finish 6-6 going into a bowl. They'll be underdogs in every game remaining other than ASU, which is a rivalry game on the road.

hippy!:hippie:

look at me and see your future, young barrister in training. look at me and see your future...

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head."-- Winston Churchill

has anyone ever eaten at an In 'n Out burger?

any good?

You mean anybody other than those who have dedicated thousands of posts on Allbuffs to that very subject?

EDIT: sorry for the less than helpful response, but the In 'n Out Burger theme is an enduring one on Allbuffs.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Misdirection--I didn't recognize that that your question was posed on the ultra-contentious coaching thread. I'm a dumb-ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
look at me and see your future, young barrister in training. look at me and see your future...

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head."-- Winston Churchill
Always trust an alcoholic to be right in all things, that's what I say.

bah. i like the quote... i'd use it even it had been gandhi or someone who said it.

by the way, did gandhi ever take a knee? how about mlk?

:smile2:

I'm glad to know the goal of the program is now to make some **** bowl game once every few years.

Here's an update for those who haven't paying attention the last 15 years: "making a bowl game" doesn't mean anything other than that you scheduled some ****ty teams OOC and won at least 25% of your conference games. Whoopti-doo...? What a spectacular accomplishment...

If the goal in year 5 is to make the Tampax Bowl and call it a success at that... I'm not really interested.

This really does not resonate with the firing of a coach who was 7-2 at one point in the season for "performance reasons".

If Hawkins won 7 games in a single year we would hear endlessly from certain posters here about how he may literally be the second coming of Christ.

bah. i like the quote... i'd use it even it had been gandhi or someone who said it.

by the way, did gandhi ever take a knee? how about mlk?

:smile2:
I like the quote too. Churchill was nothing if not quotable. However, I think politics was outside of his expertise :lol:

Maybe firing Hawkins is the way to go, maybe not. However, if we do, indeed, fire him, finding a successful replacement will be a crapshoot.

First, the salary we pay our head guy and the assistants is middle to bottom of the conference. And Boulder probably has the highest cost of living in the conference. If we want a big time guy, we'll have to pay big time salary. With two buyouts on the ledger, I don't see that happening.

Second, whether you people want to aknowledge it or not, CU has tougher academic issues for a recruiter to deal with than any school in the Conference with Baylor maybe being an exception. We have almost a closed window on academic exceptions.

Third, the competition for recruits in Texas and California, historically our hot beds, has really gotten stiff. We have a much more difficult time recruiting those places. CU has to recruit on a national basis, unlike the Texas schools and OU.

If CU wants to be a contender in athletics, the CU administration needs to take a long, hard look at how they want to do business. Do we want a mediocre athletic program with high academic standards, or are we willing to bring in more at risk kids who will upgrade our athletic programs? Of course, the hope there would be that you can help them succeed in academics as well.

With all those factors, we are not going to attract a nationally prominent coach. We will have to do what we did with Bill and bring in an up and coming coordinator who is hungry to get a shot at the big time. And that, my friends, is a crap shoot every bit as much as keeping Hawkins is a crap shoot.

What a BS post.. I almost want to neg rep you for another "oh whoa is us, we can't compete, blah,blah,blah" post but I'll lie low..

Keeping Talkins is a crap shoot.. No, keeping Talkins around is CRAP..

there should be room for diversity of opinion.

I completely disagree.

You mean anybody other than those who have dedicated thousands of posts on Allbuffs to that very subject?

EDIT: sorry for the less than helpful response, but the In 'n Out Burger theme is an enduring one on Allbuffs.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Misdirection--I didn't recognize that that your question was posed on the ultra-contentious coaching thread. I'm a dumb-ass.

:doh::doh: You must be tired because you normally aren't this big of a dumb-ass.

And on that note, I'm gonna lock this thread. Since I'm right in all things. :smile2:

The thread's getting shut down because it's not going anywhere and we've devolved into name-calling my kids don't even do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back