What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU fans should embrace the stability of Mike MacIntyre

The author is none other than Mark Knudson. He played college baseball at csu. I thought he had some sort of tie to 'braska, but I guess not.

You are correct. Every CSU grad gets a red NU tie when they walk across the stage. They're t-shirt fans with diplomas.

So did all of you who are awesome at your job now ever suck at it? Haha.

20 pac12 losses weren't enough. Sounds like you guys want to give MacIntyre a shot at 30. Have at it. Winners win. Losers lose. That's the reality.

That is once again your opinion. Mine is that he is on very thin ice (3 media articles about what a good guy he is within a week tell me that his supporters are trying to build support for him knowing his situation is not good.)

No where have I ever said this was a quick fix. But I can tell you his approach since day one is not fixing the situation either. People keep comparing it to Embree - Wake up that is not the bar!!! MacIntyre thought he could bring in a bunch of WAC assistants, recruit projects and compete in the PAC 12....he is wrong.
I agree with all your points here.
Embree is not the bar we should be shooting for.
MacIntyres initial staff was not good enough, especially at recruiting, to get us where we want to be.
Right now though, I think keeping MacIntyre is the best solution. He needs to continue upgrading the staff like last year. He is a solid guy and a good coach. With Leavitt and an upgrade at OC/ qb coach and special teams/ recruiting star we will get back to the top.

Obviously the answer is to fire any coach who doesn't get us into a bowl game within 3 years.

I don't know how that plan would backfire.

Obviously the answer is to fire any coach who doesn't get us into a bowl game within 3 years.

I don't know how that plan would backfire.

Pretty tough. There are only 76 teams that make a bowl in any given year. That's 228 bowl slots in any three year span.

You're right. Those expectations are too high.

Pretty tough. There are only 76 teams that make a bowl in any given year. That's 228 bowl slots in any three year span.

You're right. Those expectations are too high.
OK, I take the "idot" comment back. You are obviously good at math.

If you are going to commit to giving MM more time, why not make it a full five years. Aren't the same arguments to give him another year now going to be present a year from now?

Mark Knutson is a world class tool. I happen to agree with him in this case, but that doesn't make him any less a tool.

Knutson is a huge tool. He played baseball for the sheep and is a dyed in the wool sheep lover.

He also has a giant hard on for the fuskers. I think he has family members who went there. A bigger factor may be that when he was most connected to CSU the Buffs were playing well and the sheep were what the sheep normally are including a few times when CU just killed CSU. His response was to turn to the fuskers to get his revenge on CU.

If you are going to commit to giving MM more time, why not make it a full five years. Aren't the same arguments to give him another year now going to be present a year from now?
There is an argument for doing just that. If the AD thinks a vote of confidence helps recruiting, or lack of one hurts it, then he has to make a value judgement and be willing to pay a buy out. Right?

Yep. He's done some good things, but he's made mistakes, particularly with his staff. That's why I don't think year 4 is going to look much different from year 3. The bump in recruiting this year, and more staff changes won't pay dividends till year 5 at the earliest. The argument is, why give a coach that's made some obvious mistakes, a chance to make more?

i know we're all suffering from stockholm syndrome, but great coaches can, in fact, turn things around in 3 years. look at what that redneck did up in fort flatlands.

trying hard is admirable. this is a results-based business.

I think 5 years is appropriate, in general. You've got your full group of recruits as seniors, and had several years to install and optimize your "system." I could see if there are 4 wins or less next year, it would be difficult to retain MM for a 5th year, and maybe that lack of improvement would justify the change. (Sorry this is assuming this year will end with 4 wins.)

After the 5th year though, you've pretty much got what you've got, other than the incremental ongoing recruiting improvement that should come with improving annual win totals.

I agree with all your points here.
Embree is not the bar we should be shooting for.
MacIntyres initial staff was not good enough, especially at recruiting, to get us where we want to be.
Right now though, I think keeping MacIntyre is the best solution. He needs to continue upgrading the staff like last year. He is a solid guy and a good coach. With Leavitt and an upgrade at OC/ qb coach and special teams/ recruiting star we will get back to the top.
Agree that he is a solid guy, but to play devils advocate for a minute - what makes people believe he is a good coach? Not saying he isn't necessarily, but is it possible he's really not a good coach at all?

Not trying to dump on Mac here, but I don't get where people are drawing that conclusion that he's a good coach. Maybe he is, but you sure can't tell by his career head coaching record. It seems just as likely that he's just a bad coach that struck lightening in a bottle one year with a plus qb.

Do I think Mac is the man to lead us back to national prominence? Probably not. I've questioned many of his decisions and I certainly think there are people out there who could have done more with this roster. There is no denying that we have made tremendous progress, though. Obviously Mac inherited a complete train wreck. Just look at these numbers. We were the worst P5 team in the country, FFS! We were getting pasted like a Division II team under Embree. Mac has made us almost respectable. Granted, that is a very low bar, but it is progress. Unless you're going to go out and get a guy who's taken teams to top tier bowls before, I don't see how firing Mac gets us anywhere next year. I don't see us breaking the bank for that type of coach so we might as well stay the course and give him one more chance to prove us naysayers wrong. He needs to make some more staff changes and get us to a bowl game. (NEINAS MUST GO! OC change would be welcome, too.) If we were to make a change, that's a crapshoot if we go for another coach who is not 100% proven as a P5 HC (non-P5 head coach or a P5 coordinator). It would also mean new systems for the kids to learn so I think the odds of bowling next year are better with Mac than without. Another year of losing in 2016 and certainly a change would have to be made.

(Yeah, the 2015 margin may very well end up being a little worse than 2014. Still nothing approaching the 2012 or 2013 levels, though.)

KMSrJFH.png

Cabral didn't coach that last Utah game. That was still Embree. I remember it distinctly.
I'll say it again because it seems to need repeating: the rest of the conference hasn't been standing still while we rebuild. If this were the B12, we would be able to catch a few teams like KU and ISU and probably go bowling. It's not the B12, though. It's the PAC 12, and we are the KU of this league. The gap was so big it took three years just to make a dent in it. Make no mistake, there's still a gap. It's smaller now, though.
I'm as frustrated as anybody, I just feel that making a change now would be counterproductive.

Cabral didn't coach that last Utah game. That was still Embree. I remember it distinctly.

Yeah, you're right. Cabral was the interim after Hawk got fired (of course!). Brain not working today. No sleep. lol

I'll say it again because it seems to need repeating: the rest of the conference hasn't been standing still while we rebuild. If this were the B12, we would be able to catch a few teams like KU and ISU and probably go bowling. It's not the B12, though. It's the PAC 12, and we are the KU of this league. The gap was so big it took three years just to make a dent in it. Make no mistake, there's still a gap. It's smaller now, though.
I'm as frustrated as anybody, I just feel that making a change now would be counterproductive.

So what are we building to for 2016/2017? Just trying to get an idea of what fans think the goals of this program are going forward.

So what are we building to for 2016/2017? Just trying to get an idea of what fans think the goals of this program are going forward.

No you're not. You're just being snarky.

Our only goal since Embree left should be to not suck. We achieved that goal. We don't suck. It took us three years to reach "not suck" level. I honestly don't know how long it will take to get to "win more than we lose" level. A lot will depend on how much our conference foes improve. They're still ahead of us.

Back