What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU football: Toby Neinas seeks strong start for Buffs special teams

Maybe give him a new title (demotion, so it's clear that he hasn't been cutting it), or bring in another coach to co-coach STs. That makes it pretty clear that he's out after the season and that he's not cutting it. However, it's not a firing, so MM could avoid that. ****, do it without titles or announcements. Just have another coach babysit him for the rest of the season.

Firing him now would look like a panic move. And while panicking may be exactly what is needed, I don't think it's the right move to make. Special teams didn't cost us the CSU game. And while it almost costs the game today, it didn't.

Make changes at year end. It special teams suck now, firing the ST coach two weeks into the season isn't going to make them any better.

Have you ever seen CU fire a coach 2 games into the season?
They dont have to publicly fire him. Just make him absent from coaching. Give him a paid vacation until January then fire his arse. In the meantime let someone else coach ST, maybe Gary Barnett can do it pro-bono :smile:

Frankly at this point I don't see how a GA could do a worse job. They can't cover kicks, they can't cover punts, the returns are ineffective and while we haven't had one blocked we don't protect our kickers and punters well either.

I wouldn't mind firing him now and bringing in a recruiting stud. I just don't know if it is possible to do in the middle of the season.

I wouldn't mind firing him now and bringing in a recruiting stud. I just don't know if it is possible to do in the middle of the season.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: Rick Neuheisel (although he is probably under some kind of contract with the Pac-12 Network through the football season). I bet that he would come back to Boulder as an assistant coach.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: Rick Neuheisel (although he is probably under some kind of contract with the Pac-12 Network through the football season). I bet that he would come back to Boulder as an assistant coach.

No way. Screw the weasel.... never trust that guy anymore. No loyalty. He'd probably be a divisive force in the program. Remember, we're a have-not anyway.

No way. Screw the weasel.... never trust that guy anymore. No loyalty. He'd probably be a divisive force in the program. Remember, we're a have-not anyway.

Neu would have us on probation in less than two years, and most of his recruits wouldn't live up to their rankings anyways.

No way that he would be happy not being the boss. The only way he comes in as an assistant is if he thinks he can manipulate his way into the head job and we don't need that drama in the program.

Since some of you guys seem to be pining for former CU coaches...

After tonight's game against BYU I think we could get Shawn Watson and UT would pay his salary for us.

:lol:

Since some of you guys seem to be pining for former CU coaches...

After tonight's game against BYU I think we could get Shawn Watson and UT would pay his salary for us.

:lol:

We could trade, Toby for Shawn.:lol:

Neinas has to go but you do not fire him now. You can take his responsibilites away now and give them to someone else and then officially fire him in Nov.

I don't see what firing him now accomplishes. Does it make us better?
If we can replace him with a competent coach, don't you think all the remaining practices and games this year would prepare us better for next year than keeping him? The only bad thing about firing him is withstanding the pictures his dad must have that forced us to hire him in the first place.

Weasel back, we don't need to work on our inner-tubing skills. What's he gonna do, pick up his guitar,sing a bull**** song and make us tougher?

Weasel back, we don't need to work on our inner-tubing skills. What's he gonna do, pick up his guitar,sing a bull**** song and make us tougher?

He'd probably be strong on the recruiting trail...and it can't get much worse than that unit is now

How about bring back Hagan. la Russa and Hagan co coach special teams. Gets Hagan back out on recruiting trail.

I doubt there is a great recruiter / assistant coach out there on the market to hire right now, and one that is currently employed would not leave the job he was at to come here mid season. Makes a black mark for him to be hired in the future if he leaves his current team hanging in the balance. I think that making him basically inactive would be the better choice, but I guess I don't see practices. Maybe MM sees them and he feels TN is coaching right and the kids are still just making mistakes. I can't say. All I know is that if we keep letting the opposing team start between the 40 and 50 yard line each time on average, it will be a very long year. That makes it hard for the defense to make a stop outside of FG range, and even if they do, the punt pins us down deep, which makes it hard for the offense if they have to go 85-90 yards each time to score. How much of that makes the offense play calling and defensive play calling change? If not the playcalls, it has to affect the mindset of the players and put more pressure on them.

I know we are still not a good team, but looking at a team with many issues, coverage seems to be the biggest issue that is a glaring weakness. Not the punter. Not the kicker even (although I thought Diego was supposed to be able to at least kick them very deep. WTF is going on with that? One of Neinas' biggest recruiting coups seems to have been wasted..at least at this point.). Just coverage.

One of my growing fears was that we were not conditioned well, but playing those guys at their home in heat and humidity we seemed to hold up well, and even be stronger at times, so maybe that isn't as bad as CSU made it look. I think CSU was more of a mental collapse than a physical one.

One player averaged 33 yards/kick for 3 returns, another had a 34 yard return, and then they returned a punt for 31 yard. The Minutemen of Massachusetts. That is horrific - even despicable - special teams coverage. There is no way to excuse it.

Special teams have had 2 really good games in a row now. There seems to be a pattern developing...suck the first 2-3 games, then really turn it on the rest of the season.

Special teams have had 2 really good games in a row now. There seems to be a pattern developing...suck the first 2-3 games, then really turn it on the rest of the season.

Well part of that is that we now don't mess around on kickoffs. Just boot it out the back of the endzone.

We gonna crush CSU in special teams next year!

Actually, hopefully we just fire neinas and stop this pattern.

We gonna crush CSU in special teams next year!

Actually, hopefully we just fire neinas and stop this pattern.
He seems unpopular on this board, and in a lame attempt at a little defense of him...once you back out the slow starts we had, the play has been really good. I know it's akin to saying if you disregard our losses, we're undefeated, but at least we are seeing progress during the year and when we need it...going into con play.

He seems unpopular on this board, and in a lame attempt at a little defense of him...once you back out the slow starts we had, the play has been really good. I know it's akin to saying if you disregard our losses, we're undefeated, but at least we are seeing progress during the year and when we need it...going into con play.
Bad pattern is a bad pattern. My theory is that HCMM gets involved to fix the errors once another team points it out to him. Why have neinas then?

Back