What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU in-state recruiting 2018

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Considering the high interest in in-state players from the AB community, I thought it would be good to compile the list of in-state prospects, whether they have a CU offer, a link to their profile (if they have one), and the school to which they are committed. This thread can also be a catch-all for discussing the local prospects or to let us mods know if there's a guy we should add.

NamePositionHigh SchoolCU OfferCommitment
Max BorghiRB (ATH)PomonaYWashington State
Blake CaretteOLCentennielNAir Force
Ezekiel CrepsOLSkylineY (dated?)Northern Colorado
Keion CrossATHRampartNNorthern Colorado
Gunner GentryWRGrandviewNWyoming
Jake HeimlicherOLBRegis JesuitYPenn
Adrian JacksonOLBMullenYOregon
Ryan MarquezQBPomonaNWyoming
Trey McBrideTEFort MorganYCSU
Chad MumaSLegendNWyoming
Cameron MurraySOverlandNWyoming
Evan PriceKEvergreenN
Ray RobinsonOLB/SHighlands RanchYCOLORADO
Dimitri StanleyATHCherry CreekY COLORADO
Jacob StantonLBChaparralN
Blake StenstromQBValor ChristianYCOLORADO
A'Jon VivensWRMullenNCSU
Zach WattsOLWindsorNWyoming
Tate WildemanDELegendNNebraska
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Is this list based off of recruiting rankings, or interesting in-state talent?

I went by who we had profiles made for, whether the prospect was ranked on either Scout or Rivals, had committed to a D1, and/or that I remember being reported as someone who visited CU. Probably missing a couple.

The quality of Colorado high school football is better than what a lot of us probably realize. Not in terms of total players and not in terms of blue chips each year (population isn't high enough), but in terms of the number of D1 players each year as a percentage of the number of HS football players. We're seeing about twice the rate of CO preps being recruited for D1 as comparable states like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The quality of Colorado high school football is better than what a lot of us probably realize. Not in terms of total players and not in terms of blue chips each year (population isn't high enough), but in terms of the number of D1 players each year as a percentage of the number of HS football players. We're seeing about twice the rate of CO preps being recruited for D1 as comparable states like Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Interesting stuff. Surprised Utah sits between Mississippi and Alabama in terms of quality per population.

Makes sense, there is a huge Poly population that pretty much only plays football while other states like Colorado is more diversified in terms of which sports certain kids play.

At first glance, my main question is since it says Division 1, do we really care about the preps signing with FCS teams? I think it would be more relevant to narrow it down to FBS.

At first glance, my main question is since it says Division 1, do we really care about the preps signing with FCS teams? I think it would be more relevant to narrow it down to FBS.
I liked this because it shows a good competition level for CO preps. Sure, a guy may be the only senior on a good CO 5A team who is going to play in the FBS. That's pretty common here. But the fact that his team and conference has a whole bunch of guys who are going to be playing on scholarship in the Big Sky or Missouri Valley is significant when we compare CO to similar states like MN and WI.

If you want to go deeper into it, here's the collection of 9 maps I found this in with each cutting it a different way: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/23/12607342/recruits-states-rankings

A good one is the concentration clusters, I thought. For Colorado, it really drives home that recruiting is about the I-25 corridor while showing that in the Pac-12 footprint there's a ton of open space between recruiting areas. It's not a conference you recruit by getting in your car, unless you're working at one of the Cali schools.

Adam's got a new article on Windsor's Zack Watts: http://www.scout.com/college/colorado/story/1777537-windsor-lineman-one-to-watch

"I am definitely looking forward to attending a CU camp this summer," he said. "I have been hearing from Coach [Klayton] Adams, CU's offensive line coach. He basically said if I handle everything there and do what I am supposed to do, he thinks I can earn an offer there."

Watts' level of interest in the Buffaloes grew substantially when he toured CU's campus and the team's facilities during a Recruit Day event earlier this spring.

"It wowed me. Everything there is top of the line," he said. "Talking to [head] coach [Mike] MacIntyre, you can tell why the organization is on the rise and why a lot of good players are now interested in CU. CU is just a big time school, everything there is the real deal."

Altitude has released part of its schedule for this year: http://chsaanow.com/2017-08-11/colorado-high-school-football-tv-listing-schedule-2017/

4 games we get to see Stenstrom in Aug/Sep, with the 9/29 game (Valor vs Creek) also featuring Dimitri.
Aug. 257 p.m.Faith Lutheran (Nev.) at Valor ChristianAltitude
Sept. 17 p.m.Mullen at Valor ChristianAltitude
Sept. 227 p.m.Valor Christian vs. PomonaAltitude
Sept. 297 p.m.Cherry Creek at Valor ChristianAltitude
Oct. 124 p.m. (10 p.m. HD)Golden vs. Dakota RidgeAltitude
Oct. 127:30 p.m.Mullen vs. ColumbineAltitude
Oct. 277:30 p.m.Grandview vs. ArapahoeAltitude
Oct. 274 p.m. (10 p.m. HD)Cherokee Trail vs. Mountain VistaAltitude
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
What's the deal. Bunches of quality programs in the state and we get Valor 4 times. They have a parent who controls one of the sponsors?

I'm curious to see where Ryan Marquez (Pomona's QB) ends up. Might end up being a basketball player. His father played at CU '85-'87, and brother Jordan was a PWO who redshirted in 2010 and was on the roster in 2011. I'm curious why he hasn't got any FCS offers at all.

I'm curious to see where Ryan Marquez (Pomona's QB) ends up. Might end up being a basketball player. His father played at CU '85-'87, and brother Jordan was a PWO who redshirted in 2010 and was on the roster in 2011. I'm curious why he hasn't got any FCS offers at all.

North Dakota is a FCS School

This discussion was here in season. Kid has strong CU ties and has been an excellent HS QB who also seems like a quality person.

He doesn't have P5 size though and some questions about his arm talent. Pomona is a school that gets looked at by a lot of D1 programs because of the talent they have put out over the years. This guy hasn't been missed, he just doesn't show the college coaches enough for a BCS level offer.

UND is a very good FCS program though so getting the offer from there is a feather in his cap.

Not sure where to put this, but Thennell stepped down at Mullen. I don't put a lot of stock in it as some posters here do, as I went to Bear Creek HS and my friends on football team did not think he was pushing players to CSU. But...regardless, I know some of you do think he did, and have personal ties to those thoughts. Anyway, he's out.

I
Not sure where to put this, but Thennell stepped down at Mullen. I don't put a lot of stock in it as some posters here do, as I went to Bear Creek HS and my friends on football team did not think he was pushing players to CSU. But...regardless, I know some of you do think he did, and have personal ties to those thoughts. Anyway, he's out.
Interesting. I played with Holland, coach definitely pushed players to CSU. But haha, he should go back to BC.

Ty Evans committment will be great for in state recruiting. Will it impact the 2018 class any?

Ty Evans committment will be great for in state recruiting. Will it impact the 2018 class any?
Not sure if there are any unsigned CO kids the buffs would take, so probably not. Could potentially give Luke McCaffrey something to think about, if he’s willing to come in as an ATH rather than QB.

Not sure if there are any unsigned CO kids the buffs would take, so probably not. Could potentially give Luke McCaffrey something to think about, if he’s willing to come in as an ATH rather than QB.
I meant for next years class. My bad. He is in next years and I was thinking the year after. So my point would be he should help next year’s class.

Lisa says ,”NO LUKE FOR YOU!!”

Back