What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Perspective on CSU's Claims to the Denver Market

If CU would ever get back to prominence and become Pac 12 Championship and Playoff contenders, they would contend for the #2 spot behind the Rockies/Avs/Nuggets.

Crazy thing is that they could accomplish things at the FCS level that they have no hope of trying to be a "big time" FBS school.

CSU is a school that recruit very well at the FCS level, with the new stadium and being in Ft. Collins they could consistently recruit the kind of players who make they an FCS powerhouse. They currently have trouble getting 20k fans to show up to see them lose. If they were a winning FCS team I think they could get similar fan numbers but at a much lower cost resulting in a better financial situation. Winning, even at a lower level would get them more media attention than they get now.

More importantly winning would give their fans and prospective fans something to rally around.

Question is do they want to be a big fish in a smaller pond or a dead fish in a pond to big for them to survive in?

In all seriousness I was amused with Mtns argument that they cant spend their way to success and juxtaposed your post against his. Ill not bring up what we paid Jon Embree and Rick Neuheisel instead of going to market and getting a big fish once upon a time. Or that we had to use general fund money to pay for the east side of Folsoms expansion. CU and others have plenty of examples of being dumb and frugal as well doing things to subsidize their AD as 90% of universities do.

The fact is that TV time is free advertising to attract out of state tuition payers. Im sure that CSU, Cincy, Memphis or whomever the B12 offers will accept a lopsided financial agreement in order to get that TV time.

This isn't about CU, though. I freely admit that we've made some incredibly stupid moves the last 20 years. But that's for a different thread. This is about CSU and its attempt to right the wrongs it had made decades ago. I honestly harbor no ill will towards CSU. I wish they were a decent program. But they're not, and they probably never will be, at least at this level. There's a slim chance this gamble works.

If CU would ever get back to prominence and become Pac 12 Championship and Playoff contenders, they would contend for the #2 spot behind the Rockies/Avs/Nuggets.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wouldnt that really be like the number 3 spot !1BRONCOS!!!, #2Suckies, #2Huggies, #2Lanche??

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the new stadium will help to increase their presence or footprint at all? Their end goal is P5 inclusion. Frankly, I don't think CSU brings enough to the table for the Big XII - my assumption is they expand East with Cincy and either UCF or Houston.

By way of comparison, SMU moved game day from Fair Park about 5 miles from campus to an on-campus location. No P5 offer (yet). Also SMU renovated their basketball facilities, built a new tennis center, has an aquatics center, and even just installed dedicated lacrosse fields. SMU football stadium fills up for rival TCU, but most schools don't bring enough interest to fill the on-campus facility to its 39,000 seat capacity. A light rail station is within walking distance of the stadium. The school is in a recruiting hotbed. Two major national airports are within an easy drive. And it's located in one of the nation's top 10 largest TV markets.

Financially and logistically speaking, tell me why CSU would be a more attractive P5 target than SMU?

Similar questions should be asked when comparing CSU with the P5 prospects of other next-tier competitors like Central Florida, Memphis, Houston, Tulsa, Cincinnati, San Diego State, Boise, or BYU.

Bottom line is that CSU's stadium is going to make gameday more attractive to CSU fans. But it's not a magic ticket that guarantees anything by way of conference bids.
It's a money game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is about CSU and its attempt to right the wrongs it had made decades ago. I honestly harbor no ill will towards CSU. I wish they were a decent program. But they're not, and they probably never will be, at least at this level. There's a slim chance this gamble works.

So, they should just throw in the towel and quit? Fort Collins isnt exactly **** hole with no hope.

Crazy thing is that they could accomplish things at the FCS level that they have no hope of trying to be a "big time" FBS school.

CSU is a school that recruit very well at the FCS level, with the new stadium and being in Ft. Collins they could consistently recruit the kind of players who make they an FCS powerhouse. They currently have trouble getting 20k fans to show up to see them lose. If they were a winning FCS team I think they could get similar fan numbers but at a much lower cost resulting in a better financial situation. Winning, even at a lower level would get them more media attention than they get now.

More importantly winning would give their fans and prospective fans something to rally around.

Question is do they want to be a big fish in a smaller pond or a dead fish in a pond to big for them to survive in?

FCS isnt **** and you know it. You never move down. You only move up. Moving down doesnt give anyone anything to rally aound. Most FCS schools have a student population of half to a third of what CSU has (32000). UNC is FCS and has under 13,000 enrolled. D2 School of Mines has 5000.

The only reason they are doing this is attract eyeballs and entice out of state students.

Last edited:
CSU cannot claim the Denver market for college football but neither can CU and that is unfortunate because at one time we could. Realistically, CSU has a gained ground on CU. People use to move to the Metro area and immediately knew that CU was the program with national prestige and CSU was an after thought. The PAC12 has not helped locally with CU seldom playing in the spotlight. We use to be on National TV frequently and play in games that college football fans wanted to watch.

I hope that CSU does get a P5 invite maybe it will wake up the stakeholders for CU. Competition is a good thing.

So, they should just throw in the towel and quit? Fort Collins isnt exactly **** hole with no hope.

You amaze me sometimes. Are you just saying stuff to say stuff or are you really paying absolutely no attention to the posts you're quoting? How do you get "they should throw in the towel" from what I posted? Or is that your own interpretation and you're projecting?

I think the next 10 years, with the tightening control of the P5 conferences, will see several teams drop to FCS. TV money is already drying up for them and will only get worse.

How do you get "they should throw in the towel" from what I posted? Or is that your own interpretation and you're projecting?

I guess I misread your thoughts there.

CSU is a small fish in a small pond.
Maybe it will work, but I wouldn't bet on it. The TV money is all gone. There isn't a sugar daddy out there to pick them up.
If there was ever a poster child for not allowing your athletic department to die on the vine, it's CSU.
I wish they were a decent program. But they're not, and they probably never will be, at least at this level. There's a slim chance this gamble works.

If the Buffs could recapture the magic of the Golden Years I think this state would go crazy for them again

Considering how bad we have been it's amazing how much support CU has maintained in Colorado. Colorado sports fans love the Broncos and who ever is winning. I could easily see Folsom back close to full every game with CU competing for the conference championship each year (10 or more wins a season including some over ranked opponents.)

Buffs games are an exciting event and a solid value, simply have to give the fans a reason to pay attention.

If the Buffs could recapture the magic of the Golden Years I think this state would go crazy for them again
Colorado is a football state and the only relevant football that's been played here the past decade plus, has been the Broncos. If the Buffs become a contending P12 team, the state will respond, just like we do when the Rockies, Avs or Nuggets are really good. I have a friend that absolutely hates CU (Big CSU and Nub fan since he was a little kid), that told me over the weekend he is getting to the point where he is actually rooting for CU to be good again, so college football can become relevant in CO. I doubt he is the only person thinking like this.

Colorado is a football state and the only relevant football that's been played here the past decade plus, has been the Broncos. If the Buffs become a contending P12 team, the state will respond, just like we do when the Rockies, Avs or Nuggets are really good. I have a friend that absolutely hates CU (Big CSU and Nub fan since he was a little kid), that told me over the weekend he is getting to the point where he is actually rooting for CU to be good again, so college football can become relevant in CO. I doubt he is the only person thinking like this.
Even the Broncos lost support during the down years. People don't seem to remember how empty that stadium was during the McDip**** years.

Even the Broncos lost support during the down years. People don't seem to remember how empty that stadium was during the McDip**** years.

This is a state that will go nuts for winners....you are correct that the average fan falls off during the rough times here

and the stunning vistas!

12451163.jpg
Yukon High School's Miller Stadium? This looks like an average Oklahoma 6A-1 stadium. This would be a poor 5A stadium in Texas. THERE IS NO WAY TEXAS OR OU WILL LET A PEASANT SCHOOL LIKE THIS INTO THE BIG12.

I think something would have to happen to a number of Schools in line to move conferences before CSU would get the call. I honestly could care less either way.

As mentioned above, CSU can't get fans in Denver to pay attention to them now. Maybe that would change with a Big 12 invite? To say they have a significant market share in Denver is as laughable as the Colorado Mammoth saying the same thing.

I think that is a fairly large exaggeration... There may have been some empty seats at the stadium but the Broncos were stilling selling all their tickets. Officially in 2010 the Broncos actual attendance was 599,000 versus 615,000 in 2015 so they had about 2000 no shows per game when they were bad.

I think the next 10 years, with the tightening control of the P5 conferences, will see several teams drop to FCS. TV money is already drying up for them and will only get worse.

I think we'll see some sort of split in FBS. Actually, I don't know why the divisions are listed the way they are.

To simplify what I'm trying to say about what I think will happen eventually I'll use Division A on down.

Division A = 64 P5 teams in 4 conferences of 16 teams each that play in 4-team playoff at the end of the year
Division B = Current G5 teams (maybe with additions from top of FCS) with their own playoff
Division C = Rest of current FCS
Division D = Current D2
Division E = Current D3

I think we'll see some sort of split in FBS. Actually, I don't know why the divisions are listed the way they are.

To simplify what I'm trying to say about what I think will happen eventually I'll use Division A on down.

Division A = 64 P5 teams in 4 conferences of 16 teams each that play in 4-team playoff at the end of the year
Division B = Current G5 teams (maybe with additions from top of FCS) with their own playoff
Division D = Current D2
Division E = Current D3
I think that B & C will combine and the shakeout will be more teams in D.

Division D = Current D2
Division E = Current D3
I think that B & C will combine and the shakeout will be more teams in D.

I think these are pretty realistic ideas of where it goes. We may see a few current P5 teams drop into B and even a couple of the B teams move up but it will be the schools that are willing to spend the money needed to run with the big dogs. It may involve some or all of the current conferences disolving and then conferences re-forming to force out those schools who can't/don't compete financially but who don't want to give up their share of the money.

As Superior says there will then be a filtering of the rest as well. The B schools may also settle on some roster, coaching, and spending limits that fall someplace between current G5 and FCS norms such as a 70 scholarship limit and 1-2 fewer coaching positions than the Division A schools.

Something is going to have to happen, the cost of playing FBS football continues to rise but the schools on the top are getting more media revenue that some entire conferences on the bottom, for many of these schools continuing to play FBS football is simply not sustainable.

Division D = Current D2
Division E = Current D3
That makes a ton of sense...which means the NCAA won't consider it :ROFLMAO:

That makes a ton of sense...which means the NCAA won't consider it :ROFLMAO:

This won't be an NCAA decision, it will be the schools themselves. There is a strong movement to get a handle on tuition increases, public funding of higher ed is stagnant or in some cases declining. When a school is dumping millions of dollars into a football program that doesn't win, has a limited audience, and has no realistic chance of competing for the top prizes then eventually the administrators are going to look at alternatives. Once a couple schools make the move then the floodgates could suddenly open.

Just spoke with UT.

They would consider accepting the Broncos into the Big-12, even though Mile High Sports Authority Investco whatever stadium is only 3/4 the capacity of Darrell Royal Memorial.

The other football programs in the state of Colorado are dumpster fires that don't bring in $$$$ and therefore can go pound sand.

Back