What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Perspective on CSU's Claims to the Denver Market

Reality is tough sometimes. They got the taxpayers to put a shiny new stadium on campus, and now they are hit with the reality that other programs have a bit more cache. The reality of the past decade of CU football has been tough for me. I hope that when CSU gets passed over on this round, no politicians do anything crazy.

One thing they are right about, every big 12 fan I talk to misses coming to Boulder.

I suspect if we were in their shoes, we'd be doing and saying the same kind of things.
CSU has one chance at relevancy, and they know it. Can't blame them for taking every positive angle possible, regardless of likelihood.

One thing they are right about, every big 12 fan I talk to misses coming to Boulder.

That's not the story I consistently get. The other side of B12 sentiment is:

1) No take-backs. CU still a dumpster fire and revenue didn't get worse when the Buffs left
2) Reputation as a dirty program lingers (5th down, rape allegations, institutional control)
3) Not a college football crazy part of the country as seen by <40,000 fans coming to a tiny 52,000 stadium

That's not the story I consistently get. The other side of B12 sentiment is:

1) No take-backs. CU still a dumpster fire and revenue didn't get worse when the Buffs left
2) Reputation as a dirty program lingers (5th down, rape allegations, institutional control)
3) Not a college football crazy part of the country as seen by <40,000 fans coming to a tiny 52,000 stadium
To a degree, those folks are right. Our football team is a dumpster fire. Of course, you're getting that from UT fans, who have their own issues to deal with. Glass houses and all that.

We can talk about Webb, lots of good new info there. How about that great 4* recruit who just commited this weekend. Lots of other schools swooping in to grab our assistants since they have done such a great job, lots of guys lining up though to join the staff.

It's the friggin off-season, what else do we talk about. Nobody willing to step up and run a UHC, beer thread has run it's course as have the movie and music threads.

We could rehash PAC12 expansion again, the merits of the star system, how about recruiting territories, maybe even do another thread about returning to the wishbone.

GIA hasn't even been around to save us.
GIA can't even save himself! UBL?

I don't think they know what "exponentially" means.

Exponent of 1/2 maybe.

Colorado (the state) would need ~ 1 million more residents before CSU as the second P5 school in Colorado becomes as viable as Washington State. And Wazzu isn't exactly the top of the P5 in support or funding.

Exponent of 1/2 maybe.

Colorado (the state) would need ~ 1 million more residents before CSU as the second P5 school in Colorado becomes as viable as Washington State. And Wazzu isn't exactly the top of the P5 in support or funding.
If you go strictly by population size in state, sure.

However, I think this is a poor comparison. Pullman is WAY the hell out there, barely even in Washington, and only has about 30K residents, whereas Ft. Collins is just about an hour drive from Denver and has about 150K residents. I'm sure that your average Seattleite doesn't give two ****s about WSU except during Apple Cup week.

There are other western states with smaller populations and lower population density that support 2 P5 programs: Oregon, Iowa, and Kansas are three, and you can almost argue Utah since BYU is counted as a P5 foe by some conferences for scheduling purposes.

The problem for CSU (and CU, for that matter) is market saturation. NONE of those other states have teams in the big 4 professional leagues with which they have to compete.

If you go strictly by population size in state, sure.

However, I think this is a poor comparison. Pullman is WAY the hell out there, barely even in Washington, and only has about 30K residents, whereas Ft. Collins is just about an hour drive from Denver and has about 150K residents. I'm sure that your average Seattleite doesn't give two ****s about WSU except during Apple Cup week.

There are other western states with smaller populations and lower population density that support 2 P5 programs: Oregon, Iowa, and Kansas are three, and you can almost argue Utah since BYU is counted as a P5 foe by some conferences for scheduling purposes.

The problem for CSU (and CU, for that matter) is market saturation. NONE of those other states have teams in the big 4 professional leagues with which they have to compete.

The failing in this line of thinking is comparing schools that are already in the P5 vs. schools that want to get in.

It is easy to name a list of schools that are only P5 schools because they got into conferences before the current financial push happened. If all conferences were disolved, historical ties disregarded, and we started again Its hard to see Washington State being included, Iowa State would be out, probably Vandy would have no shot, some others as well.

Once into a conference though unless the conference completely dissolves schools don't get kicked out. Had CSU taken the steps that @sackman described earlier and got themselves into what became the Big 7/8 they wouldn't be worried, they would be part of the club barring a decision by the school to simply not participate, and the money would make that very hard to do. Like Iowa State or Kansas or Illinois and some others they would be the preferred homecoming opponent for lots of schools because they would be the bottom feeder but they would be in to stay.

The failing in this line of thinking is comparing schools that are already in the P5 vs. schools that want to get in.

It is easy to name a list of schools that are only P5 schools because they got into conferences before the current financial push happened. If all conferences were disolved, historical ties disregarded, and we started again Its hard to see Washington State being included, Iowa State would be out, probably Vandy would have no shot, some others as well.

Once into a conference though unless the conference completely dissolves schools don't get kicked out. Had CSU taken the steps that @sackman described earlier and got themselves into what became the Big 7/8 they wouldn't be worried, they would be part of the club barring a decision by the school to simply not participate, and the money would make that very hard to do. Like Iowa State or Kansas or Illinois and some others they would be the preferred homecoming opponent for lots of schools because they would be the bottom feeder but they would be in to stay.
That's a good point as well, and I wish that CSU had been proactive about this. I, for one, am rooting for CSU to get to P5 status because it will be better for our resume when we routinely crush them.

Yep - there are plenty of schools that will be grandfathered in that don't deserve it, at least if you look at TV markets, etc. Them's just the breaks for a place like CSU - and KSU and ISU if the Big 12 implodes. It might not be fair, but it is what it is.

There is no big UCONN audience in NYC!! NYC is a hodgepodge of people from all over the world. UCONN is a world away in so many ways.

There is no big UCONN audience in NYC!! NYC is a hodgepodge of people from all over the world. UCONN is a world away in so many ways.
Basketball wise they do. College football just isn't that big up there but I definitely disagree about their presence in NYC. Definitely bigger than Rutgers.

BYU to a conference composed of predominately R1 schools I would guess is a nonstarter, although if some conference were to do it, I'd guess it would be the big 12.

CSU grads don't seem to care that much about CSU football. But I'd be careful about throwing too many stones; their butts-in-seats percentage of the total seats available at their home games is probably close to being the same as CU's has been lately. Other than the Broncos, Colorado sports fans are pretty much front-runners on both the college and pro levels. I remember when the Avs were a very tough ticket...

CSU grads don't seem to care that much about CSU football. But I'd be careful about throwing too many stones; their butts-in-seats percentage of the total seats available at their home games is probably close to being the same as CU's has been lately. Other than the Broncos, Colorado sports fans are pretty much front-runners on both the college and pro levels. I remember when the Avs were a very tough ticket...

Have you done the math on this butts in seats theory? And why is a 70% capacity at Hughes even material to a 70% capacity at Folsom?

Success is best measured by the revenue from tickets, donations, and networks.

You are in fact wrong. The only year in the last decade they have been equal or slightly more was 2014 for a 10 Win team that beat CU. 2013 they were around 60% for a ****ing bowl team. Their finale in 2013 and 2015 was less 40% I believe.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

That all said on-campus excitement and Big XII would fill the stadium.

You are in fact wrong. The only year in the last decade they have been equal or slightly more was 2014 for a 10 Win team that beat CU. 2013 they were around 60% for a ****ing bowl team. Their finale in 2013 and 2015 was less 40% I believe.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-football-attendance

That all said on-campus excitement and Big XII would fill the stadium.

Bold has yet to be proven and history at both CSU and other schools would say that idea is for the most part wrong.

Yes they would get a bump but their home attendance now with a bowl team is running well under 20k paid per game. This is even with ticket prices well below those of CU and of the norm for P5 programs. Not only are they not selling tickets but they aren't making a lot of revenue on the ones they sell.

Most schools building new stadiums and those who have made the jump to a power conference have seen an immediate attendance bump usually below 20% which then sees declines back towards their historical levels. Even if CSU got a 25% bump from the new on campus stadium and they got an additional 25% bump from joining a major conference (a combination which is so unlikely it would set modern day records for increase) that would still leave them below 30k per game.

Not numbers that are likely to impress potential conference leaders.

Bold has yet to be proven and history at both CSU and other schools would say that idea is for the most part wrong.

Yes they would get a bump but their home attendance now with a bowl team is running well under 20k paid per game. This is even with ticket prices well below those of CU and of the norm for P5 programs. Not only are they not selling tickets but they aren't making a lot of revenue on the ones they sell.

Most schools building new stadiums and those who have made the jump to a power conference have seen an immediate attendance bump usually below 20% which then sees declines back towards their historical levels. Even if CSU got a 25% bump from the new on campus stadium and they got an additional 25% bump from joining a major conference (a combination which is so unlikely it would set modern day records for increase) that would still leave them below 30k per game.

Not numbers that are likely to impress potential conference leaders.
All you say is fair but our ambivalence towards the impact a new stadium on their tiny little campus will sell out the new stadium year 1 regardless of conference. Especially after a 4th straight year bowling.

All you say is fair but our ambivalence towards the impact a new stadium on their tiny little campus will sell out the new stadium year 1 regardless of conference. Especially after a 4th straight year bowling.

Did you catch CSU's last bowl game on TV? Me neither.

Heard the school lost money on that trip to Tucson to play Nevada.

History would say no, it won't happen.

Back