What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU petitions to let Callahan play

s'ok, it's all up to 'Jill' to keep us outta trouble...

Jill Keegan Interim Director of Compliance/Rules Education

Sonny boy, lemme tell you a little story about a guy named Jeremy Bloom...

Once I finish that, I'll tell you a story about how CU got put on probation for an infraction that was identical to something that happened at Ohio State, who got no penalty whatsoever.

Or how Marcus Houston transferred to CSU and played immediately?

Man if only we had those scholarships from foodgate, probably be three to four NCs deep by now.

Man if only we had those scholarships from foodgate, probably be three to four NCs deep by now.

Of course, that's not the point. The point is that we got busted while OSU had nothing at all happen to them. All for the exact same infraction. But, I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Of course, that's not the point. The point is that we got busted while OSU had nothing at all happen to them. All for the exact same infraction. But, I'm pretty sure you knew that.

Bolded:

A bit of both. Ohio State delayed on reporting and by the time the NCAA was ready to rule the NCAA decided this was a stupid rule, changed it, and said the statute of limitations had run out.

The CU penalty was CU's own fault for basically doing the equivalent of running into the police station and filling out a written statement that they had jay walked 5 times while both understanding and accepting the penalties for jay walking.

Let's not play the victim card on this one. It was CU's own bungling administration and failure to recognize how the game is played (and failure to protect its football program) that resulted in the penalty.

And yes, I am well aware of the Bloom situation. That still doesn't make me think the NCAA is against CU. Do I think that some schools get preferential treatment over others (Bama, Oregon, etc.)? Absolutely, but anything else is pushing it.

Ringo thinks Callahan has a good chance at his waiver. Which probably means he won't get it.

Bolded:

And yes, I am well aware of the Bloom situation. That still doesn't make me think the NCAA is against CU. Do I think that some schools get preferential treatment over others (Bama, Oregon, etc.)? Absolutely, but anything else is pushing it.

It's not so much they're against CU, as willing to enforce against a D1 to show muscle, versus looking the other way against other programs.

It's not so much they're against CU, as willing to enforce against a D1 to show muscle, versus looking the other way against other programs.

Some schools play the game. No subpoena power for the NCAA. So unless they've got you dead to rights you tell them nothing. You also, if possible, re-direct a football penalty toward other programs that don't make you money by doing a back room deal. And, if a penalty does come down, you appeal to buy time and get a lesser penalty. Then, you plow extra resources into your football program so that the penalty ends up helping you (recruiting data shows that being under a reduced scholarship penalty helps a football program recruit a better class of player -- scarcity of scholarships makes the offer more valuable to a recruit).

Does anything in the preceding paragraph sound like CU athletics? Nope. And this is the real reason that CU hasn't gotten "favorable treatment" from the NCAA. You make your own breaks in this world.

Some schools play the game. No subpoena power for the NCAA. So unless they've got you dead to rights you tell them nothing. You also, if possible, re-direct a football penalty toward other programs that don't make you money by doing a back room deal. And, if a penalty does come down, you appeal to buy time and get a lesser penalty. Then, you plow extra resources into your football program so that the penalty ends up helping you (recruiting data shows that being under a reduced scholarship penalty helps a football program recruit a better class of player -- scarcity of scholarships makes the offer more valuable to a recruit).

Does anything in the preceding paragraph sound like CU athletics? Nope. And this is the real reason that CU hasn't gotten "favorable treatment" from the NCAA. You make your own breaks in this world.

Don't forget that back in the day, Lil Dickie Tharp was university counsel and got favorable treatment and a decent outcome on some of Mac's staff transgressions, by doing the full-disclosure, full-doc dump routine on the NCAA, which at the time was severely understaffed, with no legal people and had no way to even understand what Dick was up to.

Once that worked in CU's favor, that became the MO for CU in dealing with an ever-more sophisticated NCAA. They need to change the mindset up there, in view of the change in times and philosophy!

I think you just stated the underlying logic, backing up my statement. The NCAA knows who they can go after.

If this guy is eligible immediately (have no idea why), then Callahan's appeal should be a slam dunk.

Former Texas A&M defensive end Gavin Stansbury plans to transfer to Houston and will be eligible to play immediately, a person with knowledge of Stansbury’s plans said.Stansbury was dismissed from Texas A&M on July 21 by coach Kevin Sumlin for “personal issues.”
In April, Stansbury was arrested and charged in Harris County with misdemeanor assault after a Rice University student accused him of pouring beer on the student’s head and punching him in the face. Stansbury’s attorney has said the charge is a case of mistaken identity.

Stansbury, a 6-4, 257-pound senior from Franklin, La., played in 10 games with A&M last season and had 47 tackles and 3 sacks.

Keenan (not "Keegan") was the DA in the Simpson matter

Dear Mary had a serious part in both: She vowed that those football types would be smashed for assaulting our gurlz in the Simpson farce and as DA she issued a blanket "exoneration" of Jon Benet's family of any wrong doing, including murder; an act without basis in law or fact.

In short, she is the worst DA ever in Boulder history. Shows how corrupt the system is, that she wasn't disbarred for her extra-legal act in the Jon Benet case.

Back