What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Schedule & RPI Rating

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
The RPI Rating is used by the NCAA tournament selection committee as part of the evaluation process for seeding of teams and choice of "bubble" teams.

The RPI formula works like this:

25% of your RPI score is your winning % against Division 1 teams
50% of your RPI score is your strength of schedule
25% of your RPI score is your opponents' strength of schedule

While I understand the need for CU to schedule for wins, there also needs to be some intelligence put to the scheduling.

Wins over programs like Colorado Christian do nothing to help our RPI.

Also, wins against D1 programs that finish outside the RPI 100 do little to help our score.

While I agree that priority #1 with CU basketball has got to be that we have winning seasons, Mike Bohn needs to keep in mind that a loss to Michigan State does more for your RPI than a win over Yale. Further, wins over bad programs from power conferences help your score a lot because those team play strong schedules (win + opponent schedule is 50% of formula).

Besides, it helps attendance. I guarantee that a home game against a poor team from a big conference (Georgia, for example) would draw better than a team like Coppin State.

This is a great thing to keep in mind for the future. Right now, I don't think we are going to be a "bubble" team, so it is important to get some wins recorded and boost the team confidence. We have looked good so far, but we will see how the conference play turns out. We could be a dangerous team next year with some solid upper classmen and hopefully some productive youngsters. That may be the year to concentrate on your RPI for a possible NCAA or NIT bid.

Thanks for posting the formula, though, I have always wondered.

This is a great thing to keep in mind for the future. Right now, I don't think we are going to be a "bubble" team, so it is important to get some wins recorded and boost the team confidence. We have looked good so far, but we will see how the conference play turns out. We could be a dangerous team next year with some solid upper classmen and hopefully some productive youngsters. That may be the year to concentrate on your RPI for a possible NCAA or NIT bid.

Thanks for posting the formula, though, I have always wondered.
That.

Billie Gillespie rode astronomical OOC RPI's straight into the NCAA tournament at ATM. his first few years, they were 11-1 going into conference play seemingly every year having feasted on the ATM-Kingsville and Sam Houston States of the world. that would be an exception imo, however.

even though "the committee" started to downplay the importance of RPI at least publicly when guys like Jerry Palm and even the cretinous Joe Lunardi were predicting the field once "the formula" got out....i'd still say you have to schedule with it in mind.

a mix of cupcake W's, as few 300+ rpi teams as possible, solid mid-majors, 2-3 legit power conference teams and at least one big-time program.

it's also my opinion (and oft-posted) that the OOC needs to improve to get fans in the gym before the 2nd week in January.

Billie Gillespie rode astronomical OOC RPI's straight into the NCAA tournament at ATM. his first few years, they were 11-1 going into conference play seemingly every year having feasted on the ATM-Kingsville and Sam Houston States of the world. that would be an exception imo, however.

even though "the committee" started to downplay the importance of RPI at least publicly when guys like Jerry Palm and even the cretinous Joe Lunardi were predicting the field once "the formula" got out....i'd still say you have to schedule with it in mind.

a mix of cupcake W's, as few 300+ rpi teams as possible, solid mid-majors, 2-3 legit power conference teams and at least one big-time program.

it's also my opinion (and oft-posted) that the OOC needs to improve to get fans in the gym before the 2nd week in January.

But they also did pretty well in conference play if I'm not mistaken and ended up with some high-quality wins against the like of OU, UT, and KU.

For RPI and selection purposes, the Gonzaga game will be considered a "good loss". Under 10 points on a neutral site to a top 30 team. If we can follow it up tomorrow with a win against the Arizona/Wisconsin loser, we'll be looking very good. I hate to lose, but I'm proud of out team for today and I love the direction of the program.

Back