What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU season ticket policy idea - court sports

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
What would you all think if they offered a MBB-WBB-VB season ticket that was less expensive than buying all 3 separately and got you the same reserved seat(s) for all 3 programs?

The biggest issue with it I'd see is the logistics since you wouldn't want to bump anyone out of their current seats if a fan had them for only 1 of the sports currently and someone else wanted to buy the Court Sport package.

Spitballing here. Maybe the "same seats" part would need to be dropped and it would be normal seat selection for each. But I think I'd like the discount opportunity and I think enough people would take advantage that it would lead to more overall revenue, larger crowds, and increased fan engagement for all 3.

I think it’s a great idea. Seat choices would open and improve over time. Eligible year one for any seat available all 3 sports. Build priority as single sports ticket holders now out.

I would suggest a minimum use threshold of attendance to maintain seating priority.

I think it’s a great idea. Seat choices would open and improve over time. Eligible year one for any seat available all 3 sports. Build priority as single sports ticket holders now out.

I would suggest a minimum use threshold of attendance to maintain seating priority.
I think what you're getting at would require that CU stop reporting "attendance" as tickets distributed and rather by turnstile count. I don't think that's happening -- we'd be possibly the only D1 school to do so.

I think what you're getting at would require that CU stop reporting "attendance" as tickets distributed and rather by turnstile count. I don't think that's happening -- we'd be possibly the only D1 school to do so.
Why would it require that? It would still legitimately be the number of tickets sold for each event.

Why would it require that? It would still legitimately be the number of tickets sold for each event.ayb
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something one of you is saying.

You're premise in the OP was selling a package of season tickets to the three sports.

Using the current model of reporting attendance by tickets distributed, a person buying that package has 100% attendance for MBB WBB and VB, even if they never actually enter the CUEC all year. They're attendance would be perfect and there'd be no impediment to maintaining priority.

@BuffHerd was suggesting was suggesting "use" as a measure to "maintain seating priority".

If I'm following both of you, that'd require tracking attendance by turnstile count (ie. 'use') and not by distribution of tickets.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something one of you is saying.

You're premise in the OP was selling a package of season tickets to the three sports.

Using the current model of reporting attendance by tickets distributed, a person buying that package has 100% attendance for MBB WBB and VB, even if they never actually enter the CUEC all year. They're attendance would be perfect and there'd be no impediment to maintaining priority.

@BuffHerd was suggesting was suggesting "use" as a measure to "maintain seating priority".

If I'm following both of you, that'd require tracking attendance by turnstile count (ie. 'use') and not by distribution of tickets.
How's that any different than now? It's just that someone chose to buy season tix to 3 sports. Why does it matter more in this scenario whether someone attends every game? I'm honestly confused about what the issue is that you're seeing being created here.

Last edited:
What would you all think if they offered a MBB-WBB-VB season ticket that was less expensive than buying all 3 separately and got you the same reserved seat(s) for all 3 programs?

The biggest issue with it I'd see is the logistics since you wouldn't want to bump anyone out of their current seats if a fan had them for only 1 of the sports currently and someone else wanted to buy the Court Sport package.

Spitballing here. Maybe the "same seats" part would need to be dropped and it would be normal seat selection for each. But I think I'd like the discount opportunity and I think enough people would take advantage that it would lead to more overall revenue, larger crowds, and increased fan engagement for all 3.

Good idea. I could see either season tix, or maybe something along the lines of a ticket package where you get a certain amount of games for each team.

I could see it building revenues and building fan support for the women's programs.

They way you explained it it would be a set price for all three.

Look at it this way though. MBB at the regular season ticket price. WBB at a $100 discount and VB at a $75 dollar discount.

Thus MBB revenue stays the same and some of those ticket holders would already have WBB and/or VB so that would lower revenue but many more would now buy the women's sports who didn't before.

Where this gets interesting is that many of these people buy with the intention of going to games but know they won't make all of them. A certain amount of these tickets get handed on to people who normally wouldn't go to the games. At a minimum in addition to the added ticket revenue these people are buying concessions. More than a few of them may decide that this is a fun way to spend an evening and end up in the future as ticket buyers

How's that any different than now? It's just that someone chose to buy season tix to 3 sports. Why does it matter more in this scenario whether someone attends every game? I'm honestly confused about what the issue is that you're seeing being created here.
I'm the situation you described in the OP, it doesn't.

But you questioned me about my response to Herd's suggestion of "use" to maintain seating priority. In that context, use is a different metric than tickets distributed -- unless I'm misunderstanding them.

I'm the situation you described in the OP, it doesn't.

But you questioned me about my response to Herd's suggestion of "use" to maintain seating priority. In that context, use is a different metric than tickets distributed -- unless I'm misunderstanding them.
Regardless of use the tickets would be sold, granted at a discount but there would be revenue assigned to each.

Ticket's distributed includes tickets given away that do not have revenue assigned to them. Actual attendance excludes tickets distributed including tickets sold that are not scanned upon entry and thus unused.

Makes a difference in public appearance (Nubs and their "sellout" streak with excess tickets "sold" to boosters in blocks for a couple of dollars per seat.)

Also makes a difference in advertising revenue for the venue because advertising is sold based on attendance numbers based on tickets sold.

Regardless of use the tickets would be sold, granted at a discount but there would be revenue assigned to each.

Ticket's distributed includes tickets given away that do not have revenue assigned to them. Actual attendance excludes tickets distributed including tickets sold that are not scanned upon entry and thus unused.

Makes a difference in public appearance (Nubs and their "sellout" streak with excess tickets "sold" to boosters in blocks for a couple of dollars per seat.)

Also makes a difference in advertising revenue for the venue because advertising is sold based on attendance numbers based on tickets sold.
All true. All unrelated to the point I was discussing with Nik re: Herd's proposal.

Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I would probably buy that assuming it wasnt significantly more, probably pay $100/seat more to get it?

I question how much value consumers perceive in having the same seat for every event. Would this be significant for someone who doesn't have really great seats?

I know WBB and volleyball fans who have had the same seats since season tickets have been sold and will not want to give them up.

WBB started selling season tickets in the 93-94 season and there are still fans that have the seats they selected that season.

Volleyball has had season tickets longer than that and there are probably a few fans who feel the same way since they don't sell as many tickets as basketball.

When I had volleyball tickets, you could not have pried them away from me. Row 9 right at the net. Can't have it. I once kicked Bill McCartney out of my seat.

I question how much value consumers perceive in having the same seat for every event. Would this be significant for someone who doesn't have really great seats?

the idea of someone sitting way up and far away from the crowd for WBB or VB is sort of funny

I like Rumblin's idea of a CUEC membership. will be interesting to see how WBB ticket sales improve this season with a high-ranked team – Okie State was the highest attended non-con game ever at nearly 4,000. objectively speaking, we should probably prioritize ideas that increase funding and attendance for MBB above all other court sports (as much as that sucks when wanting more equality)

Last edited:
Back