What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU sells a record 5,000 basketball season tickets

Plus, if our basketball team sucked, it would shine the light of upsetness more directly upon the football team. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we're selling season tickets like crazy, and will likely have a near full CEC for most games this year. That's great stuff and I'm not complaining. I do think that it's indirectly hurting the football program, though. I think there would be a more pronounced sense of urgency to fix the problems with the football team if the basketball team couldn't get out of it's own way.
could you imagine if we still had a doormat basketball program? talk about depressing.

could you imagine if we still had a doormat basketball program? talk about depressing.

Unthinkable. The basketball program is what keeps my buff-ness alive. Without Tad and the basketball team, it would be hard for me to care about CU at all.

You know, Sacky, I sometimes think you´d be quite happy if CU football was the only show in the state and there were no pro teams in the state or other college teams doing well ...

You know, Sacky, I sometimes think you´d be quite happy if CU football was the only show in the state and there were no pro teams in the state or other college teams doing well ...

You don't have to think it sometimes. I do feel that way. Not that I want the basketball team to fail. Not in the least. I want all CU teams to be winners. However, it wouldn't bother me in the least if there were no pro teams or other colleges in the area.

Basketball gives us a lot of justification to say:

1. Building facilities works
2. Keeping politics out of hiring and letting the AD do his job works

The success of the basketball team may be the biggest enemy of the football program. Tad was the third choice among the three finalists for the job. He was the cheapest, so he was hired. It turned out to be a brilliant hire. Hiring the cheapest guy and hoping he turns out to be one of the best coaches in the country is not a solid long term strategy for success.

While I understand your position, it is a bit misguided. The biggest enemy of the football program is not the success of the basketball program. The University Administration is the biggest enemy of the football program. Their complete failure to provide proper support and direction for CU football is why we are in this mess. At almost every self-respecting BCS school, the success of one major sport would only create more urgency for another major sport that is underperforming to step up to the plate. All that the basketball program does here is allow the administration a place to hide behind to avoid questions on how they have failed with the football program.

While I understand your position, it is a bit misguided. The biggest enemy of the football program is not the success of the basketball program. The University Administration is the biggest enemy of the football program. Their complete failure to provide proper support and direction for CU football is why we are in this mess. At almost every self-respecting BCS school, the success of one major sport would only create more urgency for another major sport that is underperforming to step up to the plate. All that the basketball program does here is allow the administration a place to hide behind to avoid questions on how they have failed with the football program.

Fair enough. I could re-state my position to be something along the lines of "the biggest enemy of the football program is the perception that it's easy to fall into a winner without much effort". We got incredibly lucky with Tad. I can't imagine what we'd be like if we'd hired Dunlap or McLean. Nothing against those guys, but I honestly don't think we'd be in as good a position now with either of them running things. That breeds the attitude - with the administration - that all you need is a little luck to be a winner.

Fair enough. I could re-state my position to be something along the lines of "the biggest enemy of the football program is the perception that it's easy to fall into a winner without much effort". We got incredibly lucky with Tad. I can't imagine what we'd be like if we'd hired Dunlap or McLean. Nothing against those guys, but I honestly don't think we'd be in as good a position now with either of them running things. That breeds the attitude - with the administration - that all you need is a little luck to be a winner.

How so? He seemed to be the least favorite candidate of the fans during the hiring process and Bohn made the right/unpopular hire. Maybe we can luck into a football hire this time :rollseyes:

How so? He seemed to be the least favorite candidate of the fans during the hiring process and Bohn made the right hire. Maybe we can luck into a football hire this time :rollseyes:

That's my point. If you had asked 100 CU fans to rank the three finalists, Tad's name would have been at the bottom of 90 lists.

That's my point. If you had asked 100 CU fans to rank the three finalists, Tad's name would have been at the bottom of 90 lists.
Is that because his name wasn't well known (despite what he did at UNC) or for some other reason?

I just don't see how that is luck... since he was obviously #1 on Bohn's list.

Do you mean we are lucky to have him or it was luck that he is good? If it's the former than disregard my comments

I am not really sure where this is going. So in football CU hired the cheap popular hire and it didn't work out, but in basketball CU hired the cheap unpopular hire and it did?

I'll admit it, Coach Boyle was third on my initial list:
http://rumblinbuff.blogspot.com/2010/04/dont-blame-bz-cus-fine-on-its-own.html

To my credit, though, at the time of hiring, I agreed with it:
http://rumblinbuff.blogspot.com/2010/04/bdc-has-tad-boyle-as-next-cu-mens.html

I totally agree with your thoughts in those columns Rumblin, but is is amazing how a couple of years and success can change our perceptions. We were so worried about keeping what we had rather then building for the future. By all accounts we all thought Burks was out the door if McClain wasn't hired, this was short sighted thinking by the fans. How and why we thought hiring a coach who was fired at Wyoming in order to keep Burks for 1 year before going pro was a good idea I don't know (I was in this camp, i thought CU should have hired McClain too). As for Dunlap (even though he somehow is now a NBA head coach) this would have been equal to a Dave Logan hire, appeased some fans because of local success and name recognition but was he really the guy?

I am not really sure where this is going. So in football CU hired the cheap popular hire and it didn't work out, but in basketball CU hired the cheap unpopular hire and it did?

I must not be making myself clear. I'll re-state in a different way: My fear is that the administration will look at the success the basketball team is having and come to the conclusion that hiring a good coach comes easily. Tad kind of fell into our laps. Yes, he had a relationship with Bohn, and that's probably why he's here. Had he not had that relationship, we could have hired somebody else. We got lucky that the guy that fell into our laps happened to also have a relationship with Bohn AND also turned out to be a really, really good coach. What were the chances of that happening? Slim, if you ask me. I'm worried that will become the standard by which we conduct our football coaching search - assuming we actually conduct a coaching search.

I also don't think Bohn or anybody else for that matter ever thought the basketball program would be this good. I think Bohn thought Boyle was a solid coach who could win a few more games than he lost and that would be good enough. Boyle has turned out to be light years better than anybody expected, in spite of what he did at UNC.

I must not be making myself clear. I'll re-state in a different way: My fear is that the administration will look at the success the basketball team is having and come to the conclusion that hiring a good coach comes easily. Tad kind of fell into our laps. Yes, he had a relationship with Bohn, and that's probably why he's here. Had he not had that relationship, we could have hired somebody else. We got lucky that the guy that fell into our laps happened to also have a relationship with Bohn AND also turned out to be a really, really good coach. What were the chances of that happening? Slim, if you ask me. I'm worried that will become the standard by which we conduct our football coaching search - assuming we actually conduct a coaching search.
Just out of curiosity, if Bohn is fired, which won't happen, is Tad more open to pursue other options?

got ya, now i see where you were going. Makes sense and totally agree.

I also don't think Bohn or anybody else for that matter ever thought the basketball program would be this good. I think Bohn thought Boyle was a solid coach who could win a few more games than he lost and that would be good enough. Boyle has turned out to be light years better than anybody expected, in spite of what he did at UNC.

While I don't think Bohn thought CU would be this good, I do think he hired Boyle to build on what Bz had started to do, it just turned out way better than anybody expected......Basketball School

Absolutely agree. Being above .500 overall, middle of the Pac-12, making the NIT some years and an occasional NCAA berth would have been just fine for Bohn. JMHO.

Absolutely agree. Being above .500 overall, middle of the Pac-12, making the NIT some years and an occasional NCAA berth would have been just fine for Bohn. JMHO.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, because you are describing exactly what we are right now. I completely believe this is changing under Boyle, but only time will tell.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves, because you are describing exactly what we are right now. I completely believe this is changing under Boyle, but only time will tell.

sorry can you repeat that? I couldn't hear because my ears were ringing.

640x360_Screen_Shot_2012-10-15_at_3.01.31_PM_1350348550.jpg

Uhhh, we just won a conference title and made the NCAA Third Round. How Boyle's tenure ultimately plays out remains to be seen. However, we are certainly more than just a plodding, occasional NIT team. Our recruiting says it all. This is NOT what Bohn had in mind.

sorry can you repeat that? I couldn't hear because my ears were ringing.

640x360_Screen_Shot_2012-10-15_at_3.01.31_PM_1350348550.jpg

Uhhh, we just won a conference title and made the NCAA Third Round. How Boyle's tenure ultimately plays out remains to be seen. However, we are certainly more than just a plodding, occasional NIT team. Our recruiting says it all. This is NOT what Bohn had in mind.

Read the quote again: Being above .500 overall, middle of the Pac-12, making the NIT some years and an occasional NCAA berth would have been just fine for Bohn.

What have we been under Boyle? We have one NIT berth and one NCAA berth. We WERE a middle of the Pac 12 team last year in case you forgot. Like I said, I absolutely think that we are on a steep upward trajectory. But we have a long ways to go before we are firmly entrenched as really good.

Read the quote again: Being above .500 overall, middle of the Pac-12, making the NIT some years and an occasional NCAA berth would have been just fine for Bohn.

What have we been under Boyle? We have one NIT berth and one NCAA berth. We WERE a middle of the Pac 12 team last year in case you forgot. Like I said, I absolutely think that we are on a steep upward trajectory. But we have a long ways to go before we are firmly entrenched as really good.

We're conference champions, in case you forgot. 48 wins in 2 seasons is not a mediocre, plodding team that occasionally does enough to make the NIT and rarely makes the Dance. Considering the epic robbery of the Dance in 2011, the case is even clearer. You can try and play with words all you want, but it's obvious that Bohn would be content with 16,17,18 win seasons scraping just above .500, far below the level we're currently at and where our current trajectory is aimed. We are clearly above his expectations.

Last edited:
Back