What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU sending Top 50 Student Fans to the Pac-12 Tournament

you are a bad fan
f0afd778-3920-4f0a-8c32-431bea7fb73e.jpg

Last edited:
I would have been a lock for this when I was in school, i'm insanely jealous of the kids who get to go... I'll also be out there for the Pac12 tourney don't worry Rumblin, we can kick it. This is one of the coolest things ever though, the AD got it right on this one.

I would have been a lock for this when I was in school, i'm insanely jealous of the kids who get to go... I'll also be out there for the Pac12 tourney don't worry Rumblin, we can kick it. This is one of the coolest things ever though, the AD got it right on this one.

Tzisk you know some people down there. How many people do you think made it to every game?

The effect that this is going to have on future student sections cannot be understated. The ad did something incredible here, and it is only going to increase student support. I know we have discussed the need to move/enalarge the student section, well the need may actually be there within two years, especially of this becomes an annual event. Huge props to mike bohn, this was a great idea.

Was really fired up when I saw this last night. Finally the university acts like it recognizes that athletics play a part in image, and can be an asset for the school. Incredibly cool for those of you who are still students. For those of us who aren't it will be great to see a student section in So Cal.

Seriously, **** aTm. We have the best damn band in the land. Our pep band is amazing and I'm so glad that Bohn is supporting them. They make a huge difference.

I've been thinking about this and the more I think about it, the more impressed I get. The CU AD just bought 50 fans for life. The 50 students they take on this trip will likely be season ticket holders and boosters forever. This kind of thing goes a long, long way toward creating, maintaining and expanding the passion around CU athletics. There is so much win in this move I can't even put it into words. Simply fantastic move. I hope they do something similar for football bowl games. It creates a bond between the team and the students that is invaluable. If I could, I'd send Mike Bohn rep for this move. He's upped his game - a lot.

Like I posted in the other thread, not to be a downer, but the students will be liable for taxes. So, if the trip is worth $2,000, they will owe about $600 in tax. Of course, they probably have no income to begin with, :lol:

Like I posted in the other thread, not to be a downer, but the students will be liable for taxes. So, if the trip is worth $2,000, they will owe about $600 in tax. Of course, they probably have no income to begin with, :lol:
aint nothing to pay if you don't make any coin.

Seriously, **** aTm. We have the best damn band in the land. Our pep band is amazing and I'm so glad that Bohn is supporting them. They make a huge difference.

Won't hear any argument here lol. In the pac-12 I think we are by far the best marching band, no matter what USC claims. In basketball I haven't seen any of the others but I know we proved who was number 1 at the big12 tourney, I'm sure it will be a similar result this year

I'm not so sure....(not a tax attorney, accountant, or even particularly good at doing my own taxes). If you are going as a part of a group to represent an organization, rather than winning a trip that you can go on when you chose as an individual - are you liable? My thinking is the band members are not taxed - so if every member of the traveling C-unit is sent on a trip why would they be? Sure they may have to be officially registered as members - but I am thinking that this wouldn't have to be counted as direct income. Anyone know for sure?

I'm not so sure....(not a tax attorney, accountant, or even particularly good at doing my own taxes). If you are going as a part of a group to represent an organization, rather than winning a trip that you can go on when you chose as an individual - are you liable? My thinking is the band members are not taxed - so if every member of the traveling C-unit is sent on a trip why would they be? Sure they may have to be officially registered as members - but I am thinking that this wouldn't have to be counted as direct income. Anyone know for sure?
I think you're probably right. Imagine some on-campus club that wants to send a group of its members to the annual umbrella group shindig. They convince some department head to give them money to do this. Don't think that counts as "income" for the members. There probably does need to be some sort of membership in a group, but that's about it...

Corresponding non-university situation: you volunteer for some charity (habitat for humanity came to mind, but it could really be any group) - said group wants to send you and a few other volunteers to represent them in some project in a developing country, and the money is somehow found to do this. The "value" of that trip isn't "income" for you.

Pretty sure you are allowed to receive 10,000 dollars in gifts every year before having to pay taxes on it.

Back