What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU student section vs. CSU

Colorado (student) fans are the college football equivalent of Miami Heat fans. There's WAY more interesting things going on in Boulder, between the outdoors, partying, and beautiful women. I graduated in 2007, and the atmosphere shifted drastically after Hawkins came in. It's a legitimate joke on campus, and the games are just an excuse to get drunk at 8 AM. The general population on campus simply doesn't care. And to be honest, the administration doesn't mind this.
Agreed with all but your last sentence. I guess it depends on who the "administration" that you are talking about.

I'd rather aim my anger and disappointment on the negligent and apathetic school leadership who have wrapped Bill McCartney's Ferrari around a lamp post.

The hole has never been deeper.

Its foolish to pin blame on the lack of spirit displayed by students when the true root cause is an absence of football passion for fifteen years at the highest levels.

**** you Judith Albino. **** you Betsy Hoffman. **** you Hank Brown. **** you Phil DiStefano. Thanks for finally bank rolling the facilities project Bruce, but **** you, too, for not waking up and smelling the coffee back ten years ago. One more. **** you regents, for being pencil dicks with low expectations.

Very well said

Agreed with all but your last sentence. I guess it depends on who the "administration" that you are talking about.
the "DiStefano" administration. Basketball is much more palatable as a primary athletic identity... look at all the great programs that are seen as "academically superior". That's the identity that the Trustees want.

the "DiStefano" administration. Basketball is much more palatable as a primary athletic identity... look at all the great programs that are seen as "academically superior". That's the identity that the Trustees want.

You are right...if this was 2010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm amused that Tini is still out here, talking in absolutes, as if he has unique expertise on the subject of CU Athletics.

I'm amused that Tini is still out here, talking in absolutes, as if he has unique expertise on the subject of CU Athletics.

Give him some credit. He really stuck his neck today saying MacIntyre got outcoached.

You are right...if this was 2010

Actions (or inactions) taken in 2010 have consequences in 2014.
It's ok to hold leaders accountable going farther back than the current year.

I think I've seen a new commitment from the admin in the last couple of years, as if the light finally came on. Maybe they are getting pressure from their PAC 12 brethren to get with the program.

Absolutely, but Benson wants a big time football program and doesn't want his legacy to be the guy who killed CU football. Not excusing their prior actions at all, and they've got a big hill to climb because of them

No, actually it does... watch "The Waterboy" for an example of what happens to a team's fanbase when the team sucks for an extended period of time. Also, for an example of what happens to the fanbase, when the team stops sucking

Watch an Adam Sandler movie to learn how a fan base should support a winner? I didn't think it was possible, but the board just hit a new low.

Not sure I'm following? You think the attitude of the administration has improved/changed?

100% yes. I doubt they fire Bohn and go out and get RG and pay him $700K if they weren't. They've got a big ass hole to pull out of though, hope it's not too late

Absolutely, but Benson wants a big time football program and doesn't want his legacy to be the guy who killed CU football. Not excusing their prior actions at all, and they've got a big hill to climb because of them

Benson wanted the CU Medical Center more. That's why he built all those facilities in Aurora first.

I, for one, will never be able to look at that investment without remembering that night in Toledo, or that melt down in Lawrence, or that abortion in Fresno, or those Rammies dancing midfield at Folsom, or last night.

Completely agree... they created a negative feedback loop. I honestly don't see how they get out of this without winning, and to win, you have to schedule cupcakes and recruit risky players (JuCo's, transfers, etc.) and that doesn't appear to be on the table yet.

Ive never posted on here before but this game really left me with no other choice. A previous poster I think hit the nail on the head with our students that they do care more about drinking than the game. I graduated in '13 and that's spot on. Ill also admit that for football games I had a similar mindset at times, especially before I turned 21. I remember being more focused on locking down a plan on which house im pre-gamming at than the game itself.

Why is it like this? The obvious answer is how bad the team has been and I don't think its more complicated than that. If we were a top 25 team with exciting players who people came to games to see, no doubt the student section would be packed before the game started. I don't think any of this has to do with there being so much other stuff to do in Boulder, or that our students are entitled. There are a lot of things to do in Boulder, and our students do show a sense of entitlement, but that's not why theyr not showing up.

Look at Basketball, case and point. Once we got on track in basketball, everything changed. Our students are passionate and love our team and school, once the on the field product changes, our students will come.

Fans don't like following a consistent loser. If you're some random kid from California or Illinois who knows jack **** about CU football, there's not much reason to fervently support a consistent loser.

Seems to me the problem is that the admin- the president and chancellor- were too arrogant or just plain clueless that CU football needs to win to attract the students and fans. Bohn tried so hard to get people to Folsom with the discount tickets. Not really fair to those of us paying full price for all of these games. But they failed to see how keeping Hawkins another year would impact the school and team. So now if the students don't show or seem disinterested, who could blame them. They had a base of fans and students that they just disregarded IMO.

Why is this? I think there are a couple reasons. We have been so bad for so long that football has turned into a "joke" to the students going.
yep, that's my perception -- not unlike Duke students w/r/t football, actually

Let's remember that this isn't totally on the students. CSU plays this game up, big time. Our students are looking for reasons to be disinterested in football. But more importantly, Rick George did everything in his power to NOT pump this game. No marketing, nothing to get students excited. It doesn't surprise me in the least that the students and CU fans were lethargic.
well said.

There wasn't a peep out of CSU's side for 3.5 quarters
we must've been in different stadiums. I was in the lower corner of the endzone with the CSU student section to my left and they stayed fired up.

Of course all of those rabid supporters will be up at Hughes to support their team against UC Davis and Tulsa. That is why I hate CSU fan. Win or lose they abandon their team after their Super Bowl, yet they love to crow about their game against the Buffs. 3 weeks from now, I'll ask them what they thought of CSU's game over the weekend, and I'll get a blank stare.
in fairness, i bet you know a lot of Broncos "fans" who can tell you they played the Seahawks in the SuperBowl but not who they're opening against next week. fair analogy?

Colorado (student) fans are the college football equivalent of Miami Heat fans. There's WAY more interesting things going on in Boulder, between the outdoors, partying, and beautiful women. I graduated in 2007, and the atmosphere shifted drastically after Hawkins came in. It's a legitimate joke on campus, and the games are just an excuse to get drunk at 8 AM. The general population on campus simply doesn't care. And to be honest, the administration doesn't mind this.
yeah, Duke football fans.

Fans don't like following a consistent loser. If you're some random kid from California or Illinois who knows jack **** about CU football, there's not much reason to fervently support a consistent loser.
well said

This place would be great if it wasn't for the customers.
always a good reminder.

Back