What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU to be 6-0 heading into Coliseum?

No. 4-2 would be amazing, and would swiftly crumble as the frosh hit the wall etc.

downer1.jpg

Waaay too early to do this, but:

CSU W
SS W
@FS L
@WSU W
UCLA L
ASU W
@USC L
@OU L
Furd L
@Zona W
Wash L
Utah L

5 - 7
Losing to Fresno? Come on man! With three of our first four games having a new coaching staff there's no reason we shouldn't be 3-1 at the worst.

As others have said, it's way too early to get too far into this, but this schedule shapes up a bit like last year. There will be some winnable games early in the season, but we can easily drop those if we don't execute well. I'd say we need to win three of the first four to have a shot at a bowl game.

The middle portion of the season looks to be rough, no two ways about it. UCLA, USC, Oregon and Stanford are teams that should have a significant talent advantage over us. Hopefully we can at least keep the games more competitive than they were last year. But the last quarter of the season will again feature some opportunities to gain some traction if we can weather the storm. Two of three down the stretch again might just get us to a bowl game. But let's see what happens in the spring and then in fall camp.

As others have said, it's way too early to get too far into this, but this schedule shapes up a bit like last year. There will be some winnable games early in the season, but we can easily drop those if we don't execute well. I'd say we need to win three of the first four to have a shot at a bowl game.

The middle portion of the season looks to be rough, no two ways about it. UCLA, USC, Oregon and Stanford are teams that should have a significant talent advantage over us. Hopefully we can at least keep the games more competitive than they were last year. But the last quarter of the season will again feature some opportunities to gain some traction if we can weather the storm. Two of three down the stretch again might just get us to a bowl game. But let's see what happens in the spring and then in fall camp.

excellent take!

Fresno game concerns me. They have a decent QB. That might all you need to beat us early on.

Fresno game concerns me. They have a decent QB. That might all you need to beat us early on.

If we lose to Fresno, the season is gone. Seriously. I don't care how good their QB is. We shouldn't lose to them. I know the game is on the road. We still shouldn't lose to them.

6-0 is a pipe dream, but it's a nice pipe dream.

Yes, it is Carr's brother. I think we can beat Fresno, just concerned how quickly it will take the offense to get up to speed early on.

If we lose to Fresno, the season is gone. Seriously. I don't care how good their QB is. We shouldn't lose to them. I know the game is on the road. We still shouldn't lose to them.

6-0 is a pipe dream, but it's a nice pipe dream.

Is 4-2 a pipe dream? Thats what I'm hoping for. A sweep in the OOC and 1 of the 3 of UCLA, ASU and Wazzu.

Anything less than a 4-2 start will be a dissapointment IMO

Yes, it is Carr's brother. I think we can beat Fresno, just concerned how quickly it will take the offense to get up to speed early on.

I believe Fresno will be breaking in a new HC so it may take some time for them to adjust to a new system. Can hope anyway.

Just don't lose to Sac State! Not sure the Pac-12's rep can take two teams in two years losing to that team.

I believe Fresno will be breaking in a new HC so it may take some time for them to adjust to a new system. Can hope anyway.

Definitely an advantage for us. First time HC too.

I think it will be a close game either way.

I was thinkging RB and WR, but you're right about Wood. PRich returning, so he's not part of your "better" claim. Who are the other proven commodities? Sounds like a bunch of hope."

No offense, but this is a circular argument. Other posters have made similar arguments, so you are not alone.

If a player was a "proven commodity", then how would radical improvement be possible? It is only because there is new talent, which by definition is unproven, that there can be significant improvement.

Yes, a player can make marginal improvements over time like Hansen did last year--but still, in his case, there were way too many incomplete passes on 5 and 10 yard passes. Or in the case of P-rich stop dropping so many easy balls.

Woods has been preparing for over a year, and there are 2 or 3 easy games for the freshman to adjust to the college level, then a nice, steady ramp up of competition.

The incoming receivers are all super talented and super competitive. They are going to make a difference. As a squad, the WR's are going to be improved from last year.

I would like us to be competitive against Udub, UCLA, and Stanford. Those will be extremely difficult games for us to win. The thing going in our favor is that both UCLA and Stanford might have Qb problems. Stanford's next Qb looked terrible in the spring game last year...Mora might completely change his offense with that dual threat prospect they signed.

I think 7-5 is about right. Say 40% or so. Maybe a 50% of being 6-6. We should be able to find a way to beat Wazza and Zona; we will match up much better this year with the new defense.

Fresno is not nearly as good as Cal was last year. Fresno will probably give a competitive game, but we have a major talent advantage. I like our chances.

I'm not drinking the koolaid like I did last year. We're a young team with the aforementioned 1st year players at key positions. We just barely managed to break a woeful road steak last year against a Mountain West-level team that was caught napping. I'm not taking Fresno or Wazzu for granted. I'd rather expect another year of growing pains, and be pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong; I think this year's recruiting haul will help us be very competitive in 2013.

3-3 sounds right, and it's going to be difficult to pick up more than 1 more win (Utah or ASU) from that point on. Gonna try to go to that Arizona for my first away game ever (other than Denver).

I said last year I thought the Hawaii game would set the tone for the season and sadly it did. Not to put undue pressure on him, but I believe this year we go as far as Connor Wood takes us. We need a QB who makes a difference and can win a game with his talent alone. I liked Hansen, but he was never going to be that guy. I'm optimistic CW can be that guy, but if he isn't it's going to be another long year. Too much inexperience (albeit some talent) at too many positions for the QB of this team to just be average. We don't know what we have in him as he's never played so we're all just guessing. Think of the teams that thrived because of the QB last year alone. Baylor, Stanford, Okie St to name three. They had some talent around them to be sure, but put Hansen on those teams and they aren't winning conference titles and BCS games. Hopefully Wood will develop into that type of player. For CU to get back to greatness the QB has to be great.

This team will be a lot more talented than last years team, even if much of that talent is very young. We will be much better in the defensive backfield, we will be young but more athletic and deeper in the D-line. Some depends on injuries but we should be better at LB as well. Rippy is a question mark due to the injury but Webb should be much better and Daugh showed signs of bieng a good one as a true fr. We also had a number of other good fr. who could and should step up.

QB will be less experienced but more talented, our RBs will not be as explosive as Speedy ( or maybe so, one might surprise like Speedy did) but much more physical. PRich healthy at WR should make a difference and while none of the others are as talented as Clemons was yet we have more depth again. Last year Deehan was a better TE than anybody is likely to be this year but we didn't use him much in the passing game so we likely won't lose much if any production. OL is a big questionmark but I see some good young talent there.

That all said talent isn't going to be what makes a difference for this team. The biggest question is how fast and far do they go in overcoming the lingering shadow of the Hawkins attitudes. Winning at Utah was huge last year to get the monkey of their back but this team still needs to come to believe they can win on the road. They also have to figure out that they can win close games at the end. With Hawkins the team came to expect that if there was a way to lose they would find it and they usually did. The Kansas game was the ultimate example but they had plenty of others. Somehow they have to win some close ones, pull some out in the end, make the big play instead of the big mistake. This is what I think will ultimately decide our record in the end. I expect that Embree and company are working very hard on changing those attitudes and eventually it will happen but I don't know how long it will take to get there.

CU vs CSU: CU (no contest)

CheerTeam.jpg

CU vs Sac St: CU (no contest)

6e2ccf8ce024c013f70e6a7067006281.jpg

CU vs. Fresno St: CU (close one; they play like rabid dogs at home)

fresno_state_cheerleaders.jpg

CU vs. Wash State: Wash State (tough venue; takes 4 days to get there)

WSU-39111.jpg

CU vs. fUCLA: fUCLA (better coach than before and they have half of Cal's old recruits)

ucla-cheerleader.jpg

CU vs. Arizona State: CU (Meh...why not?)

ASU-Cheerleader.jpg

4-2 likely but will cheering for you against the baby bears.

It's best to ignore this thread, Flukes. For some reason, every year, before we know anything about personnel or injury status, we convince ourselves that true freshmen are going to come in and make a huge difference and then manufacture about 20 other reasons why our team will be better than the previous year's without any rational justification.

It drives me absolutely bat**** crazy.

It's best to ignore this thread, Flukes. For some reason, every year, before we know anything about personnel or injury status, we convince ourselves that true freshmen are going to come in and make a huge difference and then manufacture about 20 other reasons why our team will be better than the previous year's without any rational justification.

It drives me absolutely bat**** crazy.

This thread does sound very familiar...According to another board I frequent, a certain Norcal team is likely to go undefeated and play in the Rose Bowl this year. Either that or wind up 5-7, 7-5, 6-6, 8-4 etc. despite not even knowing who is starting this year. The off season is fun stuff indeed.

Back