What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU VB 2016-17 schedule

BeBe

Club Member
Club Member
CU has not yet posted the volleyball non-conference schedule but some schools have posted their schedules. Looking at them, (courtesy of the "Schedules" thread in Volleytalk) we gather the following for the Buffs:

In Boulder, September 2,3 Penn State reports it will be playing Colorado and Stanford. I assume this is the Big10/PAC 12 challenge and that the fourth team is Illinois, as it was last season at Penn State. The Big 10 schools play the 2 PAC 12 schools and vice versa.

In San Diego, September 8-10 San Diego says they are hosting a 4 team tournament with the 3 visiting teams participating being Colorado, Univ California at Irvine, and UCLA. I assume that CU will play Irvine and San Diego, not UCLA.

These 2 weekends are a challenging start to the season for the volleybuffs. All of the teams that CU will face, except for Cal Irvine, finished last season ranked in the top 25 in the country per Pablo rankings. CU finished with a Pablo ranking of 36 and Irvine finished at 103.

We will likely see 2 more weekends of non-conference play. The first weekend of play is usually the last weekend of August.

Per Volleytalk (thanks to poster speegs13), CSU just tweeted out their non-conference schedule, which includes:
"
9/16 New Orleans
9/17 @ Colorado, Chicago State
"
(If interested, read more at http://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/63130/2016-fall-schedules#ixzz49mr61iW6 .)

So, assume that's a small tournament CU will be hosting that weekend, and CU will be playing CSU and the other 2 teams the Rams are playing.
(Probably just paranoid after last season's RPI issues for the Buffs, and of course EVERY team I assume plays some low RPI opponents in non-conf., but hope that New Orleans and Chicago State are the worst potential RPI teams the Buffs play in the off-season by a lot as, at least last year, they both ended up with low RPI's, at 248 and 305, respectively. (At least New Orleans had a winning record, 19-16, so they wouldn't be too damaging based on the RPI formula if they can repeat or improve on that this season. Chicago State, on the other hand, was 1-27.)

Edit- Went and looked at the CSU schedule and, as would be assumed, looks like the match with them will be the evening match (7:30 scheduled start) on 9/17.

Last edited:
The first weekend of the non-conference schedule is on the road at the Portland State tourney. CU will play Texas Tech on 8/26 at 6:30 PM PT, Portland State at 9:30 AM PT on 8/27 and Long Beach State at 6:00 PM PT on 8/27. Based on what's on the Portland State schedule, it looks like there will be video of all the matches. Not the toughest of matches but probably a decent way to start the season. Last seasons final Pablo rankings of these teams : Texas Tech 106; Portland State 191; Long Beach State 34. CU finished last season at 36 in the Pablo rankings.

http://www.goviks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=109&path=wvball

After seeing that CSU has released their schedule, I am looking forward to CU doing the same.

I wish I could come to Boulder for the B1G/Pac12 Challenge, but I can't come then and in November--unless my dad wins the lottery between now and then.

Hopefully, CU will live stream the home matches.

So hoping that the November home matches coincide with women's basketball exhibition games. I can't afford to stay for a week.....

I do see that CU is live streaming some matches and I've complained again about watching matches online in real time. Dish blames Pac 12 Networks, but Pac 12 Networks took the time to actually call me to explain what was happening as of February 1 and they say it's a Dish issue.

Back