What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. Mich: Are you at all happy with Buffs' performance?

Now that I am at work and talking to others that casually follow the scores. (didn't watch the game, or casually flipped past it occasionally)
CU has a reputation for bad defense, got beat convincingly with 45 points being scored on them, to them the game was not even close.
Since the special teams cost them 21 points, 14 directly, and the Buffs missed an easy field goal, I would say that is a little harsh...

4Q Kansas meltdown gets no respect. (Sorry for bringing that up)

It got Hawkins fired, so it's a special case that is impossible to quantify. On its own in a vacuum, the game itself was somewhere in the 7th-9th circle. But in context of what it finally made happen, I almost celebrate that game.

It got Hawkins fired, so it's a special case that is impossible to quantify. On its own in a vacuum, the game itself was somewhere in the 7th-9th circle. But in context of what it finally made happen, I almost celebrate that game.
what ring is 70-3 in?

what ring is 70-3 in?

Wow. Not as bad as Fresno State or an FCS loss. I'd give it a 7th Ring of Buff Hell rating.

But if you put it in context of it resulting in replacement of Barnett with Hawkins, it spirals down to a 9th Ring day.

I'm proud of the team. I'm disappointed in the coaching.

The conservative/scared/give up/whatever you want to call it offensive play calling (that started at the end of the first half) is on the coaches.

The piss poor special teams is on the coaches.

Fix those things, and even with the injuries this is a closer game and probably 50/50 for a win.

There are now two losses in the last two years that I pin entirely on the coaches: Hawaii and Michigan.

Wow. Not as bad as Fresno State or an FCS loss. I'd give it a 7th Ring of Buff Hell rating.

But if you put it in context of it resulting in replacement of Barnett with Hawkins, it spirals down to a 9th Ring day.
ok one more for giggles.

Kordell's bounce passing game vs Nubs in 1994?

The there is the 2008 game against Mizzou where Coach Hawkins decided not to kick a FG and subsequently distroyed the 223 game CU streak for not being shut out. Mizzou 58 - CU 0.

That was a hellish afternoon.

ok one more for giggles.

Kordell's bounce passing game vs Nubs in 1994?

In retrospect, as bad as I felt at the time, it was like a white whine. I didn't know at the time what true hell was. Lots of pain, but without the despair of 7-9. That game was a 6th ringer.

Sounds good.

Dante's 9 Rings of Buff Hell Loss Meter

1st ring: Road loss at Georgia and bowl loss to Alabama.
2nd ring: Road losses at Florida State & Michigan that salted the wound with injuries.
3rd ring: All the close Pac-12 losses to teams that made bowl games.
4th ring: OSU and WSU home losses to bad teams that came down to final drives.
5th ring: Numerous Pac-12 games from 1st roadie vs Cal to last year vs Stanford that saw CU overwhelmed.
6th ring: Nebraska 2010 that cost us a bowl and Hawaii 2015 opener that pulled the rug out.
7th ring: Any loss to CSU.
8th ring: FCS losses to Montana State and Sacramento State.
9th ring: Fresno State game. It is impossible to go any lower.

The Toledo game should be in the 8th or 9th ring. A special moment in Hell.

Watched both halves on youtube.
I'm proud that it looks like the defense kept playing hard but very disappointed with the kick coverage units and the punt team. Our return teams played well in this game.
And I'm disappointed in our coaches...I put this loss mostly on them.

November 12, 1988 is still the toughest loss for me. Similar to the loss Saturday in many respects. A team fighting for national respect after years of futility. CU had either just cracked the top 20 or were getting votes. Playing a top 10 team tough in their house and JJ is on the loose...

We all know what happened in '89 and '90 though.

I would feel much better about the loss if we hadn't suffered the devastating injuries that came with it. I saw enough to give me hope... but I worry that this team can hold it together without those key players.

Wasn't expecting a win but after watching 1st Q was hoping we could sustain it but so much time left. Our DBs and WRs are top notch. Never would have predicted the beyond horrible Special Teams play. Sefo getting hurt was sadly only a matter of time with how many hard hits he takes every game. Montez wasn't ready for the big stage obviously.
Now I just feel disappointed since a better all around effort may have resulted in a W. Time for moral victories is gone though. Need 3-4 PAC wins. Oregon is vulnerable, too bad Sefo is likely out. Buff luck.

I wasn't happy nor will I ever be with a loss, but I wasn't really all that bothered either. People get injured playing football, dem are the breaks. If we stayed healthy I think we could've been right there in that game until the end which is more than I figured going into the game. Can't say I'm excited about seeing the special teams on display for the remainder of the year.. although in years past Toby would always somehow debut the worst ST ever in the early season OOC and then somehow right the ship when we got into conference play against superior opponents and athletes. Maybe they just don't emphasize it in fall camp or something?

Montez threw a couple of good looking long balls before they reined him in. The TD pass to Frazier hit him right in hands. Then the play calling became the offensive version of the prevent.

Watched both halves on youtube.
I'm proud that it looks like the defense kept playing hard but very disappointed with the kick coverage units and the punt team. Our return teams played well in this game.
And I'm disappointed in our coaches...I put this loss mostly on them.

Yes, I guess I'd have to agree because ultimately they recruited the players that cannot even consistently execute a routine punt. The coaches need better players when playing top 5 ranked teams on the road. The only proven and time-tested way to get better is to recruit better players.

I haven't seen this discussed yet, but unfortunately one issue you have with this type of hurry-up offense is leaving tons of time on the clock. That first half against Michigan was maybe the longest first half I've ever seen. Probably has more to do with CU being up early and me constantly looking at the clock, but was definitely a factor, I thought.

Last edited:
Sounds good.

Dante's 9 Rings of Buff Hell Loss Meter

1st ring: Road loss at Georgia and bowl loss to Alabama.
2nd ring: Road losses at Florida State & Michigan that salted the wound with injuries.
3rd ring: All the close Pac-12 losses to teams that made bowl games.
4th ring: OSU and WSU home losses to bad teams that came down to final drives.
5th ring: Numerous Pac-12 games from 1st roadie vs Cal to last year vs Stanford that saw CU overwhelmed.
6th ring: Nebraska 2010 that cost us a bowl and Hawaii 2015 opener that pulled the rug out.
7th ring: Any loss to CSU.
8th ring: FCS losses to Montana State and Sacramento State.
9th ring: Fresno State game. It is impossible to go any lower.
How does Toledo not make that list?

Back