What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs. Notre Dame 1991 (aka National Champs baby!) on at 7 pm MDT

So, would we have been better off running a fake punt rather than kicking to the Rocket at the end of the game?

Discuss.

Would have been better off kneeling the ball 3 times rather than drop back & pass for negaitve 30....crap, you don't take the 5 yard penalty and Rouen kicks it in the end zone even

im stunned a game from 19 years ago still pisses you off simply shocking:lol:

This from a guy who posts 3, 000 times on recruiting day..:rolleyes:

Yeah, what a jerk,being ticked about losing a National championship after we dominated the first half and scored zero points. That's called being a fan dooshbag. Ask boulder buff about auburn-alabama and see if people there still get irked over games 10-15-20 years ago.......

Would have been better off kneeling the ball 3 times rather than drop back & pass for negaitve 30....crap, you don't take the 5 yard penalty and Rouen kicks it in the end zone even

And who was the O-COORDINATOR for this game? That's right Barnett.

The thing that gets me every time I see that our last drive was we were controlling the clock by just doing what we did late in games all year, play smashmouth football, wearing them out and runnign out the clock. Hemmingway was running right down the Irish throats and then we decide to get fancy and try to throw. :wow:

The thing that gets me every time I see that our last drive was we were controlling the clock by just doing what we did late in games all year, play smashmouth football, wearing them out and runnign out the clock. Hemmingway was running right down the Irish throats and then we decide to get fancy and try to throw. :wow:

They showed a stat during the game that stated CJ was the first QB since 1984 to complete more than 10 passes in a game, I dont understand why we weren't throwing the ball more :huh:

That sounds like the same problem we've had the past decade, if somethings really working (ie: running down their throats) lets try something else

I try and get excited when the '91 Orange Bowl comes on, but it's hard to do. The 10-9 game was just an imperfect way to end an imperfect season.

No team with more than one loss had (to that point) ever won a title.
"Fifth down" hung over the entire game like a black cloud.
No domination (did you see the stat that every other New Year's day game that day was a blowout? An average of 28 points - including Nebraska's lay down to Georgia Tech). A 10-9 game doesn't have many highlights.
The punt return. Even when it looked like the Buffs were going to be able to celebrate, there was one last controversy.

I can remember getting up early the next day, waiting for the polls to come out. The AP poll came out in the morning, but I didn't find out about the coaches' poll until that night after work. Instead of being able to celebrate, it was a let down.

The Buffs - and their fans - deserve a clear-cut, unshared, unapologetic championship.

I'm ready. Practice starts a month from today. Go Buffs! :thumbsup:

Winner!! Whenever that game comes on or is mentioned that's the first thing that comes to my mind, not the clip. I didn't catch the replay last night but from what I recall, here's my recollection: Tough game where points are at a premium and we get the ball around our own 20 with something like 10-12 minutes left, and we proceed to methodically move the ball on the ground churning out first downs and more importantly running down the clock. Then we get down to about the 20 (maybe even inside the 20), at which point we're in FG range, worst case. Then the debacle starts - between the penalties and the sacks we got backed up to like the 45 yard line!! :bang: I distinctly remember on 1st or 2nd down where we take a deep sack and even Walsh comes out states "Strange call...".

Once we got that first down at around the 20, the play-calling should've been reduced to 3 line smashes. And with the way we had been moving the ball, that may very well have got us into the end zone!!!!

On a different note, the Big 10 Network showed CU-Illinois 1990 again last night. I like that they're digging deep, but how about showing: CU-Illinois 1989, CU-Michigan 1994, CU-Iowa 1988/1992, CU-Minnesota 1991/1992, CU-Wisconsin 1994/1995...

Wow, we played the Big 10 alot back then.

In 1978 at iowa state they left the sprinklers on for 24 hours straight - You play the conditions.

Let's not forget Mizzou putting sand on their OmniTurf to give the kitties a slippery homefield advantage because they sucked at the time.

It didnt come on till 11 here in NM so it just got over with about 30 minutes ago. I get the same unsatisfied feeling about that game as others here. GB's play calling was horrible. Hemmingway was a stud, we need a fb like that now. What happened to him? He was NFL material, no doubt. Anybody know? It was a clip, would he have made the tackle? Who knows? It wasnt like he was 20 yards from the ball and the guy was an all big 8 safety so he probably knows how to tackle. All I got to say is scoreboard, F!ck notre dame.

Hemmingway was a stud, we need a fb like that now. What happened to him? He was NFL material, no doubt. Anybody know?

I know that was on the Cleveland Browns for some time, although I don't think he ever accumulated stats or played in a game, then he went on to Arena ball for a year.

I know that was on the Cleveland Browns for some time, although I don't think he ever accumulated stats or played in a game, then he went on to Arena ball for a year.

Dang it Cleveland leave our fullbacks alone.

Whenever we have had a real dominant running game, we have had a good fullback. I still think we missed Hemmingway in a big way in the '90 Orange bowl when Mac suspended him. We could have used him in several situations (1st and goal from the 1=4 and out) to name one. That game could have had a different outcome had he been there.

Damn that team was big everywhere except for qb and tb. Our safeties looked like Atwater lol. There was alot of talent on that team and the 90 team. IMHO, the 1994 team was the best Ive seen since ive been watching, maybe not on D tho.​

Damn that team was big everywhere except for qb and tb. Our safeties looked like Atwater lol. There was alot of talent on that team and the 90 team. IMHO, the 1994 team was the best Ive seen since ive been watching, maybe not on D tho.​

'94 was most talented, but I bet the '89 team could have given the '94 team a run for the money. Before the Nebraska game in '89, no team had finished within 17 points of CU.

Whenever we have had a real dominant running game, we have had a good fullback. I still think we missed Hemmingway in a big way in the '90 Orange bowl when Mac suspended him. We could have used him in several situations (1st and goal from the 1=4 and out) to name one. That game could have had a different outcome had he been there.

i believe another was on a fake FG. i believe his replacement ran the wrong route or something. i believe the story is that he put a hole in the wall with his fist when he watched the play. had the route been run properly, the story goes it would have been a easy TD.

or, maybe im just making that up?

i believe another was on a fake FG. i believe his replacement ran the wrong route or something. i believe the story is that he put a hole in the wall with his fist when he watched the play. had the route been run properly, the story goes it would have been a easy TD.

or, maybe im just making that up?

I know GH was a good recieving FB and caught several short TD passes in the '89 season. On the play you described, Jeff Cambell (who was the holder) was supposed to throw to someone, but no one was open so Soupy ran and was stopped. Your story fits well with that. I bet GH was supposed to be the guy to catch it.

'94 was most talented, but I bet the '89 team could have given the '94 team a run for the money. Before the Nebraska game in '89, no team had finished within 17 points of CU.

89 and 90 had better defenses. Offenses were great, would have been interesting to see who won the qb battle.

We had an attitude back then and guys were nasty and just wanted to beat the living hell out of you. They took it to heart when somebody scored on them and came out even nastier.

Would like to see that attitude back again. Macs teams were filled with very good asst. coaches.

Interesting - I just watched this game and something pretty amazing almost happened. With about 11 minutes left, CU has a field goal attempt blocked. The blocked ball careens toward the end zone, and a Notre Dame defender, similar to Leon Lett in the snow on Thanksgiving, runs after the ball and touches it in the end zone. A CU player tries to pounce on it but it goes out of the back of the end zone. Almost 17-9 right there, and perhaps the game plays out differently such as there is no split NC.

Back